Don Mueang - Suvarnabhumi Free Airport Shuttle - Trip Report

There have been a number of posts about the new shuttle going from Suvanabhumi to Don Mueang, but also a number of posts asking about the reverse trip.

I arrived back from Yangon to DMK today, so thought it might be good to post a trip report on the reverse journey with the new free AOT shuttle bus.

The pick-up point is outside door 8 on the ground floor (head left as you come out from baggage collection, follow the signs for Shuttle Bus and Taxis)

It is right down the South end of the kerb past the taxis, outside door 8.

It is clearly signposted, and there is a large board showing all departure times.

It shows that there are 2 departures per hour (not 1 as previously thought)..On the hour, and at 20 past. (see the attached photos for all scheduled times)

I got outside at around 3:30pm, so I had missed the scheduled 15:20 departure.

The bus arrived about 15:50, and several people boarded. By the time the bus left (right on 4:00pm) there were about a dozen people on board.

Smooth sailing - hit some traffic coming off the Vivabhadhi Rangsit expressway onto the road to Suvarnabhumi near Makkasan.

Slowed down for some more traffic past Huamak...

Even with fairly heavy Friday afternoon traffic - the bus arrived at the Suvanabhumi Departures level at 16:55 (4:55pm), so exactly 55 minutes for the entire journey.....

Happy travels

SVB

post-136-0-41875700-1351259076_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-69801500-1351259085_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-72040500-1351259094_thumb.jpg

post-136-0-02993600-1351259104_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the report SeaVisionBurma much appreciated.

Did you notice if there is a proper luggage compartment on these buses, sure I read somewhere there wasn't one. I am travelling with a bicycle in a box next month and will use the shuttle bus if I can get my bike box on-board easily enough.

Thanks again

No luggage compartments unfortunately - whatever luggage you have is taken on board with you.

Bus has not been anywhere near full though for the trips I've done. I can't see you having a problem with taking your bike on board with you

Hope this helps

SVB

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_918D using Thaivisa Connect App

No luggage compartments unfortunately - whatever luggage you have is taken on board with you.

Bus has not been anywhere near full though for the trips I've done. I can't see you having a problem with taking your bike on board with you

Hope this helps

SVB

Sent from my ALCATEL_one_touch_918D using Thaivisa Connect App

You don't think that maybe there would be a few safety issues with a large bike box in the walk way to get around ?

You don't think that maybe there would be a few safety issues with a large bike box in the walk way to get around ?

Not from the trips I've done. Bus has had plenty of room, and I can't imagine the box being so massive that it would not be able to fit across some empty seats. Even in the aisle it would likely be fine. There's 2 doors to get on and off the bus.

That's just my opinion - ragandboneman can always give it a try, if its a problem then he can take a taxi....

It shows that there are 2 departures per hour (not 1 as previously thought)..On the hour, and at 20 past. (see the attached photos for all scheduled times)

I got outside at around 3:30pm, so I had missed the scheduled 15:20 departure.

From looking at the timetable photo above, and a similar one on the Swampy forum:

it looks to me like it is only hourly buses between 10pm (22.00) and 10am (10.00).

from other reports I guess these buses are the normal BMTA orange AC-buses, that were also used for a time for inner-swampy shuttles. NO of these shuttle buses nighttime. There are a very few regular BJTA-555 buses on tghe main road during the night. Anyway: DMK has NO flights dep. between 23-6.00.

...NO of these shuttle buses nighttime...

There's buses at night time up until last shuttle departure at midnight. Shuttle departures recommence at 05:00

There's photos of the actual timetable in the OP at the top of this thread - click on them to enlarge.

Thanks for the generous information. How was the immigration line when you arrived?

Seemed quite busy - each counter had a queue around 15-20 pax long when I arrived. Didn't take long to get through though (around 15:00/3pm)

There were a couple of diplomatic counters/thai VIP counters adjacent to the busy foreigner lines, but every time one of these counters became free, an immigration official pulled the next in line from one of our queues and sent them over to the diplomatic/VIP line. (sensible)

Took less than 10 minutes...

