Assumption University...anyone Know About It?

derek1978

Hello everyone! :D

I have been researching a school in Thailand called "Assumption Univerity". It is an international english speaking univerity. I am very interested in attending to get my bachelor degree, but would like to hear if anyone has been there or knows about it? What is it's reputation?

I have been to the school's web-site and the school looks and sounds pretty impressive. Especially since a 4 year degree only costs $9,000 US. That is far less expensive than any school in the US. :o

Assumption University

I also wonder how competitive a Thai degree would be in the world?

A Thai degree has value inside Thailand. Full stop. It might impress someone in another country, but only until that person does some investigation and makes some comparisons.

Even inside Thailand, there is a heirarchy related to what is considered a "good" university. The heirarchy depends in part on the fame/popularity of its alumni. Employment can be based on the university attended. For this reason, Assumpton University is considered "good" if one is going into business. Prior to its university status, Assumption was primarily a business school.

Sooo..... If you want to get a degree in Thailand, plan to stay in Thailand. And even then, be sure you go to the "right" university.

I took one course (Stats I) at Assumption University a couple years ago in order to complete the requirements for my BA. I found the instruction satisfactory and in my case, the professor made the subject easier than the one I had back in the US did. For some majors, the number of credits required to graduate can be above 140 whereas in my university back in the US, it was only 120. Make sure that any courses you take will be recognized/accepted in the West if you plan to return there. Assumption University was the first university in Thailand to offer English language cirriculums and it has a good reputation.

I've looked at it, I understand it is under the care of a uni in Aus. I may consider a MA there soon.

Have you actually been to see the school? My goal is to return to Taiwan to live with my fiance...getting my bachelors degree finally acomplished would allow me to work legaly there. The big red flag I see so far is that Thailand has a bad reputation for bogus schools...do you think that a degree from this school will be looked down upon? It really does look like a great school.

I know that students with bachelors from Thammasat, Chula and Assumption can do a masters in Australia if they do well enough... I came across quite a few of them at Macquarie Uni and Sydney Uni.

True.

Within Thailand, Assumption is regarded fairly highly, mostly because of the english aspect. there are a fair few important grads around particularly in retail that went to ABAC>

Compared to USA though, if you want to work here an American degree even from a crappy university such as Golden Gate counts higher than the local unis here.

A masters degree here is possible including many of the ABAC degrees and Sasin and so on conducted in conjunction with overseas unis e.g. pepperdine, USF, Southbank, NW University, etc. but the cost is higher too.

I am (almost) a graduate of ABAC, PM me if you want more info.