Removing My Hard-Drive And Into Another Computer

David48

Removing My Hard-drive and into another computer

I wish to remove the hard-drive from my desk top computer and temporarily place it in another desk top computer.

Both are older computers and my current operating system is XP.

• Is it feasible?

• How to do?

• What to be careful about?

• What have I forgot to ask?

• What else do I need to tell you guys to answer this question?

As always … thanks in advance.

It's quite easy if the connections are the same but you will have to re-authenticate xp in the new pc because of the more that 3 hardware changes rule you just have to and then do the same again putting it back which they probably won't let you do after a short period of time better cloning it to another blank hard drive this k I'm right on this hope it helps

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect App

Temporarily, I mean, using the data only, I hope" Yes, that will be no problem.

But I doubt, that you will be able, to start windows as windows from your old computer under a different hardware composition!

If not the computer is a total clone off the other one, the main board the same, the GPU, CPU / RAM typ, ect, all the same, windows will not be found as a working system. It's not only the '3 hardware things' change rule.

Windows is installed on a composition of hardware, first.

On specific hardware 'numbers' with this composition, second.

If the composition is changed in on time, windows doesn't 'see' a system to start. the 3 change rule means uninstall old (GPU, p.ex.), install instead this(GPU, p.ex.!

But your HDD will show up with additional HDD Letters, like a second internal/external HDD, the Programs installed on 'your desktop computer' are only folders, in the 'other desktop computer'. You will not be able, to run em, as long they arent installed on the other system, too.

You'll have access to all data, only need to find them, in 'your HDD' from 'the others XP-system'

Probably my trying to explain this windows 'kind of a problem' isn't that good, but google with "move a old HDD to another PC" will explain it better.

Edited by noob7

it will work fine if you make the hard drive a slave( the one you remove) and the other one the master

just change the jumper's on the hard drives,

when done just change the jumpers back

That assumes that the drives are IDE. If they're SATA it's irrelevant. We need to know what the OP wishes to achieve by this drive swap before we can advise him.

Why do you want to do this? What are you trying to achieve?

Why ... because I leaving the home country for two months in Thailand.

Usually I stay in the City ... but this time it will be at the Farm.

So, will little to occupy my days I thought it would be a good opportunity to go through the old hard drive and delete the stuff not relevant today.

Generally take care of business.

Plus I can remote into my email server (not hotmail etc) through a web browser, but that has a limit of 10 meg hence fills up after a few weeks.

I thought if I could use my hard drive I could download those emails ... added to the stuff above I wish to do.

it will work fine if you make the hard drive a slave( the one you remove) and the other one the master

just change the jumper's on the hard drives,

when done just change the jumpers back

That assumes that the drives are IDE. If they're SATA it's irrelevant. We need to know what the OP wishes to achieve by this drive swap before we can advise him.

Thanks endure ... I've tried to explain (above).

Maybe it's something which I can't achieve, given my low level of computer expertise.

Edited by David48

A cradle is an inexpensive device that plugs into a USB port, the "cradle" is a plastic unit designed to accept a hard disc drive (you can buy them for whatever physical size of drive you require). So, litterally plug it all in and access your data, useful if you've got old drives laying around that you want to explore.

If you can't find a cradle for whatever reason, a portable hard drive casing will do exactly the same thing, should be able to get one for sub 1,000 baht.

Edited by chiang mai

I have a All in One Docking Station, I bought from a little shop so paid more but still under 1,000 baht, have seen then for 850 baht..

It is trendy IDE & SATA hard disk docking station combo with Card Reader + Hub, supports direct plug of IDE & SATA hard disk, and can read CF, SD, TF, XD and MS, up to 64 memory cards. At least 2 USB devices through the 2 -- ports hub for File sharing.

post-42643-0-59141100-1351558561_thumb.j

post-42643-0-25002400-1351558592_thumb.j

post-42643-0-95348300-1351558619_thumb.j

post-42643-0-67446700-1351558642_thumb.j

post-42643-0-21222100-1351558668_thumb.j

Works very well

• Like 2

Why do you want to do this? What are you trying to achieve?

Why ... because I leaving the home country for two months in Thailand.

Usually I stay in the City ... but this time it will be at the Farm.

So, will little to occupy my days I thought it would be a good opportunity to go through the old hard drive and delete the stuff not relevant today.

Generally take care of business.

Plus I can remote into my email server (not hotmail etc) through a web browser, but that has a limit of 10 meg hence fills up after a few weeks.

I thought if I could use my hard drive I could download those emails ... added to the stuff above I wish to do.

Simplest would be to just buy an external USB hard drive (or thumb drive if your data fits) and copy to that to take to the farm. Edit that and copy back to hard drive at home later. You'll also have a back up of your data then;-)

Edited by Digitalbanana

Some great replies above ... I do warmly appreciate the advice.

That 'All in One Docking Station' does look good ... thumbsup.gif

Does sort of look a bit weird spinning the Hard Drive vertically ... blink.png

Are they readily available in Thailand?

