I Advise My Sister, P M Yingluck, Because She's New, Thaksin Tells Forbes

webfact

“The best solution for the current political crisis is to amend the constitution to pave the way for political reform.”

“The only way out of the current crisis is to amend the Constitution.”

Abhisit Vejajiva

Do you have an original link to those quotes. I'd like to see the context.

Edit: Ahh ... I see the first quote was said in February 2006.

And the second quote was also said in February 2006. http://nationmultimedia.com/2006/02/26/politics/politics_20001598.php

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“The best solution for the current political crisis is to amend the constitution to pave the way for political reform.”

Abhisit Vejajiva

And the second quote was also said in February 2006. http://nationmultime...cs_20001598.php

Good article today in the other paper today on the extraordinary Yingluck phenonomen by Voranai, an articulate and longstanding opponent of Thaksin.My take is that Yingluck could be the saviour of the old order (that part which is in tune with the best of Thai traditions and virtues) but the motley bunch of fascists, reactionary military and unreconstructed throw backs should be afraid, very afraid.

• Like 1

Abhisit Vejajiva

And the second quote was also said in February 2006. http://nationmultime...cs_20001598.php

The irony is evident now though isn't it.

I was trying to find his quote about the death of PAD's Nong Bow, regarding the govt killing its own people but couldn't find it. Anyone got a link to that classic?

Abhisit Vejajiva

Good article today in the other paper today on the extraordinary Yingluck phenonomen by Voranai, an articulate and longstanding opponent of Thaksin.My take is that Yingluck could be the saviour of the old order (that part which is in tune with the best of Thai traditions and virtues) but the motley bunch of fascists, reactionary military and unreconstructed throw backs should be afraid, very afraid.

Isn't this where you go " Muahahahahahaha"?

extraordinary Yingluck phenonomen??

Easy with the gushing, you might have an accident.

The article says a lot about how Yingluck may well be the key to success for Thaksin, and a lot about how she may be dangerous for some groups, but precious little about how a PM who "doesn't debate because debating is not her forte", who "doesn't answer tough questions from journalists because she is unseasoned and inexperienced", is actually doing anything whatsoever for the country, besides helping to reconcile people who have been divided and go on being divided by her own family, and in particular her brother for whom she works.

Some people it seems are falling over themselves to be impressed by a PM who does nothing but smile nicely for the cameras.

Edited by rixalex
  • Like 2

The article says a lot about how Yingluck may well be the key to success for Thaksin, and a lot about how she may be dangerous for some groups, but precious little about how a PM who "doesn't debate because debating is not her forte", who "doesn't answer tough questions from journalists because she is unseasoned and inexperienced", is actually doing anything whatsoever for the country, besides helping to reconcile people who have been divided and go on being divided by her own family, and in particular her brother for whom she works.

Some people it seems are falling over themselves to be impressed by a PM who does nothing but smile nicely for the cameras.

Classic case of confirmation bias.He presumably thinks he has read Voranai's article properly but in practice cherry picks nuggets which show her in a poor light and thus misses the whole point of the article.Voranai notwithstanding his reservations does show why Yingluck is in the ascendant.

• Like 1

Classic case of confirmation bias.He presumably thinks he has read Voranai's article properly but in practice cherry picks nuggets which show her in a poor light and thus misses the whole point of the article.Voranai notwithstanding his reservations does show why Yingluck is in the ascendant.

May it be about what she might ascend to ?wai2.gif

I did read the entire article very carefully thanks. Please enlighten me as to what it is that the author felt the PM was capable of achieving and what makes her so extraordinary... because as i say, all i gleaned from it concerned what a potentially powerful weapon she is for Thaksin, how some certain groups have good cause to fear her, and how her not confronting any problems makes her... let me see... what is the right word?.... non confrontational perhaps?.... and this makes her well suited to reconciling the groups that her own brother has spent the last six years helping to divide.

Apologies for not falling to my feet in wonder at her actual achievements for the country... i'm afraid i'm still in the dark as to what precisely they are...

I am doing you the courtesy of assuming you are neither thick nor irretrievably prejudiced.Read the article more carefully again.What do you think Voranai is saying, why is he saying it and what are his main points? Jot them done on a postcard if you feel confused.

