Judicial Proceedings Visa (Divorce)

I came to Thailand without a visa this time around and got stopped at Chaengwattana when applying for an extension of stay. So I can apply for a 7 day visa extension. This ordinarily would not be a problem to simply go to Laos and take care of it but my schedule is flexible for the next month. I wish to divorce my estranged wife and I am aware of a type of visa that allows for extended stays in Thailand for legal proceedings. Does anyone know if getting a divorce is a qualifier for this type of visa and what documentation is needed?

Possibly but I am on a tourist visa a.t.m. are you suggesting that I extend a tourist visa for sixty days to visit my wife? If so would I could do that but would I need her signature or supporting documents of some sort? We did this when I first arrived over two years ago but I am not staying with her. They asked at immigration if I had a Thai wife and I explained we are separated so I assume there is a requirement that I am staying with them. Hence why I was able to do that with them two years ago.

Have you filed for divorce with the courts? If so, you should have the papers with court date.

Would recommend taking these to immigration to try and get an extension

Although if the case is not registered with the court and no court date set, likely no chance for this type of extension

Have you filed for divorce with the courts? If so, you should have the papers with court date.

Would recommend taking these to immigration to try and get an extension

Although if the case is not registered with the court and no court date set, likely no chance for this type of extension

Not yet I have been giving my ex (too much) opportunity to reconcile outside of court and cool off. I had to file a police report the other day after she attempted to run me down with her car because we disagreed about some particular issues I was jai yen yen wai2.gif the entire time because I've been through this too many times before. Just get the police to deal with her now. That is a good suggestion though I will go to the court and file tomorrow. I would go to the local district office and file for a contested divorce right?

You can extend for 60 days based on visiting your wife on any kind of entry, but will need the cooperation of the wife and she will need to join you to immirgaiton. (It is to visit her).

What you are talking about is getting an extension because of being involved in a legal proceeding.

2.26 In the case of litigation or court proceedings:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 90 days.

(1) There must be evidence confirming that the applicant is involved in a litigation or court proceedings as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant, or witness.

havent seen many of them, but it is necesarry that you show that there is a court case.

You can extend for 60 days based on visiting your wife on any kind of entry, but will need the cooperation of the wife and she will need to join you to immirgaiton. (It is to visit her).

What you are talking about is getting an extension because of being involved in a legal proceeding.

2.26 In the case of litigation or court proceedings:

Each permission shall be granted for no more than 90 days.

(1) There must be evidence confirming that the applicant is involved in a litigation or court proceedings as accuser, injured person, accused, plaintiff, defendant, or witness.

havent seen many of them, but it is necesarry that you show that there is a court case.

Thank you Mario, am I right in assuming that this visa type falls under the Non-O category?

I think you can apply for an extension of stay based on this, regardless of your visa.

If you want to apply for a visa in Laos, this would be a non-O visa. But no idea what docuemtns would be required to obtain the visa. I guess you will need to have at least filed for divorce at the court and have courts documents to proof that.

But with marriage certificate you might get a non-O (single entry) anyway. With some documents form your wife (copy ID-card and houshold registration), wedding certificate (khor rhor 3 form) and entry into wedding register (khor rhor 2 form) and preferably a small note from the misses you might get a multiple non-O in savanahkhet.

I think you can apply for an extension of stay based on this, regardless of your visa.

If you want to apply for a visa in Laos, this would be a non-O visa. But no idea what docuemtns would be required to obtain the visa. I guess you will need to have at least filed for divorce at the court and have courts documents to proof that.

But with marriage certificate you might get a non-O (single entry) anyway. With some documents form your wife (copy ID-card and houshold registration), wedding certificate (khor rhor 3 form) and entry into wedding register (khor rhor 2 form) and preferably a small note from the misses you might get a multiple non-O in savanahkhet.

I've done the non-O route before in Vientienne but I don't think I had the wedding certificate (thai) but I had the certificate from the states. I've already looked into Savannakhet as an option but like I said my schedule is not flexible at the moment, not unless there is a mail in service but there are none that I am aware of anymore.

Although a Thai marriage registration is not required if you have foreign marriage a copy of wife ID card and home registration would be needed. in addition to foreign certificate, for any non immigrant O visa from local Consulates.