Road Biking In Pattaya

Skeety65

I've recently bought a road bike and have been riding back and forth from Pattaya to Sattihip which is a decent ride but not challenging enough in terms of climbs. Does anyone know if there are any hill climbs anywhere along that route or do you know of any other more challenging routes where the traffic isn't too busy.

i ride a variety of roads around pattaya some with small hills and inclines but none of em too steep and i get a pretty decent workout, i can appreciate that you are maybe a lot younger than me and need challenging so you could try going up the new rd from suk towards bangkok i normally finish off my ride by going that way up to the regents school down the 36 rd and home, anyway god luck and have a nice ride.

Skeety..

plenty of fine side roads off the beaten path of Hwy #3 (Sukhumvit).

Head to a bookstore and buy any map with interactive DVD of SE Region.

Or suss out Google Earth. Do your homerwork. A GPS is not needed, but you do need a grasp of spatial relationships,

Once you locate Pluak Daeng (easy of Pattaya), head north on Hwy#3245.

This is much better than #331.

A serene road.

All the little moobahns(villages) along the way have a "hong pak" or "room to rest"---yes, guest house.

Pedal your brains out, stopping for somtam and BBQ chicken and or water and gawfee. Push yourself.

I did this and had a blast, stopping over in BoThong. No matter where you stop--just ask about. Kon Tai will know of a room to rent,

about 300b-600b. Very nice.

Head east on Highway #3259 (elephant preserve). Drop down to Hwy#3434 to Highway #317. Soi Dao.

You want hills? You have arrived at a sweet climb. Knock yourself out.

You climb climb climb and then drop down into Chathaburi.

Loops back to Rayong, Ban Chang, Sattahip, Pattaya.

True, in sections, Sukhumvit is unavoidable, but study the maps and you will find some cool back roads.

Thailand has gotta be the best country on the planet in which to pedla a bicycle, hands down!

Keep it fun!

Use the road along the train to south,then turn left when road ends, head all the way east, you will find hills ,cross 331 and more hills will be on your way, not the alps, but at times steep,

Happy cycling , there are plenty of quiet roads with acceptable to good surface for a couple of decent 80 to 150 km rides south east of Pattaya

Wenne

A few small hills are off Suk down by Baan Amphur. A nice area is up by the Silverlake winery and up and past the temple which you get to by turning off Suk before the turn to the winery. If you go through the temple, there are a few nice roads that go up into some hills...and eventually end up on 331.

• Like 1

Try the hill from Wat Yangsamwararam, just before Silverlake, up to SaKaew - no bends, just straight up! As Craig says, plenty of hills all round Ban Amphur and the surrounding area and its quite easy to get a circuit going using 331.

Edited by LeCharivari

• 8 months later...

If you ride to Sattahip and its not too challenging keep going down Sukhumvit to Ban Chang, Rayong. Turn right towards Phala beach then when you come to the roundabout turn left. Theres a beach restaurant on your right called Burgers Bus, keep going along that road and then there is a huge hill to the top to Phala Beach resort. Go up then down the hill then keep going to the junction. If you turn left it takes you to Ban Chang and right is Phayoon beach. Go straight on towards Nam Rin beach and you come to some more hills, once you get to Nam Rin beach turn around and go back and forth until you feel you've had enough. I go along this route everyday and theres a very nice view of the beach as you ride along. Moving back to Pattaya next month and will miss this ride out. Do you know of any good cycle routes around the East Pattaya area? I will be living just opposite Makro on the dark side.

• 5 months later...

Its a bit late now and maybe you have already sussed out the rides around the (dark) east side of pattaya but a nice and easy 40/45 Km ride from the MAKRO area on Sukhumvit

is get onto the railway road, head North (The dual carriageway) that parallels Sukhumvit and ride down to the crossing where it intersects with Soi Siam Country club, turn right and go straight up the Soi Country club road till you come to Lake Mabrachan on the left hand side

Ride all the way around the lake and not turning off at he couple of right hand turns,

On the other side of the lake there is a nice little hill (1Km) as soon as you have gone over the top of the hill start looking for a left turn, next to a bus shelter, this will take you over the Dam road on the lake and back onto Soi Siam Country club.

At the end of the Dam road turn left and ride about 350Ms and turn right, sign posted Ban Hue Yai, another nice smallish hill and ride to the T junction (about 4Km), turn right and this takes you back down towards the Temple that is at the top of Soi Nabplanwan,.

at the T junction you can either turn left or right and any of these roads (Nabplanwan or Soi Siam Country club) will take you back to Sukhumvit.

Once you do this trip you will find some of the nicest and quietest roads around pattaya

I do a similar ride every other day and if you want to have a bit of company then give me a PM