Foreign Investors Begin To Worry About Political Woes

george

Foreign investors begin to worry about political woes, says minister

CHIANG MAI: -- Transport Minister Pongsak Raktapongpaisal on Tuesday conceded that foreign investors had begun to worry about political woes and enquired about the situation.

He said many foreign investors had gradually set up their representative offices in Thailand since there would be periodical presentations of information on joint ventures in mega-infrastructure projects this month.

A process of selecting investors in construction of many projects will begin on February 28.

He admitted foreign investors had enquired about the current political situation because they are rather concerned about the situation and want to closely monitor it.

However, they would go ahead with a plan to co-invest in the mega-projects, he said.

“I cannot guess how much foreign investors worry about the political woes. However, I believe they understand the political situation and history of our country," he told journalists.

“The government has tried to clarify to give them proper understanding, but feels unsure whether they would believe. Investment in mega-projects requires long-term obligations. So, investors want the government’s promise before deciding to invest,” the minister said.

--TNA 2006-02-07

I can imagine having an MBA in international finance. My boss, who has a spare 8 billion dollars or euros or ruples or pounds to invest, sends me to Bangkok. I see the smoke and the mirrors. I read that Thailand doesn't let foreigners do certain things, many things. I read the number of times there have been military coups. I see where Thailand ranks among world universities and corruption ratings. I read last week's speculation that the Prime Minister is being asked to step down. I read.........and I tell the boss, "Let's try a transparent country."

I can imagine having an MBA in international finance. My boss, who has a spare 8 billion dollars or euros or ruples or pounds to invest, sends me to Bangkok. I see the smoke and the mirrors. I read that Thailand doesn't let foreigners do certain things, many things. I read the number of times there have been military coups. I see where Thailand ranks among world universities and corruption ratings. I read last week's speculation that the Prime Minister is being asked to step down. I read.........and I tell the boss, "Let's try a transparent country."

Couldn't have said it better myself. :o