Red Bull Heir Finally Shows Up For Questioning: Bangkok

webfact

"But I will make your post relevant by saying the overwhelming vast majority of posters here, if found in a similar situation (under influence kill somebody while driving), would jump at the chance to pay off somebody to make everything go away, if they could afford to, regardless if it a legal pay off or not. Trying to say otherwise is being blatantly unrealistic."

Speak for yourself, man! You are NOT speaking for me!

Well that is 3 of us against 2 so I guess we are the Majority and it has blown Nisa's theory straight out the window.

Make that 4 against 2. Maybe Nisa could change her comment to something like "A couple of us would attempt to pay off victims and witnesses to make a crime go away."

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do know that once compensation is offered, accepted and paid, the victims family lose all rights to proceed with a claim for Civil damages through the Court & in most cases criminal prosecution ceases. I do not know for sure, but perhaps this is what NISA is alluding to. However, if a victims family refuses to accept a compensation offer & wishes to proceed to a Civil action, in parallel to the criminal case, a foreigner would have to post bail and would not be able to leave Thailand until legal proceeding are finalised, as a stop notice will be requested by the police for Immigration processing and the Embassy is informed so that a replacement passport is not issued.

I bet most foreigners, if they could, would take the easy way out and pay compensation; not "man up" and face jail time in Thailand.

Edited by simple1

In a situation like this there is both civil & criminal liability for which the police are only involved in the latter. You may well scoff but by law that is their responsibility although as we all know they do involve themselves in the civil aspect as mediators as they will generally take a cut. So, no matter what compensation has been paid to the family the police are still responsible to bring a criminal case if warranted. I am unsure if the family signs a document stating they wont bring criminal charges means the police cannot then recommend prosecution or if that is the end of it. Could be that in serious cases the police can still go ahead & press charges.

A good example is you hit some kid on a motorbike who has no licence, driving on the wrong side of the road, you can still be liable for civil charges & the kid can be liable for a criminal charge. They are two totally different issues.

Edited by Valentine

Well what a story, if any thais read this they know whats going on, again that old addage 'Money talks'. Lets not hope so in this case, its obvious why he delayed in going to make a statement, hes been checking out all his options with his so called 'elite' contacts and how much it will be to coverup the case. Already one senior pol officer was booted out of the way in the initial investigation, where's he gone ? on suspension pending disipline ?

Joining the ASEAN community will mean new rules, laws , where this type of case is dealt with by the laws of an international community, no longer living in the bubble.

Really can't wait to see all the improvements and changes it will bring ? lol.

Edited by Scott
: Font

I bet most foreigners, if they could, would take the easy way out and pay compensation; not "man up" and face jail time in Thailand.

I agree. Most anytime I've been in trouble, I'd do most anything I could to make the situation go away.

My concern is that the government should not allow people to remain on the lose who are a danger to society.

It would take a real moron to accept that bet because there is absolutely no doubt you are right.

It would take a real moron to accept that bet because there is absolutely no doubt you are right.

The moron so to speak would be a system that defers criminal prosecution to whether the criminal can pay everyone off satisfactorily.

Crimes are and should be brought on behalf the people, for the protection of the people and to create a consistent evenhanded system of justice not dependent upon wealth or ability to bribe.

Simple1 and NISA apparently assume that paying victims off may result in victims not pursuing criminal prosecution. A system functioning on that basis would be draconian and fraught with abuse.

The moronic question is whether a dude such as this or any other criminal would pay their way out of trouble provided the opportunity. Of course. Dude seems to care little about dragging a helpless person under his car so why should he have any moral dilemmas about bribing his way out of jail time.

Society shouldn't place the thugs, murders and criminals in the position of dictating whether they actually do jail time. This is so messed up it's even hard to articulate.

Edited by ttelise
  • Like 1

"But I will make your post relevant by saying the overwhelming vast majority of posters here, if found in a similar situation (under influence kill somebody while driving), would jump at the chance to pay off somebody to make everything go away, if they could afford to, regardless if it a legal pay off or not. Trying to say otherwise is being blatantly unrealistic."

Well the fact that of all the posters here only 4 disagreed says some thing.

The problem arises here because it is a accepted practice for Thais in Thailand and the only people that have a problem with it are the self righteous farongs.

Before you ask yes if I could make it go away with the money I have and can raise I would. But that is imposable as I will still feel the guilt but at least it will not be for years in a Thai Prison.

• Like 1

NISA -

So you are speaking for the majority on here are you? Just how many of us do you actually know outside of the computer? I guess you personally know the majority otherwise you would not be qualified to speak for the majority. Actually I think the majority, but not speaking for the majority know that in a civilised society that attempting to pay off victims to make things go away is an offence (Pervert the course of justice) Why don't you run a poll on here and ask the majority who would attempt to pay off victims to turn the other cheek. What you are saying is the mority of us have no principles, are corrupt and dishonest.

