Need Some Advice On Windows 7 Ultimate

sezzo

Hello,

I recently bought a new desktop computer with the normal pirate copy of Windows 7 that is normally loaded on new computers. As I like to be able to receive updates on Windows I got a registered copy of Windows 7 Ultimate along with the activation code. I had this loaded and everything seemed ok until I attempted to connect to the internet. My computer now will not recognise my internet modem/router at all. The funny thing is that it recognises 4 other wireless modems/routers in the neighbourhood. I have my lapstop sitting next to the desktop computer and it is connected correctly to the modem. I have attempted to connect through the control panel headings of Internet Options and Newtwork Sharing??? with no luck. I keep on getting an error message saying there is an error with the modem which I would think is immposible as my laptop is working perfectly.

Any hints on what I can do to get the desktop to recognise the modem. I have tried to power off and on the modem many times.

Thanks in advance.

If you can see others, definitely the Router that's at fault.

I agree with Harry, you should factory reset the router then go through the configuration from the beginning until you can see it (e.g. set channel to Auto on both adapter properties and on the Router).

Once you've connected successfully, look at securing it with a complex password behind WPA/WPA2.

And don't forget to set the Router's Admin password (and disable remote access) as well.

Edited by Chicog

Most unlikely, given that his PC saw it when he was running the previous Windows installation.

The OP should connect his PC to the router via an ethernet cable until ALL the updates are done. There will be DOZENS and he will need to restart the PC several times to get them all.

Once ALL the updates are downloaded and installed he will probably find that the network will be visible again. If it isn't, just log onto the router config page and change the wifi channel.

Most unlikely, given that his PC saw it when he was running the previous Windows installation.

The OP should connect his PC to the router via an ethernet cable until ALL the updates are done. There will be DOZENS and he will need to restart the PC several times to get them all.

Once ALL the updates are downloaded and installed he will probably find that the network will be visible again. If it isn't, just log onto the router config page and change the wifi channel.

Granted he should do Windows Updates anyway, but what does that have to do with him not being able to see ONE Router when, to quote the OP: "The funny thing is that it recognises 4 other wireless modems/routers in the neighbourhood.". The PC's Wireless Radio is working fine, so it's probably a Router Config problem. Which is what I said anyway. Resetting the router should allow for a connection, then he can configure and secure it to his own requirements.

Given that the only thing that has changed is his Windows installation the likelihood that anything needs touching on his router is remote indeed. Things rarely go wrong on their own.

Whatever his problem is it will surely be with his Windows installation, probably incorrect/old wifi drivers that may not allow correct negotiation with the router for encryption. I have come across this sort of thing before.

There is also a possibility that his current wifi drivers just dont like the channel that his router is using, hence my suggestion to change channels as a last resort.

Either way, the most important thing with any new Windows installation is to do all the updates. In his case there will be many dozens of them, and a service pack, and a load of device drivers, and he will need to restart the machine numerous times before it gets them all. So he should do that first and look at the router later, by which time the problem will probably have sorted itself out.

Edited by IamNotaNumber

Given that the only thing that has changed is his Windows installation the likelihood that anything needs touching on his router is remote indeed. Things rarely go wrong on their own.

Whatever his problem is it will surely be with his Windows installation, probably incorrect/old wifi drivers that may not allow correct negotiation with the router for encryption. I have come across this sort of thing before.

There is also a possibility that his current wifi drivers just dont like the channel that his router is using, hence my suggestion to change channels as a last resort.

Either way, the most important thing with any new Windows installation is to do all the updates. In his case there will be many dozens of them, and a service pack, and a load of device drivers, and he will need to restart the machine numerous times before it gets them

all. So he should do that first and look at the router later, by which time the problem will probably have sorted itself out.

Certainly can't hurt to apply all updates, so perhaps the OP could do this, and tell us how his Wireless connectivity looks after doing so?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Thaivisa Connect App

Sounds like a Windows 7 installation made using VLite to save on space and remove 'unecessary features' especially if the method of choice to crack the activation was remove the WGA feature. The easiest thing to do is first of all check that the desktop wifi drivers are correctly installed and up to date and, if they are, obtain a decent Windows 7 installation DVD and reinstall everything using that. Buying a new PC with pirated software on it should always be reformatted first to remove whatever else nasty that came with the software.

Sounds like a Windows 7 installation made using VLite to save on space and remove 'unecessary features' especially if the method of choice to crack the activation was remove the WGA feature. The easiest thing to do is first of all check that the desktop wifi drivers are correctly installed and up to date and, if they are, obtain a decent Windows 7 installation DVD and reinstall everything using that. Buying a new PC with pirated software on it should always be reformatted first to remove whatever else nasty that came with the software.

Strikes me that people aren't reading the OP properly.

It says:

"As I like to be able to receive updates on Windows I got a registered copy of Windows 7 Ultimate along with the activation code"

and

"My computer now will not recognise my internet modem/router at all. The funny thing is that it recognises 4 other wireless modems/routers in the neighbourhood."

I'm a bit baffled as to why one would think it's a pirate Windows problem or a wifi driver problem.

There is no evidence of any malware in the OP, and the existing driver is picking up other Wireless routers.

• Like 1

Can you be more clear about which computer (Desktop or Laptop) is connected in which way (wifi or cable) to the router.

