Bookshops: Bangkok Vs. Chiangmai

isanbirder

I did say I would report on my experience... on a thread which is now closed.... so here goes.

I had limited time to spare, so I went to Dasa, the small shop on Sukhumvit soi 24, and was going to Elite, but Dasa told me it only stocked Japanese books these days. I also went to the Kunokuniya branch in Emporium.

At Dasa, the staff were very friendly and helpful... couldn't have been nicer. Their stock is well arranged, but far smaller than the stock of the Gecko and Backstreet groups in Chiangmai. 'Classics' were mixed up with general fiction. Natural History had one shelf half-filled. The prices were very variable compared with Chiangmai. I bought an Amitav Ghosh book for 230, which I thought was fair for this fashionable author. 90 each for three Elizabeth Peters books (pulp, but they appeal to my quirky sense of humour). This was cheap. 150 for a Ngaio Marsh in excellent condition, a bit expensive.

The little shop on soi 24 is stacked to the rafters, and largely disorganised. I had a quick look, but decided it wasn't worth spending any more time on it, though it could be hiding gems. I saw nobody in the shop, not even a staff member!

I then went to Kunokuniya, where I bought a discounted Amitav Ghosh for 190... perhaps the one at Dasa wasn't so reasonable! Depending on the published price, books at Kunokuniya can be very competitive.

This is far too limited to be a fair comparison.... but I offer it for what it's worth.

It's been a long while since I went to Bangkok, and the last time I was there, and was able to attend the weekend Chatujak Market, I only had enough time to briefly visit the area where Buddha images, animist art, supposedly ancient beads, etc., are sold.

But, adjacent to that area of Chatujak is where you will find second hand book-dealers who are offering an ever-changing stock of books on Buddhist Art, Thai Culture, Thai History, etc., many in English translation. And, years ago, that was where I would find great values in large-format books on Thai Buddhist and animist iconography. They would often have many English language "coffee table" books on Art, Architecture, Graphic Design, etc. Also, there, at Chatujak, I would find really rare out-of-print books in English like the young anthropologist Richard B. Davis' book on his ethnographic studies in Nan province, and Premchit and Dore's incredible book on northern Thai (Lanna) traditions organized by months of the year.

That's not where I'd look for second-hand modern fiction in English, current English best-sellers, of course.

But, perhaps: a resource to keep in mind ?

I do know that Chiang Mai's Shaman Bookstore has its main store in Bangkok, on Khao San road, but I never visited it.

Apropos of English language books in Chiang Mai: I recently went to both Suriwong and DK, and they both appear to me to have drastically reduced their inventories of books in English. Asia Books has a "zone" in the big bookstore within Robinson Airport Plaza, 3rd. floor, with a limited inventory, and, in that area, you'll also find a limited inventory of White Lotus press books. At the actual Airport: Asia Books has a small store where you can pay more for the same book you could buy at the Asia Book "zone" in Robinson's. Sic semper airportus gougeit ?

BookAZine will also have selected Asia Books, and White Lotus inventory. I've lost track of where the current BookAZine branches in CM are, and Google is no help locating them.

~o:37;

Edited by orang37

I love books, I love holding them, collecting them, looking at them (as a collection), even the smell of old ones. Every few years I would have a painful clean out and still not get rid of anywhere near what I should, keeping books that I have not read for years but just looking at the title would remind me of the account.

My son dragged myself and my father reluctantly into this century when he got us ereaders. We now probably read more than ever before, and have greater access to books wherever we are. He hooked us up with some pirate Russian site operating and we have the latest bestsellers, esoteric masterpieces, classics, every genre of fiction imagineable and a impressive non fiction catalogue as well.

One initial probelm is that like a drowning man I grabbed at everything and found myself starting and not finishing books (for the first time ever). Now that I am assured of continued availability I have become more judicious.

Elsewheer there is a suprising amount of books about Thailand and a growing Thai language library available.

Added bonus is they do so much more now as far as email etc.

Great for planes, waiting for wifey at appointments, or when I reach Thai soap overload (approximately 7.30pm every night).

Took me a while to get used to it but I am now a convert.

Having said that.....still have'nt got rid of my physical collection yetthumbsup.gif

Edited by mamborobert

Chiang Mai has a good selection of second hand book stores but Kunokuniya at Siam Paragon in BKK is the best I've found so far for a massive range of new books.

I agree with this poster. When it was opened (maybe 8 years ago or so) there was an extensive article on this store and the Bangkokpost article said it was the largest English language bookstore in SE Asia. It is much bigger than the one at Emporuium (a sister store of Paragon, by the way) and has a nice coffee shop inside (which Emporium does not have).

But if the initial poster goes to Asia Books, also in the Paragon shopping center but one floor lower, on the 3rd floor I believe, you can get new books CHEAPER than at Kunokunya. Make sure to get their 10% discount card. They sometimes also run buy 3 get one free sales.

The largest Asia Book Store in Bangkok is on Sukhumvit Road, near the Grand Sheraton Hotel.

For used books, the backpacker area in Bangkok (easily accessible by river boat) has about a dozen used book stores and I've found their prices to be much cheaper than the bookstores here in CM.

Chiang Mai has a good selection of second hand book stores but Kunokuniya at Siam Paragon in BKK is the best I've found so far for a massive range of new books.

Completely agree and it has a nice coffee shop too.

But cheapr is Asia Books especially if you get their 10% discount card. Also, they sometimes have buy 3 get 1 free type sales. Their biggest store is on Sukhumvit near the Grand Sheraton Hotel.

Used book stores, in my opinion, are cheaper in Bangkok than in CM. Try the backpacker area which has a dozen or so such places. You can access it easily by river boat.