Bounced Check Phrase

klons

Can anyone translate or explain this phrase? thank you:

“เช็คหล่อนน่ะทาด้วยรกแกะหรือยะ มันถึงเด้งไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน”

Do you've a context or can we hear or see the phrase?

"เช็คหล่อนน่ะ" should that be "เช็คล้อน่ะ"?

"ทาด้วยรกแกะหรือยะ" should แกะ be แก? and ยะ is ยัง or ครับ/ฮ่ะ? I've no idea what ทา means here... could it be มา?

"มันถึงเด้งไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน" I am confused about จักหย่อน. Is it possible this is สักหน่อย ?

Edited by kriswillems

It appears to be a question about the way the check is written followed by the declaration that it has bounced เด้ง

เช็ก (ของ) หล่อน ทาแต่งอย่างรกแกะ รก is disorderly and แกะ could create disorder, "was หล่อน's cheque written by a goat? "

"It bounced don't know when this sort of thing will stop from หล่อน " is a possibility.

Without context and not being native Thai we can only guess.

The context as I see it is the Mom (นภางค์) throws 2 checks in her

daughters (เนตรนภิศ) face. The daughter wrote the checks to

คุณพิสมัย who then called the Mom to complain and gave the checks back.

Mom got angry with the daughter.

The way I translate the phrase is - do you paint your checks with

placenta fluid (รกแกะ) ? they just bounce and don’t know when to stop

or slack off.

That doesn’t quite make sense to me. I’ll go look for the audio now

and attach it below.

บ้านเนตรนภิศ...นภางค์ปาเช็คสองใบใส่หน้าเนตรนภิศที่นั่งหน้าถอดสีอยู่บนโซฟาในห้องโถง

“หนูแค่เอาเงินเข้าไม่ทัน แหม...คุณพิสมัยน่าจะติดต่อหนู ไม่น่าไปกวนคุณแม่”

“เขาไม่เอาแกเข้าคุกก็บุญแล้ว แกไม่ทำงาน แบมือขอผัวไปวันๆ ก็อย่ารสนิยมสูงนัก!”

bounced checks.mp3

not exactly as quoted but very close.

oh, I was complete wrong.

But maybe it help helps to know that I found this in advertisement for a facial cream: ครีมรกแกะ หน้าเด้ง ผิวเด้ง

So the sentence in your question is probably: Do you/she smears placenta cream on your checks?

Edited by kriswillems

เช็คหล่อนน่ะทาด้วยรกแกะหรือยะ มันถึงเด้งไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน

Do you rub sheep's umbilical cord on your check? Is that' why it keep bouncing non-stop?.

The word หล่อน is a pronoun 2nd person, use to address a female your junior when you are not happy with her behavior. biggrin.png

Edited by a51mas
  • Like 1

oh, I was complete wrong.

But maybe it help helps to know that I found this in advertisement for a facial cream: ครีมรกแกะ หน้าเด้ง ผิวเด้ง

So the sentence in your question is probably: Do you/she smears placenta cream on your checks?

That's a fascinating discovery. I googled รกแกะ and found adverts, one had pictures of jars and boxes with "placenta cream' on them. I rushed to the dictionary to check if I knew what placenta was, and was disappointed to find that I did know! I then found from the RID that I had looked up the adjective/adverb รก earlier. So it is Sheep's placenta, the mind boggles.

Anyway; correctly recognised as a noun and ทารกแกะ then means 'applied placenta cream' to this/these cheque(s) (an adjectival phrase bestowing 'bounce' to the cheques.)

If หล่อน we're not mentioned the fact of using this exp<b></b>ression means that the context Is two women speaking, (could be inbetweenies too I suppose).

Is it worth trying to work out the rest of the intercourse? It is guessable from the context but I think that we could work out how it says: "I don't know when you will stop this", if anyone is interested.

Edited by tgeezer

• 1 month later...

เช็คเด้ง = bounced cheque

หน้าเด้ง = a face that is fresh, youthful looking, the context being skin with a lot of elasticity

ทา = apply, paint on

รกแกะ = sheep placenta (the word 'cream' is Omitted). You guys guessed right. Pretty gross but hugely popular the world over.

ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน = doing something excessively. It's a set phrase which has a negative connotation. For example, ลูกชายเล่นเกมส์ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน my son plays video games 24-7.

Did you apply sheep placenta cream to your cheques? Is that why they are always bouncing?

เช็คเด้ง = bounced cheque

หน้าเด้ง = a face that is fresh, youthful looking, the context being skin with a lot of elasticity

ทา = apply, paint on

รกแกะ = sheep placenta (the word 'cream' is Omitted). You guys guessed right. Pretty gross but hugely popular the world over.

ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน = doing something excessively. It's a set phrase which has a negative connotation. For example, ลูกชายเล่นเกมส์ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน my son plays video games 24-7.

Did you apply sheep placenta cream to your cheques? Is that why they are always bouncing?

I see you have freshened it up.

I mistook หย่อน for หล่อน - the person addressed in my last post.

ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน I am now reading as ไม่รู้ + จักหยุด- จักหย่อน will stop, will improve. จัก ๒ (ไว) คําช่วยกริยาบอกกาลภายหน้า แสดงเจตจำนง เช่น จักกิน จักนอน.

Hi tgeezer

ไม่รู้จัก is a set phrase

ไม่รู้จัก in this sense means don't recognise as in: ไม่รู้จักโตซักที this might be said to a immature adult and the most natural way of translating it into English would be: 'when are you going to grow up?'. Literally it translates to: 'you don't recognise when it's time to grow up'.

Another example is: คนบางคนโลภมาก ไม่รู้จักพอ = (Natural English) Some people are so greedy. They will just keep on taking and taking. (Literal translation) = Some people are so greedy. They don't recognise what is enough.

It's a phrase usually used when you want to berate someone or talk badly about them so be aware that is negative.

ไม่หยุดหย่อน = Doing something without stopping for a break/incessantly/excessively.

ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน just means they don't recognise when to stop. Hope this helps.

Hi tgeezer

ไม่รู้จัก is a set phrase

ไม่รู้จัก in this sense means don't recognise as in: ไม่รู้จักโตซักที this might be said to a immature adult and the most natural way of translating it into English would be: 'when are you going to grow up?'. Literally it translates to: 'you don't recognise when it's time to grow up'.

Another example is: คนบางคนโลภมาก ไม่รู้จักพอ = (Natural English) Some people are so greedy. They will just keep on taking and taking. (Literal translation) = Some people are so greedy. They don't recognise what is enough.

It's a phrase usually used when you want to berate someone or talk badly about them so be aware that is negative.

ไม่หยุดหย่อน = Doing something without stopping for a break/incessantly/excessively.

ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน just means they don't recognise when to stop. Hope this helps.

Yes it helps. This is conversation and not so easy to understand.

Are you saying that ".. มันถึงเด้งไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน” "..it has bounced (I) don't know when it will stop bouncing"

Still a criticism of the 'cheque writer' I know but rather obtuse.

If I were serious about criticism of the writer I wouldn't say that.

A cheque only bounces once then the metaphor needs to stop, it doesn't bounce like a ball. Not being familiar with when it will stop for a while seems odd.

I thought that the writer was being criticized for behavior, writing bad cheques and ...ไม่รู้จักหยุดจักหย่อน” You don't know intention to stop, intention to slaken off( be less willful) .

Never mind, language doesn't need to make sense though, and I fully accept what you say, after all we know that A is not happy with B and why.

Edited by tgeezer

Hi again, in this case she is referring to more than one cheque. Her cheques have a habit of bouncing.

I enjoy these threads as Klons has the most interesting reading material ever.

I am a Thai living abroad, and not a linguist by any means so I probably can't explain myself eloquently on the finer points.

I have to say I am in awe of many of the posters' proficiency in Thai.

Hope you don't feel that I am being pedantic. I just really enjoy these debates. biggrin.png

Hi again, in this case she is referring to more than one cheque. Her cheques have a habit of bouncing.

I enjoy these threads as Klons has the most interesting reading material ever.

I am a Thai living abroad, and not a linguist by any means so I probably can't explain myself eloquently on the finer points.

I have to say I am in awe of many of the posters' proficiency in Thai.

Hope you don't feel that I am being pedantic. I just really enjoy these debates. biggrin.png

Absolutely not,it is difficult to get anybody to discuss anything about language.

Expressions in English which don't make grammatical sense are just as confusing as Thai, and since the words don't add up to any literal meaning, it is the one with the loudest voice, uses the longest words, or can show a certificate etc. who's opinions win out.

I don't believe in finer points, nothing can be proved one way or the other, and the important thing is, what does the speaker mean? In this case that is all that counts because five minutes after a conversation, few people can say what was said, but they can say what was meant.

Edited by tgeezer

In that case,

I don't keep notes, I write a lot down but never refer to it again. Well, I was reading the dictionary one day and came upon a word one meaning of which intrigued me because it was the same as คุ้ยเขี่ย.

Do you remember; ก เอย กอ ไก ออกไปหากิน คุ้ยเขี่ยตามดิน กินแมลงละหนอน , the indirect meaning of the verb is; uncover an old story and spread it abroad.

I didn't commit that word to memory at the time, I must have thought that it was too obvious or unlikely to be in everyday use, now I wonder what the word was.

Which was it, too obvious or not common?

Edited by tgeezer