Any Silver Investers Out There

A lot has been talked about recently with regard to Gold. I was wondering about TV members thoughts on Silver. Are there any serious Silver investers out there. If so ETF, physical, companies like bullionvault. Personally I like Silver as a long term investment as a hedge against inflation. 32 usd seems like a no brainer to me. What do you think?

I have some small positions in Silver. I find it volatile and difficult to predict. I use SLVR:LN and SLV:US for core holdings. (1 x ETF).

I use AGQ:US (2 x ETF) when I think it looks cheap, short term. I just added some more AGQ when silver was around 31.3. Reason was for trading rather than longer term investment.

During the year I've been buying around early 30's and selling when it hits 33-34, including some nervous times when it dropped below 30.

That it's dropped over 2% since you thought it was "cheap" an hour ago, highlights the volatility :)

I have some small positions in Silver. I find it volatile and difficult to predict. I use SLVR:LN and SLV:US for core holdings. (1 x ETF).

I use AGQ:US (2 x ETF) when I think it looks cheap, short term. I just added some more AGQ when silver was around 31.3. Reason was for trading rather than longer term investment.

During the year I've been buying around early 30's and selling when it hits 33-34, including some nervous times when it dropped below 30.

That it's dropped over 2% since you thought it was "cheap" an hour ago, highlights the volatility smile.png

Thanks for the input. Yes I agree with the volatility. I am in it for the long haul so these fluctuations should not effect me.

I agree with the various comments given.

I would only use SLV for trading purpose and certainly not as a core holding and I believe SIVR(US) is a better alternative.

Physical ownership is always best but nigh on impossible in Thailand and unlike gold, silver attracts VAT if you buy in or import to Europe. The likes of Goldmoney are a good alternative.

I would only use SLV for trading purpose and certainly not as a core holding and I believe SIVR(US) is a better alternative.

Physical ownership is always best but nigh on impossible in Thailand and unlike gold, silver attracts VAT if you buy in or import to Europe. The likes of Goldmoney are a good alternative.

Yes like for like I prefer SLVR:US to SLV:LN too as the spreads are smaller. The reason for using both though is trading hours:

- SLVR:US is less convenient as US trading hours are 8:30 or 9:30 pm onwards depending on whether summer time or not until the early hours of the morning if you are in Thailand. The UK hours correspond to 2:00pm-10:30pm or 3pm:11:30pm Thailand time

- Also it's useful to have some in both. The problem with the ETFs are that silver carries on trading when the market for the ETF may be closed, so if you use only SLVR you could miss opportunities or get caught when the market moves against you. Given the volatility of silver both come in useful

:)

I use Goldmoney myself and have been very happy with the service.

Silver has long been a hedge against inflation and should be in everyone's portfolio, nothing wrong with silver , I'm keen on it, have been for along time.

indeed nothing wrong with Silver. that is... if you haven't bought silver end of april last year @ $48/ounce.

Silver was also no hedge against inflation in those 180 years from 1792 till 1972.

ag792-999.gif

• Like 1

Bought silver OS and offloaded just short of its peak, bought back in again and will hold until the price is right. Gold we just accumulate and aren't planning to sell. Problem with ETFs is that there is supposedly a lot more paper than metal, that has the potential to get pretty ugly. Also made money in silver ETFs before but don't like to hold them for long.

Also as everything now in bullion, if the market did stagnate for a long time not really that bothered. Very true comments about silver votality. As the Klingon chart shows prices started to spike after Nixon dumped the gold standard, I assume a correlation. One problem with silver bullion, as so much cheaper than gold if spending a bit that equals a lot of big heavy bars. Gold easier to tuck away.

Silver has long been a hedge against inflation and should be in everyone's portfolio, nothing wrong with silver , I'm keen on it, have been for along time.

indeed nothing wrong with Silver. that is... if you haven't bought silver end of april last year @ $48/ounce.

Silver was also no hedge against inflation in those 180 years from 1792 till 1972.

ag792-999.gif

The Klingon certainly knows how to go back a long way. Were Klingons about in 1792?

That it's dropped over 2% since you thought it was "cheap" an hour ago, highlights the volatility smile.png

Not really sure why Silver spiked today. Seemed like a nice opportunity to sell off the extra AGQ I added though. Nice little return of about 5% due to the 2x leverage.

AGQ is much more suited to short term trades than either SLV and SLVR, given the leverage and that fact it increases or decreases 2x the daily movements. Because it is based on daily movt x2 rather than holding period movt of silver x2, you start to lose value over time if it moves up and down in a volatile way rather than compounding the gains or losses if it constantly moves in a single direction.

:)

ag792-999.gif

Remember the Silver kings that cornered the market , the darlings of the rich, then bang went the scam, they're still doing time,Price went up around $50, if you bought gold back in 1975/85 you are in negative territory at today's prices , sell high buy low, rotate ,gold now is only for Soros and institutions, unless it climbs to three grand.