Corrupt Pheu Thai Govt Should Be Ousted, Pitak Siam Leader Says

webfact

Corrupt govt should be ousted, Pitak Siam leader says

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Pheu Thai government has so many flaws it should have been overthrown, Pitak Siam leader Boonlert Kaewprasit said yesterday, before quickly adding there was no coup in the making at this juncture.

"If I had soldiers under my command, I would have ousted the government a long time ago," he said, voicing hope that the top brass would eventually help to evict the government.

Boonlert, a retired Army general who spearheads a mass movement seen as an offshoot of the yellow and multicoloured shirts, reminded government leaders about growing disaffection that might lead many to view another power seizure as an option. He was speaking ahead of a rally on Sunday at the Royal Turf Club to expose flaws in the government and its policies.

"The upcoming rally will aim at saving the country, which is on the brink of ruin," he said.

Pitak Siam supporters, he noted, would not be identified by the colour of their shirt but by patriotism and loyalty to their King.

At the rally, the government will be taken to task for three shortcomings - neglecting to prosecute offences against the monarchy, insulting the people by propping up Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra as a puppet of her brother Thaksin, and being plagued by corruption, he said.

Boonlert says the government is turning a blind eye to graft on an unprecedented scale, such as the irregularities in connection with the rice-pledging scheme.

Meanwhile, Pheu Thai MP Korkaew Pikulthong said he had been told some organisers tried to lure red shirts from the Northeast to join the rally. They offered to pay Bt300-Bt500 each for transport costs, he said.

He believes no more than 2,000 people will show up at the rally, which would be backed by Santi Asok supporters, people from the People's Alliance for Democracy and "pseudo-communist" activists.

He reminded Boonlert that it was inappropriate to rally at the racetrack, seen as a place of vice, if the purpose was to safeguard the monarchy.

Pheu Thai spokesman Prompong Nopparit said he detected a five-step plan designed to undermine the government. Under the plan, the rally organised by Boonlert was a curtain-raiser to pave way for the opposition to censure the government, he said.

But Democrat Party leader Abhisit Vejjajiva said he was unaware of any five steps to bring the government down.

"The government's fate will not hinge on opponents or critics but on its own misjudgement by refusing to be held accountable for corruption."

He said the main opposition party would file a motion of no confidence in Parliament before the end of the month.

Abhisit said the government should spell out clear measures it plans to take in order to implement its policy on reconciliation, as well as comply with the final report of the Truth for Reconciliation Commission. The holding of public forums on its reconciliation bill were not part of Pheu Thai's policy outlined in Parliament last year, nor were they recommended by the TRCT, he said.

He reminded the prime minister that political conflict could resume if she was vague on how to bring about reconciliation.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-24

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"The government's fate will not hinge on opponents or critics but on its own misjudgement by refusing to be held accountable for corruption."

If only ... never going to happen ... unless there is another coup. The sooner the better as the people who vote for the red govt have little knowledge of what is really going on, only what they are fed by the spin doctors and the Dems don't have the PR machine working to counter the spin doctors. There does not seem to be any other way unfortunately and that could well lead to civil unrest.

So I guess the ear doctor failed to convince Boonlert to cancel the rally.

• Like 1

If only ... never going to happen ... unless there is another coup. The sooner the better as the people who vote for the red govt have little knowledge of what is really going on, only what they are fed by the spin doctors and the Dems don't have the PR machine working to counter the spin doctors. There does not seem to be any other way unfortunately and that could well lead to civil unrest.

Well the PTP voter also got paid for their votes what makes the complete election undemocratic. And the Dems not only missing the PR machine, Abhisit was real weak when he was premier. He made a few real good things, but his whining all the time when the red demonstrations were and his aggression against the PAD in the hope it will please the reds was coward....

So the only reason to vote for the Dems was that they aren't the PTP.

In fact a army coup is the only way out. But I remember the last one. If they don't have a plan what the want to do after the gained power, than they should better not do it.

