Thai Army Chief Confirms No Coup

webfact

Army Chief confirms no revolution

BANGKOK, 30 September 2012 (NNT) -The Army Chief has denied rumors of a coup d’etat. He also urged the Pitak Siam or Siam Protection rally to organize gatherings within the law.

Army Chief General Prayuth Chan-ocha said the position of Deputy Prime Minister General Yuthasak Sasiprapa is in charge of security and as such, commands the loyalties of the Thai military. General Prayuth also denied criticizing the new cabinet reshuffle.

He added that the Pitak Siam rally led by General Boonlert Kaewprasit has the legal democratic right to congregate and protest against the government.

However, the Army Chief also urged rally participants to cease attempts to incite a military coup.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2012-10-30 footer_n.gif

This must come as a real disappointment to Jatupon ? It makes him look as though he doesn't know what he's talking about ! All those promises of a coup, over the past year or two ! laugh.png

Then again if the Big Boss really does visit Dawei and Tachilek as promised by Noppadon, and suddenly decides to cross the border after all, who knows what the army might feel it has to do ?

One can only hope that sanity prevails, the Big Boss remains engrossed in the manipulation of world rice-prices, Yingluck continues to try to run the country, and things bumble along as usual.

The current dictator of Siam and puppet of the elite has spoken .... again.

How can one be a dictator and a puppet at the same time?

I saw Prayuth up close at the latest retirement party at the Army Club.

You don't mess around with this guy. He is supremely confident and exudes an air of authority. He can sing, too.

However, all these denials of a coup are worrying. Right before the last coup, there were also several denials of a coup.

Always are denials. If I had the future of the government and had the entire Thai army basically at my beck and call, I would be a pretty confident man too.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Then again if the Big Boss really does visit Dawei and Tachilek as promised by Noppadon, and suddenly decides to cross the border after all, who knows what the army might feel it has to do ?

One can only hope that sanity prevails, the Big Boss remains engrossed in the manipulation of world rice-prices, Yingluck continues to try to run the country, and things bumble along as usual.

If Big Boss does suddenly decide to enter Thailand, unannounced, it would be a crucial turning point in the country.

Whoever wants to respond to that, would have to move very quickly. The Army might be watch very carefully to see if he does.

The decisive coup cannot happen yet.

However I think that the military/elite vs. Thaksin showdown is inevitable and it will plunge this country deeper into the abyss from which it will never recover.

Why can it not happen yet? You mean it will only happen should TS return?

If Big Boss does suddenly decide to enter Thailand, unannounced, it would be a crucial turning point in the country.

Whoever wants to respond to that, would have to move very quickly. The Army might be watch very carefully to see if he does.

However I think that the military/elite vs. Thaksin showdown is inevitable and it will plunge this country deeper into the abyss from which it will never recover.

Why can it not happen yet? You mean it will only happen should TS return?

"Decisive Coup"? It is just part of the ebb and flow of politics. There is no such thing as a decisive coup.......

• Like 1

...there will be no flood...there will be no coup...we will get rid of the tourist mafia in 6 months...tourist-police will be fluent in English in six months...we should brace for a heavy tropical storm...there is no place like home...there is no place like home....

When there IS going to be a coup, the Army chief will inform you around 1 hour after it happens.

Then those who whine and moan when the man correctly answers a legitimate question can leave their keyboards and take to the streets to protest. Good luck with that.

When there IS going to be a coup, the Army chief will inform you around 1 hour after it happens.

Then those who whine and moan when the man correctly answers a legitimate question can leave their keyboards and take to the streets to protest. Good luck with that.

Yep.

If it should happen, Mrs. EDrS and I will hunker down and be quiet as mice, way out of town, watching how soon this site will off the air.

Yep.

If it should happen, Mrs. EDrS and I will hunker down and be quiet as mice, way out of town, watching how soon this site will off the air.

It would not behoove the good general to publicly state that there will be a coup on 23 November - whether it was true or not. So Ozmick, +1

EDrS, if a coup should occur, I'll be at my home in the village - not stepping outside for a while, eh, but no doubt entertaining some trusted friends. I would imagine we'll only be able to watch military channels on television should a coup occur. So +1 to you as well.

Yep.

Last coup this site was not down, actually the military government shut of the censor system of Thailand.

It was the only short (days weeks??) time without censorship on internet.

"Thai Army Chief Confirms No Coup"

"Army Chief confirms no revolution"

...ahm...????Aside from the fact that a "coup" and a "revolution" are not really the same...what does this mean?

He will not confirm a coup and/or revolution (He confirms No coup)? Or he will confirm there is no coup and/or revolution (He confirms: "No coup")?

I am confused,,,,

Edited for my own better understanding

Edited by DocN

...ahm...????Aside from the fact that a "coup" and a "revolution" are not really the same...what does this mean?

He will not confirm a coup and/or revolution (He confirms No coup)? Or he will confirm there is no coup and/or revolution (He confirms: "No coup")?

I am confused,,,,

Just the standard mis-translation by a sub-editor or journalist that you should be used to by now.

I am confused,,,,

Just the standard mis-translation by a sub-editor or journalist that you should be used to by now.

Oh come on...cheer up!

I am just trying to be a cheeky little monkey!

"In this Wikileaks cable, dated 5 September 2006, U.S. Ambassador Ralph L. Boyce and Privy Councilor and former Army commander General Surayud Chulanont huddle on politics. Surayud tries to convince Boyce that there will be no coup. The coup came just 2 weeks after this cable was produced."

http://thaicables.wordpress.com/2011/07/13/06bangkok5423-ambassadors-september-1-meeting-with-privy-councilor-surayud-chulanont/

When the Ambassador remarked that, given Thai history, it might be unwise to think a coup would be impossible, Surayud simply laughed in response.

• Like 1

Have confidence in Thai people and their country.

It will take time to recover, but recover it will, in my opinion.

No way - - the coup WILL happen as there is now ay this bunch of scumbags will be voted out. How else do you think they can be removed?

Not that I care much who runs this country to ground, but...is THAT your idea of democracy and politics?

• Like 1

No way - - the coup WILL happen as there is now ay this bunch of scumbags will be voted out. How else do you think they can be removed?

Not that I care much who runs this country to ground, but...is THAT your idea of democracy and politics?

No but a necessary evil it would seem in thailand, i fear its the beginning of a cycle of criminals of changing colours in power,

The idea or the word coup is scary but if i could be convinced when (not if) the next one happens it brings a transparent government into power which could atleast bring the levels of corruption down to the perceived index level i welcome it with arms wide open.

He blusters "no coup." "Coup d'etat" taken from the French for "stroke of state" has the implicit element of "suddenness" or surprise. So only those in the "inner circle" of Thai command and control could/would initiate a coup in Thailand. Therefore, the head of the army blustering about this is a cool setup for the real coup based on assuming that the army commander is cool and strategic. If so, he would naturally deny a coup in the works for as long as possible so as to maintain its "suddenness" and "stroke of state" surprise.

Thai military junta dictatorial coups are a thing of the past.

The Junta Dictators assault on peaceful demonstrators at Rachaprasong, before the very eyes of the watching , disbelieving, international democratic nations, made sure of that.

However, for the thai generals, International Criminal Court appearances, in The Hague, are a thing of the future.

• Like 1