I have used a multi card reader before but it was only a small one and I bought it because my first digital Olympus Camera had one of those micro chips and the adapter, as it slotted into the camera did fit the slot in my NetBook.

I note that Olympus now seem to use a 'standard' card in (some of) their cameras now.

Some great replies above ... I do warmly appreciate the advice.

That 'All in One Docking Station' does look good ... thumbsup.gif

Does sort of look a bit weird spinning the Hard Drive vertically ... blink.png

Are they readily available in Thailand?

I have used a multi card reader before but it was only a small one and I bought it because my first digital Olympus Camera had one of those micro chips and the adapter, as it slotted into the camera did fit the slot in my NetBook.

I note that Olympus now seem to use a 'standard' card in (some of) their cameras now.

Nearest Big place to me is about 40 km away at Nonthaburi, Pantip 2............ 3 km away from me is a block of house shops, one shop is a computer shop, I bought from him was on the shelve, I believe was 920 baht, so more expensive but much cheaper for me as saved driving 80 km there and back to Pantip 2..

• 4 weeks later...

I have a All in One Docking Station, I bought from a little shop so paid more but still under 1,000 baht, have seen then for 850 baht..

It is trendy IDE & SATA hard disk docking station combo with Card Reader + Hub, supports direct plug of IDE & SATA hard disk, and can read CF, SD, TF, XD and MS, up to 64 memory cards. At least 2 USB devices through the 2 -- ports hub for File sharing.

post-42643-0-59141100-1351558561_thumb.j

post-42643-0-25002400-1351558592_thumb.j

post-42643-0-95348300-1351558619_thumb.j

post-42643-0-67446700-1351558642_thumb.j

post-42643-0-21222100-1351558668_thumb.j

Works very well

Mate, was in MBK over the week-end, asked around and only one shop something and it was upwards of B2,000.

Didn't get to Pantip though ... ermm.gif

Sisters gf works in the industry and she also asked and found one for B1,600 ... trusted price, not inflated for me.

Anyone else got/bought one recently in the same style?

We rang the number on the image, but it's a Chinese style and apparently not available at the moment/any more.

MBK is not the ideal place to be looking as the range of computer shops there is small compared to Pantip. For 1,600 baht what you will be probably be getting is one with the faster USB 3.0 For over 2,000 it was most likely one that handles two hard disks. If you are happy with USB 2.0 then prices will range from 800-1300 baht. I'd get one with USB 3.0 myself if buying today because it is the current standard you find on many new computers.

Alternatively get an USB 3.0 external case. Most only take a minute or two at most to insert your drive and you have better protection if travelling. Not sure what they sell for but I paid the equivalent of 700 baht for a USB 3.0 notebook drive case with USB 3.0 cable and carry case the other day in Singapore, so a 3.5 case you should be able to find in Bangkok for around 1,000 baht. Just go to Pantip or Fortune next time, not MBK...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

attachicon.gifDSC_6641.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6655.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6660.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6663.jpg

attachicon.gifDSC_6664.jpg

Works very well

Hi Ignis, I have the same HD docking station as you ,I bought off Ebay it was cheap but did not come with any instructions,

did yours, if it did ,I would be very grateful if you could post them on here,as I don't really know how to use it,and don't want

to mess anything up.

Regards Worgeordie, thanks

there are cheap cases, with power supply

I think that is one.

Attention when you see your hd it has two plugs one for electric and one for data.

If the Data one is large flat wire than you have IDE which is now pretty old fashion

If it is small it is SATA and modern style.

Which one is Data which is electric: The Data goes to the mainboard the electric to the power supply.

Or easiest open the old computer make a photo and I check out which product will be fitting.

Works very well

Mate, was in MBK over the week-end, asked around and only one shop something and it was upwards of B2,000.

Sisters gf works in the industry and she also asked and found one for B1,600 ... trusted price, not inflated for me.

We rang the number on the image, but it's a Chinese style and apparently not available at the moment/any more.

I suggest that you buy on line, go to this URL and look at this product: http://preview.tinyurl.com/buhznrp It can take up to 2 3.5"disks, standard desktop disks or 2 x 2.5" drives, generally laptop disks. Or a combination of both. It simply plugs into your USB connecter on your machine. As has been said about you can buy an enclosure box, they cost about 750 Baht for a 3.5" and 400-500 for a 2.5". Should be able to get them from any IT mal in Thailand. They are use, its dead easy to put the old drive in to one, just open the case slide teh drive into the SATA connection inside the box, close the case and plug the USB cable into the enclosure box and teh other end into a USB port and you are done.

Works very well

Happened to see this exact model the other day (850 baht) and plenty of others as well.

http://www.ksscom.co.th/products/product/view/92/768.html

http://www.ksscom.co.th/products/external-hdd-box.html

KSS have a bunch of stores at Zeer Rangsit including a couple on the 3rd and 4th floor that stock a huge range of computer peripherals. It's one of the best places I've found for general purpose cables, connectors, mice etc. at budget prices.