I am doing you the courtesy of assuming you are neither thick nor irretrievably prejudiced.Read the article more carefully again.What do you think Voranai is saying, why is he saying it and what are his main points? Jot them done on a postcard if you feel confused.

Listen, i am telling you what i gleaned from his article.... Yingluck has been underestimated... not for her skills... would be difficult to underestimate them... but for the power she possesses simply by not really doing anything, not really saying anything.. makes her a hard target to attack, particularly with that lovely smile of hers.

So OK, great, she can potentially provide the key for Thaksin to ferret his way back in. She can potentially make trouble for all those fascists we hate so much.. but at the same time, greasing wheels for a new bunch of undesirables... ok... at which point should i be dazzled?

• Like 1

Listen, i am telling you what i gleaned from his article.... Yingluck has been underestimated... not for her skills... would be difficult to underestimate them... but for the power she possesses simply by not really doing anything, not really saying anything.. makes her a hard target to attack, particularly with that lovely smile of hers.

So OK, great, she can potentially provide the key for Thaksin to ferret his way back in. She can potentially make trouble for all those fascists we hate so much.. but at the same time, greasing wheels for a new bunch of undesirables... ok... at which point should i be dazzled?

Frankly what you managed to glean or not glean is neither here nor there.The interesting aspect is why one of the country's most perceptive political commentators regards Yingluck as a phenomenon.

What a good family man benevolently helping out his sister with her complicated political decisions, we all have to be learning and be trained at sometime in our life, and for anyone learning all things new Thailand is the place to come to for advice and life preparation.

Frankly what you managed to glean or not glean is neither here nor there.

How can what i glean, what you glean, or what anyone else who reads this article gleans, be "neither here nor there"? Little point it being published if what people glean from it is of zero importance i'd say.

The interesting aspect is why one of the country's most perceptive political commentators regards Yingluck as a phenomenon.

In some senses she certainly is a phenomenon. She doesn't debate, she doesn't answer questions, she doesn't go to parliament, she doesn't do many of the usual things one thinks of as being primary duties of a leader, of a PM, she does a lot of nodding and smiling, plenty of waiing and shaking hands... and you know what, perhaps this is the way to go for future PMs... keep you head down well and truly below the parapet, and nobody can take your head off. Nothing much gets done by you, but you can preserve your own image and let all those around you take the risks involved in actually doing something.

A master-stroke for her, a master-stroke for our man in Dubai? Possibly yes. A master-stroke for the nation? I have my doubts...

• Like 2

at least i can say they both completely u-turned on what there intentions were.

this is where the bias comes you see.

it was quite a straightforward question rubl, if you wish to avoid it then that's fine by me. wai2.gif

So you can't tell the difference between a definitive statement said multiple times ("I AM quitting politics") and a statement of intention said after the fact ("When I resigned I had no intention of becoming leader again")?

so you can't see the similarity of them both completely u-turning on what there intentions were?

just because he said it 'after the fact' means that he didn't do a u-turn on quitting?

it was quite a straightforward question rubl, if you wish to avoid it then that's fine by me. wai2.gif

So you can't tell the difference between a definitive statement said multiple times ("I AM quitting politics") and a statement of intention said after the fact ("When I resigned I had no intention of becoming leader again")?

so you can't see the similarity of them both completely u-turning on what there intentions were?

just because he said it 'after the fact' means that he didn't do a u-turn on quitting?

He didn't say he was never going to become party leader again. He said it wasn't his plan.

• Like 1

He didn't say he was never going to become party leader again. He said it wasn't his plan.

biggrin.png ok, we'll leave it there then.

@nickymaster

why do you have to throw in the slur at the end? it's just childish and from now on i'm just going to report them instead of getting into spats with you.

i just get holidays for my troubles.

btw ye're all clearly just defending based on wordplay, he said if he got less than a certain number of seats he would review his performance, then he announced his resignation, then he proclaimed that when announcing his resignation he had no plans to come back.

you can translate that however which way you want but the fact remains he did a flip flop on his stated intentions.

I hope whybother doesn't mind I copy his text:

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 2

Yingluck is phenomenal.

But so was Lady Penelope.