• Like 1

The only thing that will take this country forward is education. A coup will just complete the circle, and then it all starts again without anything being fixed.

Yes true, but I can't help thinking that an immediate coup, followed by a complete change to the justice/punishment system as regards MPs, govt officials and police could work. There would be a zero tollerance policy towards corrupt practises(including perjury,money laundering,policy corruption), with automatic death penalty for ANY offender. As it stands now there is no incentive whatsoever to be honest and serve the country.

Either way something needs to happen and quickly, before this govt with its rice scams,total disregard for law, dynasty building etc leads us to ruin.

• Like 1

The only thing that will take this country forward is education. A coup will just complete the circle, and then it all starts again without anything being fixed.

Exactly.

Another coup, ever, in this country would be very ill advised. It would once again infuriate the grass roots supporters of the current government and spark "protests" and riots. The PTP voters would have legitimate grievances against again having their votes invalidated.

The only way to remove the current kleptocracy, is to remove it by democratic and legal means. Unfortunately, the PTP have a majority in Parliament, so a vote of no confidence is out. Then, there is Chalerm (and others) who will intimidate by any means the judiciary to prevent any impeachment motions brought in.

Any opposition would have to bring concrete evidence to the EC or other court with power to show that the country is being robbed blind.

However, if the PTP government falls, what's next? Another election. Who will win that? Yep, same people.

Result: Same shit, different day.

There are already too many Shin clan members in key positions.

Edited by EvilDrSomkid

A coup is the worst thing that could ever happen. PTP need to be left alone, they will fall, but their fall when it happens, and it will, has to be at the ballot booth. That maybe uncomfortable reading for many, but for the term of this government (and the next which will be PTP led as well), coups need to be kept out of the picture. irrespective of how bad the governace is perceived as by some. The absence of coups will all the democratic process to mature, and that means voters will mature in their choices.

A coup will extend the life of the Us vs the elite argument which is the backbone of mch of the 'red' PTP ideology. That ideology in part needs a coup to maintain its validity

• Like 1

Yingluk said she was serious about corruption.. she wasn't joking !!

I can't think of an official at any level who isn't corrupt.

This government is like the warlords/kings of old, get into power, rape & pillage before being kicked out.

• Like 2

Yes true, but I can't help thinking that an immediate coup, followed by a complete change to the justice/punishment system as regards MPs, govt officials and police could work. There would be a zero tollerance policy towards corrupt practises(including perjury,money laundering,policy corruption), with automatic death penalty for ANY offender. As it stands now there is no incentive whatsoever to be honest and serve the country.

Either way something needs to happen and quickly, before this govt with its rice scams,total disregard for law, dynasty building etc leads us to ruin.

It's the "followed by" that's not going to happen. They've had their chance to do that many times, but those that lead the coups are usually part of the overall problem. Corruption is ingrained from top to bottom, from left to right.

Education is the only way. Get the people thinking for themselves. Get them to understand that corruption, no matter how small, is the problem.

• Like 2

It's the "followed by" that's not going to happen. They've had their chance to do that many times, but those that lead the coups are usually part of the overall problem. Corruption is ingrained from top to bottom, from left to right.

Education is the only way. Get the people thinking for themselves. Get them to understand that corruption, no matter how small, is the problem.

Internet and social media helped to ignite the Arab spring, maybe same will happen here after the rice farmers in Esan and in the north understand how to use their kids free Chinese made "Galaxy Tabs" (if they now ever got one)

Much as I like the idea of a coup with instant justice visited on the corrupt officials change the law so being a minister does not allow immunity and a reelection all with in 30 days I will have to agree with you.

Education is the only way out of the mess Thailand is in now. It would seem that this government is not in favor of teaching students how to reason. Just carry on with the learn by rote system only now get a cheap tab to help them do that. In short create a nation of followers not thinkers.

