Mae Taeng Foothills Mtb Ride 2-Heart Break Ridge

T_Dog

Getting there:

Heading north on HWY107 just past milepost 32, turn on the village road at the kmz file named Khi Lek. You can park in this area and ride up the road. Riding or driving, keep to the left at the temple a few kilometers up the road until you find yourself at the trailhead kmz. There are many trails heading off into the forest on both sides of the road so make sure you are the one designated by the kmz.

The other kmz files show routes after major intersections. Ignore the many minor trails that come and go off the main route. If you get lost, back track.

This route comes out on HWY 1095 and you can find several lunch spots near the traffic light just east of where you come out. You can ride back to Khi Lek on the highway or do U-turn and ride the trail back.

Khi Lek.kmz

Left at Main.kmz

Left at temple fork.kmz

Right Turn at Pwr Line.kmz

Stay right at ridge top to 1095.kmz

Trail Head.kmz

• Like 1

The left turn from HWY 107 at Khi Lek can be hard to find so here is a photo of that small intersection. This whole inside the trail head is loaded with single track.

Couldn't you find a space to put your own sign up? biggrin.png

I have no idea why a quiet lane would be so popular! I think though that Soi Wat Umong off Suthep Road by CMU holds the record for the most signs.

Thanks TDog! Great video & soundtrack. The conditions look really good, considering its just a few days ago! I'm looking forward to explore this area.

Thanks again for great info!

Tonto21 did the video and I agree he did a great job. Have fun riding the trails, and let us know how you like it up there. By the way, if you zoom in on Google Earth most of the trails should highlight. (The trail after the right turn at the power line heading north toward 1095 does appear however.) Make a screen shot and print it off and you have a map for the ride. Edited by T_Dog

I went out to ride Tdog and Tonto21's heartbreak ridge this morning.

Summary:

Mostly easy-intermediate with a few short, steep and loose surface climbs. There is a whole network of trails out there but my kmz only shows the most direct main loop. The main loop is too short a ride for such a long drive to get to, but the complexity of the network suggests that one should be able to keep riding out there for a few hours at least. More exploration needed!

Date ridden:

21 Oct 2012

Weather and conditions:

Sunny, hot, very dry! Trail is well maintained and short sleeves were ok. Surface was very dry, mostly dry packed earth, but some sand, and some steep climbs on very loose surfaces.

The terrain was very similar to Australian bush.

Bike setup:

Rigid touring bike, 42mm knobby tires (Schwalbe Marathon Extremes).

Notes:

42 mm tires were ok for most of the ride except on the steep climbs. I had tire pressures at a minimum, but still could not get enough traction. I think the ideal setup for this trail would be a hard tail with 1.75" knobby tires.

No services on the ride itself but the usual small shops in Khi Lek with drinks and snacks. The trails are not far from civilisation and you can regularly see villagers on motorcycle.

Looking forward to revisiting and mapping out more routes. Thanks TDog and Tonto21!

TDog's Heartbreak ridge.kmz

post-104677-0-59895800-1350805730_thumb.

post-104677-0-88326900-1350805745_thumb.

post-104677-0-98974700-1350805763_thumb.

Edited by BBbUn
  • Like 2

I went out to ride Tdog and Tonto21's heartbreak ridge this morning.

Summary:

Mostly easy-intermediate with a few short, steep and loose surface climbs. There is a whole network of trails out there but my kmz only shows the most direct main loop. The main loop is too short a ride for such a long drive to get to, but the complexity of the network suggests that one should be able to keep riding out there for a few hours at least. More exploration needed!

Date ridden:

21 Oct 2012

Weather and conditions:

Sunny, hot, very dry! Trail is well maintained and short sleeves were ok. Surface was very dry, mostly dry packed earth, but some sand, and some steep climbs on very loose surfaces.

The terrain was very similar to Australian bush.

Bike setup:

Rigid touring bike, 42mm knobby tires (Schwalbe Marathon Extremes).

Notes:

42 mm tires were ok for most of the ride except on the steep climbs. I had tire pressures at a minimum, but still could not get enough traction. I think the ideal setup for this trail would be a hard tail with 1.75" knobby tires.

No services on the ride itself but the usual small shops in Khi Lek with drinks and snacks. The trails are not far from civilisation and you can regularly see villagers on motorcycle.

Looking forward to revisiting and mapping out more routes. Thanks TDog and Tonto21!

BB.... Glad to hear you got out there, and even more glad you didn't get lost up there from my rather loose directions. That is indeed the shortest route through the area and I usually come in from 1095 on some lower trails and work my way up to the trail head. Lots of trails like you said. Glad you did it, and as far as I know, you are only the fourth mountain biker to be on those trails.

Tried to upload a gpx file that combines three foothills ride into one 36 kilometer tour with 500 meters of vertical but for some reason that is not allowed. I rode it today and had a great slow time out. About the only time I got to normal speeds I ended up not seeing some Mimosa scrub brush thorns that took a good bite out of me. With the weather change to dryer conditions, lots of spider webs on the trail mostly from the Gasteracantha Hesselte spiked orb weaver. (What a mouthful!) Had one guy looking like a Ninja warrior hitch a ride for a while. They bite like a red ant but not poisonous. Even with the bright sun today, well over half of this ride was in the shade. At any rate, if you want the gpx file, send me a PM with your email address.

post-498-0-63466700-1351073039_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-14747300-1351073322_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-56913300-1351073535_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-09033600-1351073785_thumb.jpg

post-498-0-61830400-1351073971_thumb.jpg