Bangkok Street Racers Nabbed

webfact

Street racers nabbed

The Nation

30192947-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A 20-strong team from Bangkok's Vibhavadi Police Station rounded up 27 young street racers (21 males and six females) - eight of them minors - and seized 23 motorcycles at 3.45am yesterday in front of the 1st Infantry King's Own Bodyguard Regiment on Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

Traffic Police inspector Pol Lt-Colonel Sanong Saengmanee said an investigation had found that the road was a favourite of street-racing youth, so police staged an ambush and rounded them up, bringing in some 20 trucks in which to haul away their motorbikes.

All of those arrested were first-time offenders. They will face the criminal charge of reckless motorbike-riding disturbing others, he said, adding that their parents might also be subject to charges of violating the Child Protection Act, which attracts a three-month jail term and/or a Bt30,000 fine.

Meanwhile, an informed source said Pol Senior Sgt-Major Kowit Saengkaew, 41, who was manning a checkpoint on Ratchadaphisek Road opposite the Queen Sirikit Conventional Centre, sustained a broken arm and a head wound after being hit by a motorcycle.

Driver Wichitchai Ketkaew, 25, and a 17-year-old female passenger were also injured. Police said the motorbike tried to run the checkpoint at high speed with its headlights switched off.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-10-25

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Some 20 trucks" for 23 motorcycles? No way to store a few bikes in/on the same truck?

It would appear that all or most bikes are on one truck. The reporter or translator probably made a mistake. Everything said or implied in newspapers about the police or politicians or whoever needs to be taken with a few grains of salt. Appearing In print doesn't make it real.

post-145917-0-39990300-1351150403_thumb.

If they were caught, the racers obviously were not fast enough

I guess the number of trucks could easily be a mistake in the article, but it could also mean that the police was maybe expecting to catch a lot more people/motorcycles.

. .......Police said the motorbike tried to run the checkpoint at high speed with its headlights switched off.

wow

, there was light on the motobike? The kiddi-racers in Phuket does not need any lights, they know they can do whatever they want here without getting caught by the bib, which are to busy checking Farangs on helments ..... just yesterday evening one of this little wanke_rs took my wife over about 10cm away from her with about 80kmh... its absolutely normal here...Police on the streets after dark? forget it

Edited by moskito

those street racers were harmless, they were not a gang and, most probably, they did not cause much disturbance to the residents and street traffic. Sending a police patrol to warn them to stop, check on alcohol and drugs, and do not come back would do the trick.

youngsters used to race close to my home every friday night, now they moved to the street, where are no houses, so nobody can complain to cops.

putting this story with a story about an injured cop hit by a motorbike is not appropriate, as those 2 stories are not related

I read it as though they were trying to evade the round-up when they hit the cops, so it seems related to me.

• Like 1

All of those arrested were first-time offenders. They will face the criminal charge of reckless motorbike-riding disturbing others, he said, adding that their parents might also be subject to charges of violating the Child Protection Act, which attracts a three-month jail term and/or a Bt30,000 fine.

probably a lot more time in the big house than Mr Red Bull will get

Why can't the police go and round up the underage motor bike riders all over the Thailand suburbs who are obviously given the keys by their parents and confiscate their bikes and prosecute the parents?

Good post. My thoughts every day.

Must admit, l was doing it still in my late 50's, in a V8 ride though. laugh.png

• Like 1

those street racers were harmless, they were not a gang and, most probably, they did not cause much disturbance to the residents and street traffic. Sending a police patrol to warn them to stop, check on alcohol and drugs, and do not come back would do the trick.

youngsters used to race close to my home every friday night, now they moved to the street, where are no houses, so nobody can complain to cops.

putting this story with a story about an injured cop hit by a motorbike is not appropriate, as those 2 stories are not related

You have no blinking idea what you are talking about! These are the worst of social pariahs! Total hooligans on the streets who have never spared a thought for the safety of other road users! Clearly you don't drive! If you as much as honk them, even just a light tap, the whole pack of demons would be on you in a split micro seconds! Have you read how they kill a couple of police with their guns or their bikes? Go to Narathiwas Rajagarindra at 11 pm every night, then pehaps you will understand what I am trying to explain to you! Ignorance is Bliss! Get your facts right before putting your comments in motion!
  • Like 2

The number of postings suspect you're not a newbie. But sorry to tell you that your thoughts on the issue are absolutely immature. Street racing IS a danger, not only for the racers themselves but foremost for those who happen to be there at the wrong place and the wrong time. They are furthermore a real disturbance for the decibels that they are producing (usually at night) in the area and the streets or roads they try to block for their crazy sport (sic). Your idea to send a police patrol is simple-minded and in no way will work. Confiscating their bikes and putting their parents under pressure... that's the way, I believe, is right.

"Some 20 trucks" for 23 motorcycles? No way to store a few bikes in/on the same truck?

oh c'mon.............there were only 20 royal thai police officers involved, .......takes more then that to change a light bulb !

If they were caught, the racers obviously were not fast enough

I guess the number of trucks could easily be a mistake in the article, but it could also mean that the police was maybe expecting to catch a lot more people/motorcycles.

That was also my first thought... I guess a lot of them escaped! That's because they are better in racing than the cops.

Why can't the police go and round up the underage motor bike riders all over the Thailand suburbs who are obviously given the keys by their parents and confiscate their bikes and prosecute the parents?

Must admit, l was doing it still in my late 50's, in a V8 ride though. laugh.png

I was riding a Honda250 Superdream without a licence when I was in my mid thirtes back in Scotland, but the difference is we are both mature adults, and a little green piece of paper doesen't make us better riders, besides I was an experienced HGV and PSV driver.

I was riding a Honda250 Superdream without a licence when I was in my mid thirtes back in Scotland, but the difference is we are both mature adults, and a little green piece of paper doesen't make us better riders, besides I was an experienced HGV and PSV driver.

I had a 1964 Honda 250 SS smile.png , l had a HGV license too later on. Must admit that my street racing was more at the stop light drags thumbsup.gif .

I was the same in my youth, racing motorcycles on the roads.

I think it was a phase i went through & i hope its the same for the Thai youths.

i wasn't untill i had an accident that i realised how stupid i was & was introduced to track racing.

Maybe race tracks are the answer? let the youths (supervised) use the tracks?

Just a thought

Chris