The problem is he should pay victims appropriate compensation and go to jail. Paying civil liability or ability should not circumvent prosecution for criminal liability or impact criminal punishment. That's just more f'ed crap that leads to uneven handed application of the law.

If you think it's that way in the states, you either watch too much TV or got you head up your backside. Rich white collar dudes are getting hammered for crimes every day in US for much less than what this dude did.

So NISA's question or poll is more malignant morally lacking rhetoric because society should not place one in the position of deciding that issue. Ability to pay off victims should not have any impact on whatsoever on punishment metted out.

Just ask O J Simpson

By the way ttelise thanks for reminding me that insurance companies will pay off very fast provided it is a reasonable figure. If either party finds it unacceptable then it goes in to the years category. What do you think a fair settlement here in Thailand would be for loss of a police officers life. If I remember right the age of the deceased would play a big part in it.

The problem arises here because it is a accepted practice for Thais in Thailand and the only people that have a problem with it are the self righteous farongs.

Before you ask yes if I could make it go away with the money I have and can raise I would. But that is imposable as I will still feel the guilt but at least it will not be for years in a Thai Prison.

Self righteous farangs has nothing to do with it. Some behaviors should be unacceptable farang or no farang.

Why even have criminal laws on the books then if not enforced, or worse only enforced against those without means to bribe there way out. It's a moral and ethical question without regard to issues of race or culture.

• Like 1

Self righteous?

Oh, yeah...why not come to Thailand and throw all ethics and morals you have learned overboard, just to better fit into paradise?!

If you, sir, will be willing to buy yourself out of every uncomfortable situation..so be it!

But don't you dare call me self righteous, because I feel that I will not!

• Like 2

Oh, lots of Thai's have problems with this, too. They only realize it too late.

Everyone thinks, it's fine, till they find out, that there is not enough money in the family pocket, to make it work for them.

And mostly that are the people, giving permission for the rich, by accepting 1 Million for the life of their kids/husband/wife, to get away with it.

The car, bought with this million, an accident like this and not be able, to pay a million to someones family themselves, will change the thinking to 'unfair' very quickly!

But not to 'unfair law', of course. only to 'unfair, I shall pay 1 Million, too. 100.000k would be adequate, because I'm not a millionaire.

Actually that's the reason, the police is trying to make it work, for everyone. But not all mothers selling there dead kid for only 100.000. oops, we have a court case. Or not every Farang can pay the 1 Million. oops, we have a court case, again.

Edited by noob7

Oh, lots of Thai's have problems with this, too. They only realize it too late.

Everyone thinks, it's fine, till they find out, that there is not enough money in the family pocket, to make it work for them.

And mostly that are the people, giving permission for the rich, by accepting 1 Million for the life of their kids/husband/wife, to get away with it.

The car, bought with this million, an accident like this and not be able, to pay a million to someones family themselves, will change the thinking to 'unfair' very quickly!

But not to 'unfair law', of course. only to 'unfair, I shall pay 1 Million, too. 100.000k would be adequate, because I'm not a millionaire.

Actually that's the reason, the police is trying to make it work, for everyone. But not all mothers selling there dead kid for only 100.000. oops, we have a court case. Or not every Farang can pay the 1 Million. oops, we have a court case, again.

Actually I believe the people willing to accept corruption is around 60%. Of the remaining 40% we don't know if 3,000,000 baht was dangled in there face what they would do.

Apparently the term self righteous bothers some people.

Maybe some one can come up with a better description for some one who will sit in a Thai jail for years rather than pay 1,000,000 baht to stay out of it I am of course talking about people with that kind of money. It could be 3,000,000 makes no difference what the ammount is as long as they have it. In this case it was 3,000,000 pocket money.

Edited by hellodolly

Self righteous?

Oh, yeah...why not come to Thailand and throw all ethics and morals you have learned overboard, just to better fit into paradise?!

If you, sir, will be willing to buy yourself out of every uncomfortable situation..so be it!

Being willing to do what you have to do to save your own skin from jail d doesn't reflect badly on any individual.

The point is that any legal system should not aid in facilitating this escape simply because you pay. Better to tax the rich at 75 percent if earning for access to this legal disney land.

• Like 2

Self righteous?

Being willing to do what you have to do to save your own skin from jail d doesn't reflect badly on any individual.

The point is that any legal system should not aid in facilitating this escape simply because you pay. Better to tax the rich at 75 percent if earning for access to this legal disney land.

