24,000Km Service 2012 Ninja 650

karlos

It's the first big one, yep a 24,000km service on my 2012 Ninja 650 will be performed by Realmotorsport Bangkok tomorrow.

Kawasaki Corporation states that the following must be checked in accordance with their Maintenance and Adjustment Schedule, thus ensuring the Warranty stays intact.

• Valve clearance check
  • Steering lubrication and check
  • Chassis pivot point lubrication (wasn't done on the 12,000km service)
  • Front and rear brake fluid change
  • Wheel bearing inspection

As well as the regular checks.

They have allotted me a 1 hour slot, absolutely nowhere near enough time to do the above let alone the rest of the service. a good mechanic / duo would need 2 hours providing adjustment of the valves isn't required.

I only just realised this evening that the valves need checking, i would have got Rama9 to do this service if i had pulled out the owner's manual and realised that sooner.

I was fobbed off last time with my airfilter, the manual states that it should be changed every 18,000km or two years (which ever comes first) They insisted 2 years regardless of mileage and when I questioned them they said Kawasaki Thailand is not the same as the rest of the world…… Perhaps the dirt in the air isn’t so ‘dirty’ here in this part of the world????

Let’s see what gets done and what doesn't.......

Edited by karlos

I was fobbed off last time with my airfilter, the manual states that it should be changed every 18,000km or two years (which ever comes first) They insisted 2 years regardless of mileage and when I questioned them they said Kawasaki Thailand is not the same as the rest of the world

This is true, so true!

(Not only limited to Kawasaki!)

Edited by noob7

Imo better not insist on them doing things they do not want to do. If you are unsure about what they have done or you know they haven't done an important thing, than just do it yourself afterwards or visit a mechanic/shop whom you trust. If they refuse to do something maybe they don't know how to do it. Or they don't have the tools to do it. Or both. You never know ;)

• Like 2

Not exactly related to your post, but it seems odd, my 2010 ER6 650 specifies the valve check at 42,000 kilometers, verified by Rama 9. The US and Cal models specify the check at 24,000 km, but "other than US and Cal models" are specified at 42K. So has something changed? In two years were engine changes made that require the earlier valve adjustment?

Or am I 24,000 late with mine, which I'm scheduled for at Rama 9 on the 6th????

By the way, I don't know anything about Real Motor Sport, but don't let any quack shop touch your valves! Even if it is under warranty, you end up sucking a valve and anything less that a complete engine replacement would leave me feeling insecure.

Edited by TongueThaied
  • Like 1

With regards to the Valve clearance check, it is indeed 42,000km.

for some reason the 650 in California is required to have this check at 24,000km, i know they are strict on emissions there but come on! :D

The service went reasonably well today, 45 mins was all they needed to complete the 24,000km service (minus spark plugs, they were done at 18,000km)

I'm sure they didn't grease the steering bearings (as recommended) and i really wasn’t to fussed about changing the brake fluid, so that little lot saved them some time. I'll check re-pack the steering bearings myself this weekend.

Other than the service I asked if they could check for fault codes and the O2 sensor, as the bike's fuel economy has fallen by nearly 1/3.

Once the service was complete there was no feedback with regard to the O2 sensor or fault codes, not a mention of it.... It had been noted down on a 'to-do list' but nobody had an answer for me..... Guess i'll pop down to Rama9 for a checkup before the month ends.

All in all it was a much better experience today and the guy dealing with me was noting everything down and then confirming that the mechanic would check it all out for me. He was particularly pleased with how 'in touch' with the bike and maintenance I was. I think the guy's name was Off (Assistant Manager) Nice guy, just a shame that no one got back to me about the over fueling….

I'm sure they didn't grease the steering bearings (as recommended) and i really wasn’t to fussed about changing the brake fluid, so that little lot saved them some time. I'll check re-pack the steering bearings myself this weekend.

I am surprised that the manual suggests repacking the steering bearings at 24k

I am surprised that the manual suggests repacking the steering bearings at 24k

Me too, as well as 'lubricate all Chassis parts', exactly what those parts are, i'm not sure. But It has to be pivot points of the frame/swing arm, throttle and clutch cables and linkages etc.

I officially have no service book now, all 4 pages have been used up, i would assume that i won't get another book and i'll have to show invoices to the next owner. :)

Me too, as well as 'lubricate all Chassis parts', exactly what those parts are, i'm not sure. But It has to be pivot points of the frame/swing arm, throttle and clutch cables and linkages etc.

I officially have no service book now, all 4 pages have been used up, i would assume that i won't get another book and i'll have to show invoices to the next owner. smile.png

The pivot points/linkages/cables etc I can understand. As they use a thinner lube.

But head bearings are quite beefy & in cups or sealed & do not get

any real heat/workout (as long as head is adjusted with no slop) + usually greased with something heavier.

So aside from someone who uses a pressure washer on that area I couldn't imagine them needing

anything at 24k

Never know I guess...

Edited by mania