You say that your new "desktop" recognises 4 other wireless routers but not your own. Does your desktop have a wireless card installed? Is there any reason that you don't simply connect the desktop to the router with a LAN cable?

"My computer now will not recognise my internet modem/router at all. The funny thing is that it recognises 4 other wireless modems/routers in the neighbourhood."

I'm a bit baffled as to why one would think it's a pirate Windows problem or a wifi driver problem.

There is no evidence of any malware in the OP, and the existing driver is picking up other Wireless routers.

The OP will probably find that the 4 other wireless networks are using different encryption, or indeed none at all.

Versions of Win7 that have not been updated and older versions of the wireless adaptor drivers may not be capable of recognising or joining all types of secured network.

For this reason it is necessary to perform all updates before altering router settings or resetting the router.

As I mentioned several times, the only thing that has changed is the Windows installation, and so that is where the problem will be.

This is intriguing.

Sezzo, can you elaborate on "My computer now will not recognise my internet modem/router at all. The funny thing is that it recognises 4 other wireless modems/routers in the neighbourhood."?

Can you "see" your router in the list of available connections? What do you mean by "recognise a router"? Can you see the others and try and connect to them, and do you see a prompt for a key or password? What happens when you click on yours? Have you tried troubleshooting it?

Gday guys,

First of all thanks very much for you inputs. I am now back online with the desktop which is now seeing/recognising the router/modem. I have managed to receive all the updates from Windows and hopefully everything is now going to work allright.

I now have a new query for you. When the new windows was installed, foolishly I increased the size of the display to 125 percent due to some eye issues that I have. I now find that its too big and want to reduce it to the normal size. I have been through the control panel/appearance and personalisation/display and I now have the current size of display as the default (100%) which is too big. How do I make this smaller.

Thanks again

Gday guys,

First of all thanks very much for you inputs. I am now back online with the desktop which is now seeing/recognising the router/modem. I have managed to receive all the updates from Windows and hopefully everything is now going to work allright.

I now have a new query for you. When the new windows was installed, foolishly I increased the size of the display to 125 percent due to some eye issues that I have. I now find that its too big and want to reduce it to the normal size. I have been through the control panel/appearance and personalisation/display and I now have the current size of display as the default (100%) which is too big. How do I make this smaller.

Thanks again

Have a look at this.

Might be what you are looking for.

http://www.thaivisa....d/#entry5705951

I found that if you press ctrl and + it makes things bigger and ctrl and - makes things smaller.

Edited by kevjohn

Using CTL - or + is ok for when using internet web pages but it doesnt work when using other windows applications like control panel etc.

Sorry that suggestion did not solve your problem.

Gday guys,

Thanks again

Right click on task bar > properties > use small icons

Edited by Spoonman

.... I now have the current size of display as the default (100%) which is too big. How do I make this smaller.

You need to change the screen resolution, not the "display size".

Right-click on the desktop and the menu will appear. For modern screens of a decent size, 1920*1080 would be a standard setting. A lower setting would be more suitable for a smaller screen. The smaller the numbers the larger things will appear on-screen.

You will normally get the best results if the Windows resolution matches the native resolution of your screen (see the screen manual).

Changing the "display size" has the annoying side-effect of making text in some dialogue boxes too large for the box, so I find it best to always leave it on 100%.

.... I now have the current size of display as the default (100%) which is too big. How do I make this smaller.

You need to change the screen resolution, not the "display size".

Right-click on the desktop and the menu will appear. For modern screens of a decent size, 1920*1080 would be a standard setting. A lower setting would be more suitable for a smaller screen. The smaller the numbers the larger things will appear on-screen.

You will normally get the best results if the Windows resolution matches the native resolution of your screen (see the screen manual).

Changing the "display size" has the annoying side-effect of making text in some dialogue boxes too large for the box, so I find it best to always leave it on 100%.

Thanks mate, that worked perfectly.

clap2.gif

Sometimes it could be a simple issue - hence some hints to check which would not aggravate it anymore...

Is "Broadcast SSID" enabled?

Try changing the channel of the router - for whatever reason maybe with the new Win installation the Laptop does not 'see' this channel.

Once I experienced a similar issue after right clicking and updating the wireless adapter driver from the device manager - had to roll back to the earlier driver and it worked perfectly - on a Toshiba Satellite C850-B251.

If a network monitoring program is running on your computer, the wireless network adapter will be set to monitor mode, which prevents Windows from connecting to wireless networks. To connect to a wireless network, close the network monitoring program or follow the instructions in the program to exit monitor mode.

Hi All,

Having recently upgraded online to full windows 7 from a windows 7 starter pack on my netbook I note that "office" doesn't recognise the licence key, even when copied & pasted to avoid mistakes. Is "office" a separate purchase or am I doing something wrong?

Edited by evadgib

Hi All,

Having recently upgraded online to full windows 7 from a windows 7 starter pack on my netbook I note that "office" doesn't recognise the licence key, even when copied & pasted to avoid mistakes. Is "office" a separate purchase or am I doing something wrong?

Normally - yes. "Office" is a separate purchase.

If you like you could try Open Office that is free - http://www.openoffice.us.com/

• Like 1

Hi All,

Normally - yes. "Office" is a separate purchase.

If you like you could try Open Office that is free - http://www.openoffice.us.com/

I prefer Libre Office http://www.libreoffice.org/download/

Most of the OpenOffice developers now work on that instead.

• Like 1