Great info, very useful!

Quick question: if I take the 5 am from Suvarnabhumi will it take about the same time as you experienced (55 mins)? How's the traffic at this time? I'm catching a flight to Yangon from Don Mueang at 7:15, gate closes at 6:55.

Would I be better off taking bus #554?

Thanks in advance, much appreciated!

Sent from my LG-P500 using Thaivisa Connect App

Great info, very useful!

Quick question: if I take the 5 am from Suvarnabhumi will it take about the same time as you experienced (55 mins)? How's the traffic at this time? I'm catching a flight to Yangon from Don Mueang at 7:15, gate closes at 6:55.

If there is a 5am from Suvarnabhumi then I think you could take that. I doubt it would take any longer than 55 minutes at that time of the day. I think 45-50 minutes is probably more likely.

If you're doing online check-in and just need to do bag drop (you're on Air Asia right?), then I think you're going to get through fine.

How to go from DM to payathai ?

Last 2 times I took the free airport shuttle from DMK to Suvanabhumi, then took the Airport Rail Link city line to Phaya Thai.

Long trip, nearly 2 hours all up - but cheap at 45 baht. Not good if you have a lot of luggage though.

How to go from DM to payathai ?

Depending on your preferences transport and cost wise the easiest way is to taxi from DMK to Mo Chit BTS station then take the BTS, should take around 15-20 mins except for the am peak. You could also take any one of numerous buses (510 is good) or vans at the bus stop outside on Vihavadi-Rangsit rd.

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

My flight lands at Suvarnabhumi at 0800. I figure it will take me about an hour or so to get through immigration and collect my luggage. I have a 1245 flight from DMK. Can I make it using the shuttle or would I better off getting a taxi?

• 3 weeks later...

My son is flying in to Suv with some friends and connecting at don muang for an onward flight to Phuket, I wasn't aware of the shuttle bus between airports since its a long time since I've used don muang,,, I'd be grateful if someone can update on where the pickup point at SUV is also how regular is the service

Thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I'm planning to take the free shuttle from Don Mueang to Swampy and then the Bell Bus to Pattaya.

Just want to double check that I don't have to show a ticket departing Swampy to take the shuttle, right?

If you read through the main shuttle bus thread, http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/583608-shuttle-service-don-mueang-suvarnabhumi-airports-starts-oct-1/ you'll find that most people report not needing to show a ticket/booking print out. Some do. It doesn't really seem to matter but then sometimes it does.

You should be fine without it but if asked you could always quote a flight number (obviously check beforehand) to reinforce the impression that you have a booking and are transferring to another flight.

I was on another thread a couple of weeks ago where I got some excellent advice. Seems this is the place to report back. Hope it helps ..... First time I attempted this journey.

Arrived at Dom Muang (roadside arrivals) at 1155 hrs on a Sunday. Two buses waiting before the taxi rank. One for Mo Chit, the other to Suvarnabhumi. Cost zero just had to show onward flight eticket. Bus departs 1200 hrs. Duration 45 minutes. Perfect and hassle free.

On the way back I had only 2 hours from plane doors Suvarnabhumi to final minute check in at Dom Muang. This on a Monday afternoon. It took me 35 mins to clear immigration and customs, and 10 mins to find the rail link bottom floor. A further 5 mins wait for the next city line train through to Phaya Thai. Successfully changed to Mo Chit BTS. Arrived taxi rank (for Dom Muang) with 21 minutes to spare. Explained to taxi driver he would be paid very generously if he could get me to Nok Air Departures in 10 minutes, maximum 15. Dunno how, but I made check in with 2 mins 20 secs to spare. Very very stressful, and not recommended. I was simply not in the mood for 24 hrs overnight in BKK. Next time I will take the more relaxing option!

Archived