What Do You Think Of The Nikon J1?

I got rid of the GF3 as I wasn't too happy with results. With my next trip creeping closer (6 weeks) I am looking at a new camera.

To be honest I want something simple that produces good shots using auto mode. So I was looking at the Nikon j1. I've had a play with 1 in store and I Lor how quick it is to focus and navigate around the menu. It's on sale at the money with the j2 hitting stores so I wanted to gauge your opinions.

It's only a 1 inch sensor but it seems to produce as good pics as some of the Panasonic m4/3 cameras.

What do you think?

If you couldn't get good results from the GF3, not sure you will do any better with the Nikon. If you just want something simple to use on auto, do you really need an interchangeable lens camera? There are some very competent compact cameras on the market. Best of the bunch at the moment is probably the Sony RX100; a little pricey but receiving rave reviews.

The rx100 is way overpriced. I had also considered the Fuji XF1 which is a re branded x10 but that's not out yet. My gripe with the gf3 was too much noise in low light. Of all the m4/3 cameras Panasonic seem to be the least competent of the lot.

The rx100 is way overpriced. I had also considered the Fuji XF1 which is a re branded x10 but that's not out yet. My gripe with the gf3 was too much noise in low light. Of all the m4/3 cameras Panasonic seem to be the least competent of the lot.

sony nex range ... only draw back would be limited range of lenses available !!