Getting Rid Of Ubc

thaigene2

I know the dish is small and fixed, but can't I just throw away the card and re-tune the box to download whatever free channels are in the footprint? Of course this means giving up the deposit I paid to UBC for the dish/box...

Other option is to install jsat etc..and retrieve my deposit from UBC..probably take months and several phone calls to get it back I reckon.

All I want is BBC World and some other english-lang channels (ABC Aus would be ok I guess). If I want an english movie I can rent it for 30 baht.

Do the Thai channels offer free satellite download? (for the wife).

I know the dish is small and fixed, but can't I just throw away the card and re-tune the box to download whatever free channels are in the footprint? Of course this means giving up the deposit I paid to UBC for the dish/box...

Other option is to install jsat etc..and retrieve my deposit from UBC..probably take months and several phone calls to get it back I reckon.

All I want is BBC World and some other english-lang channels (ABC Aus would be ok I guess). If I want an english movie I can rent it for 30 baht.

Do the Thai channels offer free satellite download? (for the wife).

Why not try one of the local cable TV companies?.....much cheaper. Usually, they offer BBC World, ABC Asia Pacific, Star World, DW TV (50% English language), HBO or Cinemax, Adventure 1 and others. Also there is also the usual raft of Thai channels.

Unless you actually bought the equipment from UBC, they will want it back.

As you mention a deposit, my guess is that you are renting??

In theory you are right, but will need a bigger dish and also the means to

steer it to different satellites.

I am not sure where Artisan lives, but most of the cable companies I know

of have had their international channels cut off, making them of little

interest to a farang.

The UBC equipment is of no use and very little value.

The Thai channels 3/5/7/9/11/ITV + others are all free from Thaicom 2&3 are on the C band.

Thail Outlook TV (The best English Thailand news channel) is to be found on NSS6 (Ku Band)

If you want free BBC News 24 and ABC it is available from Panamsat 8 or Panamsat 2 (also on the C band)

What you require is a moveable dish with either just a C band LNB or with an additional KU band LNB to take advantage of other free KU band Signals. Eg Euronews (which is in 7 different languages) + Thai Outlook TV

JSAT are expensive (they do provide English support however) and only really ideal for BKK or Pattaya users.

They will sell their equipment to you outside the areas but will not support you.

One option is to have a local PSI Sat sytem installed. - or a far better option- buy the hardware you desire (Not PSI Branded) and have a local installer set it up but tell them that the sytem must go down as low as PAS8 or even better PAS2 on the East Side.

Look at http://www.satthai.tv/INDEX_SAT.ASP - You will be able to put together a system the same as JSat for around 22k. - as opposed to @ 38k

You do not say where you live so the above also relates to anyone who lives outside BKK or Pattaya

If you have any questions just pm me

Edited by croftrobin