They might as well just shut all schools down and put the students in the schools that teach Democracy the red shirt way. The results would be the same a nation of followers with no thinkers. Of course the leaders would be sending their kids out of the country to get a education.

They might as well just shut all schools down and put the students in the schools that teach Democracy the red shirt way. The results would be the same a nation of followers with no thinkers. Of course the leaders would be sending their kids out of the country to get a education.

I thought they were doing that up north already?

So I guess the ear doctor failed to convince Boonlert to cancel the rally.

May be he had to much ear medicine or refused to share it.biggrin.png

"If I had soldiers under my command, I would have ousted the government a long time ago," he said, voicing hope that the top brass would eventually help to evict the government.

Nice, another group of reactionaries led by a nutjob. Juuuuust what we needed.

The only way forward for the country is to stomp on corruption hard and often and have a strong rule of law. Of course the conundrum is that the current government is a pro-corruption band of crooks, so the impetus must come from other places.

• Like 1

Nice, another group of reactionaries led by a nutjob. Juuuuust what we needed.

The only way forward for the country is to stomp on corruption hard and often and have a strong rule of law. Of course the conundrum is that the current government is a pro-corruption band of crooks, so the impetus must come from other places.

A political party who's "Dear Leader" is already convicted for corruption (Land case) and has a shopping list of court cases pending (of which, a percentage of those are corruption based) has no intent of stomping on corruption, maybe paying a little lip-service but nothing else... the sooner Thai people realize this and rise up "Arab Spring" style against then, the better... until then we can all stand around p*ssing in the wind watching as the Red Government spreads its lies and quietly rapes the country for every satang it can.

I think it isn't easy because corruption is just everywhere in the courts at police, army.....justice system is also so overloaded that it must drop most cases.

The fastest I can think off is 5 years. In this time partially army must take over police function and courts. Kicking out corrupt judges and policemen...

Not an easy task.

I think it isn't easy because corruption is just everywhere in the courts at police, army.....justice system is also so overloaded that it must drop most cases.

The fastest I can think off is 5 years. In this time partially army must take over police function and courts. Kicking out corrupt judges and policemen...

Not an easy task.

Who deals with the corrupt army?

• Like 2

Not an easy task.

Who deals with the corrupt army?

The Army inside, and it is not so dangerous because they leave politics after the task is finish. But I think it is pure theoretical, complete impossible in reality.

Automatic dead penalty like "jaidam" told would be worse than Cambodia killing fields. Thailand would loose 1/3 of its population.

The last coup accomplished nothing. Once they took over, they had no clue as to how to run the country. Hopefully, the top Army generals realize this and won't make that same mistake again.

Perhaps, after so many coups they should try a different tack; I don't know, like, having a functional justice and law enforcement system.

It's so crazy it just may work!

A coup is the worst thing that could ever happen. PTP need to be left alone, they will fall, but their fall when it happens, and it will, has to be at the ballot booth. That maybe uncomfortable reading for many, but for the term of this government (and the next which will be PTP led as well), coups need to be kept out of the picture. irrespective of how bad the governace is perceived as by some. The absence of coups will all the democratic process to mature, and that means voters will mature in their choices.

A coup will extend the life of the Us vs the elite argument which is the backbone of mch of the 'red' PTP ideology. That ideology in part needs a coup to maintain its validity

It won't happen at the ballot boot, because PTP will just pay the 300-500 Baht per vote like every time and as poorer the people get as cheaper it will be.

Also Thaksin tried to started to make laws for full scale fraud....rubber stamps, smaller boots so it can be checked who what for what party and transport of the cards per taxi without anyone check if the content will be replaced.

So it is basically impossible that they loose. And if they do, you have a Dems lead coalition with all the corrupt coalition partners, so you can bet they won't make any new hard anti-corruption laws.

So there is no reasonable way out of it.....That's the reason why people think about unreasonable ways.

• Like 1