Is A Airline Transport Pilot's Licence Equivalant To A Bachelor Degree

cihan

A friend of mine has been teaching in a state school for a couple of months, but has had his application for a teachers licence turned down because the counter staff at the Teacher's Council of Thailand didn't accept his qualification as a degree.

He has an airline transport pilot's licence and worked in Europe for almost 30 years as an airline pilot before retiring to Thailand. Unfortunately he doesn't have a university degree. Does anyone know if there may be a solution to this problem?

A friend of mine has been teaching in a state school for a couple of months, but has had his application for a teachers licence turned down because the counter staff at the Teacher's Council of Thailand didn't accept his qualification as a degree.

He has an airline transport pilot's licence and worked in Europe for almost 30 years as an airline pilot before retiring to Thailand. Unfortunately he doesn't have a university degree. Does anyone know if there may be a solution to this problem?

unfotunately they do not like equivalent qualifications there. Like HNDs and EASA /CAA B1 & B2 licences. Sad really real:blink:

Sent from my GT-P1000 using Thaivisa Connect App

"He has an airline transport pilot's licence and worked in Europe for almost 30 years as an airline pilot before retiring to Thailand. Unfortunately he doesn't have a university degree."

He should be allowed to teach kids in LOS, as there isn't too much difference in flying without Radar and going with the flow.

The Teachers' Council are correct. Working as an airline pilot for 30 years does not mean someone can teach children or adults. Qualifying as a pilot is not equivalent to a university degree.

The UK's Ofqual recognises certain chartered professional bodies' qualifications as being equivalent to a first class honours degree. This is because the Privy Council monitors the rigour of the syllabue and examination requirements to be awarded graduate status.

Many people have come to Thailand and see teaching a good way of earning some extra income or obtaining a visa and staying longer. Would you be happy for you children to be taught by someone who has no proven academic level or wide teaching experience? I wouldn't.

The Teachers' Council are correct. Working as an airline pilot for 30 years does not mean someone can teach children or adults. Qualifying as a pilot is not equivalent to a university degree.

The UK's Ofqual recognises certain chartered professional bodies' qualifications as being equivalent to a first class honours degree. This is because the Privy Council monitors the rigour of the syllabue and examination requirements to be awarded graduate status.

Many people have come to Thailand and see teaching a good way of earning some extra income or obtaining a visa and staying longer. Would you be happy for you children to be taught by someone who has no proven academic level or wide teaching experience? I wouldn't.

I would be OK for a professional pilot of 30 years to teach, if they received training, my kids .

I wouldn't be happy for someone who can't spell syllabi/syllabus to teach my kids.

Have you got a link to support your comment regarding the Privy Council?

Can you quote from any post on this thread that the pilot wants to become a teacher in order to extend his visa?

• Like 2

He could try and see if his pilot training and experience can count towards a degree of some sort. There are some proper online degrees nowadays.

(Avoid the "life experience" degrees in general, as they're usually from unaccredited institutions, so aren't worth the paper they're printed on, but he will have learned things in getting his commercial pilot licence flying that could count as some credits towards a degree in avionics, or something similar maybe.)

Im sure the op is technically proficient at teaching conversationa English but his licence does in no way = a liberal arts degree. My line of thinking more like a vocational AA degree.

As for the mechanics of teaching, these could be learned in a course or self taught - public speaking, peer teaching, demonstrations, product roll outs...

Could a lifetime of reading quality non fiction and classics remedy the distance, yes.

Its not just a piece of paper, its an accomplishment.

Edited by bangkokburning

I don't see how my degree in History qualifies me for teaching English anymore than some one with an ATR is qualified to teach English. All either degree or rating shows is that the individual who holds them was very disciplined to study and do the work required to earn them. I also have a TEFL and to me that qualifies me for teaching far more than my BA.

Most countries that have their act together in Asia require Bachelor's degree for a reason. It should demonstrate the person has rec'd stand lower division in core courses in Maths, composition as well as English, Humanities and the Social Sciences (the most difficult being History). A BA in History requires loads of writing and critical thinking. So that is the goal of asking for a BA. It is an arbitrary stick to gauge that you are not a total idiot, unlike not having one.

Then there are other issues such as if you are plucked from nowhere, you understand how classrooms and adult teachers are supposed to operate. You've seen it. You should have the understanding of how to dress and act like an adult, of meeting expectation and responsibility.

The want grads for the same reason everyone else does. Proven commodity in therory.

Can you be a great teacher without a degree? Perhaps.

Can you be a crap teacher with a degree? Sure.

Does a TEFL course help? I would think so.

Is a TEFL course a must to be a good teacher - no.

Edited by bangkokburning

bangkokburning, "So that is the goal of asking for a BA. It is an arbitrary stick to gauge that you are not a total idiot, unlike not having one.

Then there are other issues such as if you are plucked from nowhere, you understand how classrooms and adult teachers are supposed to operate. You've seen it. You should have the understanding of how to dress and act like an adult, of meeting expectation and responsibility." All of those things would apply to a holder of an ATR also. Plus a pilot flying for 30 years would have been a Captain where he had a first officer flying with him, and almost for sure have teaching experience teaching the first officer. To tell you the truth if I was hiring a teacher and didn't have to worry about the license, all things been equal I would take the ATR holder over the BA holder, and no I do not have an ATR, long ago I did have a private pilot's license.

Most countries that have their act together in Asia require Bachelor's degree for a reason. It should demonstrate the person has rec'd stand lower division in core courses in Maths, composition as well as English, Humanities and the Social Sciences (the most difficult being History). A BA in History requires loads of writing and critical thinking. So that is the goal of asking for a BA. It is an arbitrary stick to gauge that you are not a total idiot, unlike not having one.

Then there are other issues such as if you are plucked from nowhere, you understand how classrooms and adult teachers are supposed to operate. You've seen it. You should have the understanding of how to dress and act like an adult, of meeting expectation and responsibility.

The want grads for the same reason everyone else does. Proven commodity in therory.

Maybe teachers should know how to spell "theory."

An airline pilot doesn't know how to dress for a job? He just fell off a turnip truck? An airline pilot doesn't know anything about "meeting an expectation and responsibility?" He doesn't know how to act and dress like an adult?

I wish teachers had to remain calm through moments of sheer terror and bring everything they know and can do physically to bear in split seconds like an airline... Oh they do. It's the kids causing it. :)

An airline pilot hasn't proven he's smart and talented as hell over 30 years as he first gained and then maintained through regular refreshing and testing his ratings and his job? He didn't constantly teach the first officer and if there, the second officer? His life depends on that second officer at times. So do the lives of the 300 or so souls on board.

I understand that the ATP doesn't qualify in LOS for teaching, but it does at 30,000 feet at 500 miles per hour with 300 people's lives, a million pounds of plane, people, cargo and fuel at stake. It isn't correct to assume the things you did about his inner person just because he doesn't have a BA.

Chances are really good that he got his first training in the military. Being. shot. at. Few people can afford the total jet hours and training to qualify as a jet engine ATP on their own dimes.