How Long Can My New Wife Stay In The Uk On A Spouse Visa If The Marriage Breaks Down?

Natnat

Pls read my post just above yours

I'm giving benefit that you started your lengthy post before mine was added to the thread.

But let's not continue further down that line, and stay on topic please

But she is very keen on coming to live with me in the UK which is what is making me ask these questions regarding the new rules as they have recently been put into place.

The new rules make marrying a Briton just to settle in Britain less attractive. The marriage must be endured for 5 years, not 2 years, and I am not aware of any change in the short-circuiting on the grounds of domestic violence by the British spouse.

The higher income level required from the sponsor for settlement might make coming over as a fiancée more attractive. If marrying before obtaining a settlement visa, the sponsor's income is supposed to be sworn to in the affirmation of freedom to marry. If this information is made available to the wife (though I don't recall anyone calling it to my wife's attention when we married), reliable information should already be available. All in all, the only effect I can see is to make British suitors slightly more attractive, though only amongst those wanting to take the girl to their home county.

For those not barred by the new income requirements and with completely secure jobs, the changes make things better for the sponsoring spouse.

I don't believe the slight change in the validity of the original entry to leave makes much difference to the attractiveness of British sponsors to those just seeking entry to Western Europe.

May I just point out one very good reason for Mrbiggus's girlfriend wanting to go and live with Mrbiggus even if she doesn't love him. He's far less likely to stray after other women if she is on hand!

When I fell in love with my wife, I kept telling myself not to believe that she loved me, but to be careful. I was wrong. She did love me and still does.

Richard.

ILR stands for Indefinite Leave to Remain and so is indefinite.

However, it will lapse if the holder spends a continuous period of two years or more out of the UK. In addition, if an immigration officer at a port of entry can show that an ILR holder doesn't actually live in the UK but is using their ILR just for visits then that person's ILR will be canceled, although they will be allowed in as a visitor on that occasion.

ILR will be canceled if it was obtained fraudulently and may be canceled if the holder is convicted of a serious criminal offence which results in a custodial sentence.

British citizenship, once granted, cannot lapse, no matter how long the holder spends outside the UK, and can only be removed if the holder is convicted of a very serious offence such as terrorism, and even then it wont be removed if the person would be rendered stateless by it's removal.

A very informative discussion. Now that I know what ILR stands for can someone enlighten me as to what FLR stands for.

FLR = Further Leave to Remain

Further leave to remain is only granted for a limited period. (If the period were unlimited, it would be ILR, but there is the additional difference that having ILR makes one 'settled', which is relevant for citizenship and for bringing family members to Britain.)