Translation Please

Tufty

One thing I can't get my head round is "Man Sai" can anyone help me with this my girl says it to me often but says she can't explain.

I don't think its very good because she said the same about an ex g/f, when I asked again what it meant she still can't explain but told me when it's said to me it's a joke but not the same with the ex :o

The falang is bird shit

I think it means a low class, poor looking person. The Thais like to use it to describe those fat, tattooed, drunken slobs that inhabit beer bars, walk around in Singha vests that haven't been washed for days, and with a scraggy bargirl in tow.

Kii Nok (ขี้นก) is used to describe a stingy person. It's slang so you mightn't find it in any normal dictionary. Given that prices in Thailand are quite cheaper than the west, any westerner who appears to have short arms and deep pockets will be called farang kii nok by most Thais. How do I know this? Ahh, a friend told me. Honest!

I have heard it used also in the sense of a westerner who is not so much mean, as poor.

But here is what the dictionary (compiled by Thais) at thai-language.com says:

[usually preceded by ฝรั่ง ]fake, phoney, bogus, spurious, pretended, feigned, sham; low-class, inferior, insignificant, meaningless, worthless

It can also be applied in a negative way to Thais, interestingly enough:

[showing disapproval]a Thai follower of European of American customs; a Thai who puts on airs as if he or she was a Westerner; a Thai who apes Westerners.

Here's the guava reference:

ต้นฝรั่งขี้นก dtohnF faL rangL kheeF nohkH [plant]a species of red-reeded and round-shaped ฝรั่ง  (guava)

http://www.thai-language.com/id/209312

Farang Kii Nok is a rude term applied to half Farang Kids. Literally bird droppings from a farang, don't use it.

It has a variety of uses, as you can see from the posts above, including the dictionary definitions. It is not exclusive to half-farang kids, as you call them.

What is more, I think we can leave it to the individual to decide wether to use a particular word. We're all adults here, aren't we?

Farang Kii Nok is a rude term applied to half Farang Kids. Literally bird droppings from a farang, don't use it.

It has a variety of uses, as you can see from the posts above, including the dictionary definitions. It is not exclusive to half-farang kids, as you call them.

The other suggestions are wrong and Thai's only know one meaning for the phrase. So don't use it.

As for all being adults you obviously haven't read some of the offerings in the America vs Everyone else threads. Many people seem to relapse into a second choildhood as they get old and grey.

The other suggestions are wrong and Thai's only know one meaning for the phrase. So don't use it.

As for all being adults you obviously haven't read some of the offerings in the America vs Everyone else threads.

You're a curious guy, Lamphun. The other meanings are wrong - who says?

The dictionary from which I took those definitions is compiled by Thais, including one of the best linguists I know.

One of the Thais I live with supplied another meaning (yes, some people here do live with Thais!)

Just who are you to say this or that meaning is wrong?

This bit is laughable:

Thai's only know one meaning for the phrase. So don't use it.

What are we, a language Nazi? It's not your language!

If a Thai friend told you the others are wrong then she is entitled to a view. But then so is everyone else.

As for the America versus Everyone Else threads, I don't go near such things. I'm too grown up.

Thais are very polite people and I'd be surprised if someone told you the correct meaning of this phrase without prompting.

You persist in treating the rest of us as if we are idiots. Live long enough with a Thai and you'll discover they can talk as bluntly to their significant other - Thai or westerner - as anyone else.

News flash: westerners can also make friends with Thais, and vice versa. Friends share things, Lamphun - including the definition of mysterious words!

It seems that only Lamphun knows the true meaning of words, because every other Thai on the panet is far too polite to speak frankly to a westerner.

You are fortunate to hold such a position of trust, aren't you?

Hey excellent. I was bored and about to log off and then came ..... mrentoul !!!

What can I say, I'm sorry the real world and your idea of it don't coincide but that's not my fault. It's a bit pathetic getting upset over the meaning of a Thai slang phrase. Use it any way you want. As you so clearly state you don't need my permission.

lamphun posted: Thu 2004-02-05, 12:14:33

1). As for all being adults you obviously haven't read some of the offerings in the America vs Everyone else threads.

1). Very true, but why is there an America vs. Everyone else section, anyway? :o
mrentoul,Thu 2004-02-05, 12:46:28]

2). As for the America versus Everyone Else threads, I don't go near such things. I'm too grown up.

2). I don't want to be the one to out you, but I've seen you lurking around there recently. Don't worry, anything is OK between consenting adults.:D

It's a bit pathetic getting upset over the meaning of a Thai slang phrase.

It's not the phrase I find objectionable...but thanks for the permission.

Next time I am uncertain about the meaning of a Thai word, can I come to you? I'm sure you'll remove all doubt in a flash.

It's not as easy as everyone thinks. Thinking up new insults that will make it past the censors, and all.
Thanks Georgie, I enjoyed that.
It's still a rude phrase, but I'm sure the titters you hear when you use it are just in response to your lousy tones.

I don't use it, and can't think of why I would use a word to refer to westerners in that way.

QUOTE (sjoca1 @ Thu 2004-01-29, 13:33:14)

In all, after the talk and the information I was given, I find it hard to believe some of the posts regarding immigration. I think on the whole, they are pretty good but have to deal with a lot of farang Kii Nok.

The above is where I first saw Farang Kii Nok

As I recall sjocal is a Farang student of Thai Language

and apparently found it amusing to use it in this way.

The thread is at:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=5424&st=15

Sorry to interupt mrentoul and lamphun

please continue ...

Roger

Thais are very polite people and I'd be surprised if someone told you the correct meaning of this phrase without prompting. Never mind if you don't believe me that's ok.

All the best -------------------lamphun,,,,,,,,, buddy who the f*^#$ do think your kidding Thai are thai with the vietnamese as without question the rudes asian..................please buffalo us no more jerk :o:D