@nickymaster

why do you have to throw in the slur at the end? it's just childish and from now on i'm just going to report them instead of getting into spats with you.

btw ye're all clearly just defending based on wordplay, he said if he got less than a certain number of seats he would review his performance, then he announced his resignation, then he proclaimed that when announcing his resignation he had no plans to come back.

you can translate that however which way you want but the fact remains he did a flip flop on his stated intentions.

and i'll repeat what i said "the fact remains he did a flip flop on his stated intentions."

a pretty big stated intention i might add.

the question whybother asked is just baiting and pointless.

i already said of thaksin on this straight out that he lied.

see this where that extreme bias coin that was mentioned lately comes into it.

not one one of ye will just say, yes abhisit did do a huge flip flop on a life changing decision for what his intentions were.

what's the argument here? he said he was stepping down, he admitted after the fact that he had intended for it to stay that way, but ye're argument is oh but he changed his mind - great.

ye ask me can i not tell the difference, i ask ye can ye not see the similarity?

you don't hear me saying, thaksin said he was quitting politics but he just changed his mind because he knew that his people wanted him to continue... that would be me being on that extreme bias coin too and thank buddha i'm not.

@nickymaster

and i'll repeat what i said "the fact remains he did a flip flop on his stated intentions."

the question whybother asked is just baiting and pointless.

i already said of thaksin on this straight out that he lied.

see this where that extreme bias coin that was mentioned lately comes into it.

not one one of ye will just say, yes abhisit did do a huge flip flop on a life changing decision for what his intentions were.

what's the argument here? he said he was stepping down, he admitted after the fact that he had intended for it to stay that way, but ye're argument is oh but he changed his mind - great.

ye ask me can i not tell the difference, i ask ye can ye not see the similarity?

you don't hear me saying, thaksin said he was quitting politics but he just changed his mind because he knew that his people wanted him to continue... that would be me being on that extreme bias coin too and thank buddha i'm not.

Yer yer yer what ever. Repeating it ad nauseam doesn't make it true, it just makes you look desperate.

Edited by waza
  • Like 1

Yer yer yer what ever. Repeating it ad nauseam doesn't make it true, it just makes you look desperate.

desperate? for someone here to actually admit that he flip flopped? yeah i guess you're right, i would have to be desperate to be expecting that, but i don't.

i don't know what you think is untrue in my post either, but that's ok.

anyway, i'll leave it at that, even if there are more baiting posts such as yours, getting anyone to admit or acknowledge anything whatsoever is like getting blood from a stone.

Edited by nurofiend

desperate? for someone here to actually admit that he flip flopped? yeah i guess you're right, i would have to be desperate to be expecting that, but i don't.

anyway, i'll leave it at that, even if there are more baiting posts such as yours, getting anyone to admit or acknowledge anything whatsoever is like getting blood from a stone.

"A "flip-flop" (used mostly in the United States), U-turn (used in the United Kingdom and Ireland), or backflip (used in Australia and New Zealand) is a sudden real or apparent change of policy or opinion by a public official, sometimes while trying to claim that both positions are consistent with each other. Often it will occur during the period prior to or following an election in order to maximize the candidate's popularity."

http://en.wikipedia....-flop_(politics)

So, Thaksin advising his sister is consistent with being through with politics, but Abhisit's 'not planned' is a flip-flop. I have to admit that understanding doesn't come easy wink.png

• Like 1

I like your new "red shirt terrorist" status!

The phrase "not intend to" or "have no plan to" is not equivalent to "never will" or "will not". The first two phrases leave open a possibility that it may still happen, whereas the last two phrases express definitely that it will not happen.

• Like 1

"A "flip-flop" (used mostly in the United States), U-turn (used in the United Kingdom and Ireland), or backflip (used in Australia and New Zealand) is a sudden real or apparent change of policy or opinion by a public official, sometimes while trying to claim that both positions are consistent with each other. Often it will occur during the period prior to or following an election in order to maximize the candidate's popularity."

http://en.wikipedia....-flop_(politics)

So, Thaksin advising his sister is consistent with being through with politics, but Abhisit's 'not planned' is a flip-flop. I have to admit that understanding doesn't come easy wink.png

if you actually read my posts you'll see i'm not defending thaksin at all.

I like your new "red shirt terrorist" status!

why thank you sir.