Need Help In Where To Find A Motorized Wheelchair !

Alexpho

Hello folks,

I plan on flying into Bangkok in two weeks. I am a Lao-American headin back again to visit the family and friends. In my short time in Bangkok, I would like to find a wheelchair shop where I can purchase a motorized wheelchair ( runs on battery, new or used ), the type seen mostly used by handicapped people. It is not for me but for my nephew in Luang Prabang, Laos. If I am lucky to find and the price is reasonable, I will then get it and track it up with me to Luang Prabang.

Anyone know of a shop somewhere around Bangkok or any other place in Thailand? Last time I was there, I ran into one of those Thai " info-mercials " on TV and could not get a phone number quick enough.

Any suggestions on where to start ( or a price range ) would be greatly appreaciated.

Alex

does he not have a standard wheelchair to get about in?depending on how disabled he is maybe a mobility scooter would be a better purchase....u can get some seriously rugged ones depending on the type of terrain it will seewhy not purchase a s/hand one in the states where u will get more for your money and a better choice and ship it with u when u fly.........if u say that it is needed for you and get a walking stick to look the part the airlines are duty bound to carry it on the flight for you free of charge http://www.mobility-...ithScooter.html

Edited by nattydread

As a motorized wheelchair user myself I would urge you to think twice about this. Motorized wheelchairs need infrastructure. They cannot climb curbs and they do not travel well on non paved surfaces. You also do not mention the age of the child or his/her needs which all reflect on what sho uld be used. Battery charging requires power and floors must be strong enough for the weight of the chair. Without a wheelchair hoist they cannot fit into transport and are due to lack of infrastructure only useful inside..

My strong suggetion is you consider getting a reasonably light folding wheelchair such as the Karma range which is available here for about 15000 baht. It folds and can be lifted onto transport and with assistance can be lifted up stairs into buildings. Most of the other manual wheelchairs here are too heavy and do not fold although they are cheaper.

You also have to consider that service for an electric wheelchair is not really availabe. As an example I had to get someone in the states to buy tyres for me at a cost of $200 and send them here at a cost of $350 more for freight and tax.

• Like 1

you dont say how old he is but wouldnt a handa wave and sidecar nodified to let the user steer from the sidecar be a more cost effective option easily fixed and cheap to run in the boonies?

heres a version with a Honda Click as the donor bike but i would say the Honda Wave is a better bet where your going....I see many of these machines in Thailand

Hi Guys,

First off, thank you kindly for all the wonderful responses ! Sorry it has taken so long to respond back.

My nephew is a young man, around age 20. He has no control of his legs. Right now, he is housebound, at times alone but always need the assistance of others to bathe and many of the daily living functions. His on this standard folding wheelchair. The area is still very rugged, house is not handicap friendly, but he is only like 10 meters from the main paved road. I just want him to go outside and move around on his own, nothing fancy or daily trips to far away places.

I can see him in the scooter type wheelchair. His upper extremities are still strong.

I fly out in two days. I will begin the vigorous research to acquire one when in BKK.

You guys are a blessing. Thank you kindly.

• Like 1

I can see him in the scooter type wheelchair

I would be very wary about buying this type of scooter because of reliability issues along with the fact u state that where he lives is a rugged area...the scooters in the pics are meant for shopping malls or paved flat areas and will not handle rugged terrain....also where are u going to get parts to fix it when it goes wrong or even someone with the know how to service it?

I have been trying to find a pic of the Honda Wave disabled wheelchair user sidecar that i was talking about in another post but havent been able to find one..the outfit is the same as a standard type Wave and Sidecar except the handlebars are mounted on the front of the sidecar with an arm connected to the headstock of the bike thus allowing control of the machine from the wheelchair user who sits in the chair inside the sidecar..the user enters and exits via a ramp at the back of the sidecar..the gear lever and rear brake are also modified to allow them to be hand controlled from the sidecar....this sort of set up can be easily and cheaply maintained by the local motorbike shop and will last him indefinitly rather than a couple of years at best from a scooter

I would suggest u have a talk with your nephew stating the alternatives and see what he says

heres a CM based charity that could help point u in the right direction

http://www.netzkraft.net/mitglied.php?teilnehmer=766〈=englisch

all the best

post-92214-0-21064700-1352291269.jpg

• 6 years later...

Pattaya orphanage ( Father Ray foundation ) has a dedicated organisation for disabled. If they can't help you I doubt anyone can.

There is a disabled guy selling flowers on Walking Street from a motorised trike like mentioned before on this thread. It would be better than a wheelchair.