I disagree with you on the willing to do what you have to do to stay out of jail. I say self righteous because of the attitude a lot of the posters take. Maybe self righteous is the wrong term. Hypocrite would be a better term for most of them. I am sure there would be some self righteous people who would rather do the 5 to 10 years in a Thai jail.

I completely agree with you that any legal system should not aid in facilitating this escape simply because you pay.

• Like 1

NISA -

So you are speaking for the majority on here are you? Just how many of us do you actually know outside of the computer? I guess you personally know the majority otherwise you would not be qualified to speak for the majority. Actually I think the majority, but not speaking for the majority know that in a civilised society that attempting to pay off victims to make things go away is an offence (Pervert the course of justice) Why don't you run a poll on here and ask the majority who would attempt to pay off victims to turn the other cheek. What you are saying is the mority of us have no principles, are corrupt and dishonest.

The problem is he should pay victims appropriate compensation and go to jail. Paying civil liability or ability should not circumvent prosecution for criminal liability or impact criminal punishment. That's just more f'ed crap that leads to uneven handed application of the law.

If you think it's that way in the states, you either watch too much TV or got you head up your backside. Rich white collar dudes are getting hammered for crimes every day in US for much less than what this dude did.

So NISA's question or poll is more malignant morally lacking rhetoric because society should not place one in the position of deciding that issue. Ability to pay off victims should not have any impact on whatsoever on punishment metted out.

Just ask O J Simpson

By the way ttelise thanks for reminding me that insurance companies will pay off very fast provided it is a reasonable figure. If either party finds it unacceptable then it goes in to the years category. What do you think a fair settlement here in Thailand would be for loss of a police officers life. If I remember right the age of the deceased would play a big part in it.

Nothing short of 50mil (AUD) or around 1.6 Billion baht, nothing is going to ease the pain and suffering the family have for the rest of thier lives.

NISA -

Just ask O J Simpson

Haha, OJ not even close to reality of our legal system. You have to also realize the racial dynamics in LA during that time frame with Police Chief and racist investigators. The media frenzy and jurors look for a book deal. The other anomaly was Casey Anthony. These trial get publicized, jurors start thinking book deal and crazy things happen. Also, things become so publicized it becomes difficult to find a jury that has not been tainted by media reports so you get a lot of jurors who want to be on the jury for perhaps other reasons saying not heard media and opinions about case.

NISA -

Just ask O J Simpson

Nothing short of 50mil (AUD) or around 1.6 Billion baht, nothing is going to ease the pain and suffering the family have for the rest of thier lives.

why not 100 million (USD) or 200 million (€UR)?

NISA -

Just ask O J Simpson

Simpson may have gotten off in the criminal trial, but the people wouldn't stand for it. The civil lawsuit took EVERYTHING from him, causing him to end up in the position he is in now. PRISON.

If the same thing happened to the red bull heir, justice would be served.

However, the people in Thailand WILL put up with the judicial corruption and nonsense, therefore he will likely get off.

Wake up Thai people and don't stand for this garbage. However, I think you will.sad.png

• 4 weeks later...

Are you sure about that? You're looking at this through farang eyes, as are most. Morality aside, the Thais' regard for life is not the same. When you are brought up to believe that reincarnation is a dead-cert (that loved ones will reappear elsewhere), and is the road to eventual enlightenment, you would doubtless see things in a different light. Which is not to say the perp is any less guilty--he should be strung up--but often families of people killed in accidents will see it as the perp having paid his/her dues through money and an apology.

Are you sure about that? You're looking at this through farang eyes, as are most. Morality aside, the Thais' regard for life is not the same. When you are brought up to believe that reincarnation is a dead-cert (that loved ones will reappear elsewhere), and is the road to eventual enlightenment, you would doubtless see things in a different light. Which is not to say the perp is any less guilty--he should be strung up--but often families of people killed in accidents will see it as the perp having paid his/her dues through money and an apology.

Civil settlements are not meant to have any influence on a crimminal charge. This is the fault of the system. Apologising to the victim is all very well and good, but at the end of the day, someone BROKE THE LAW. This is the nub of all the problems in the country. It essentially guarantees one rule for one and one rule for another and I have little doubt that one day that country will explode over this exact issue.

Civil settlements are not meant to have any influence on a crimminal charge. This is the fault of the system. Apologising to the victim is all very well and good, but at the end of the day, someone BROKE THE LAW. This is the nub of all the problems in the country. It essentially guarantees one rule for one and one rule for another and I have little doubt that one day that country will explode over this exact issue.

Exactly!

I think the court being involved in such compensation was proposed to keep liability settlements in line. But, it was ot meant as a means to buy one's way out off criminal charges.

The police are to blame first, and the media second. Where are the investigative reporters? Oh thats right this is the land of "dont step on the puyais toes". What about the police chief who declared he would step down if they didn't bring the perpetrator to justice?