International Driving Permit

aiir

hi all

I have just returned to the uk and was wondering wheter i can get an IDP in the uk?

I have a valid thai driving licence but only hold a provisional licence in the UK!!!

What is my best option so i can legally drive in the UK?

thanks in advance

You can't legally drive in the UK on a Thai driver's license, you will need the international translation and that should have been picked up in Thailand before you left.

You could of course take a UK driver's test....

On a provisional U.K. licence you cannot drive a car alone. You may drive a motorcycle up to a capacity of 124 cc but pass your motorcycle test within one year.

A provisional licence will not allow you permission for an IDP.

Do NOT try to get round this as it invalidates any insurance that you may hold and motor vehicle insurance is mandatory in the U.K.

If you lie to an insurance company and you get caught you are in deep, deep, shit.

I had this argument with lots of Chinese in the U.K. - but, sooner or later you will get caught.

Just book a date for a driving test!.

Then drive peacefully and at ease................ :o

From DRIVING IN GREAT BRITAIN (GB) AS A VISITOR OR A NEW RESIDENT

5. All other countries

Visitors

You may drive vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes and with up to 8 passenger seats, provided your full licence or driving permit remains valid for up to 12 months from the date of entering the United Kingdom. However, you may only drive large vehicles which have been registered outside GB and which you have driven into the country.

Residents

Ordinary licence holders

Provided your full licence remains valid, you can drive any category of small vehicle shown on your licence for up to 12 months from the time you became resident. To ensure continuous driving entitlement a provisional GB licence must have been obtained and a driving test(s) passed before the 12 month period elapses. If you obtain a provisional licence during this period, you are not subject to provisional licence conditions e.g. displaying `L' plates or being supervised by a qualified driver or being precluded from motorways.

However, if you do not pass a test within the 12 month concessionary period you will not be allowed to drive as a full licence holder and provisional licence conditions will apply.

If you do not apply for a provisional licence within the first 12 months you must stop driving and obtain a British provisional licence with a view to passing a driving test. Provisional licence conditions will then apply.

I assume that you are in the UK as a resident. As you can see, this means that you can drive with your Thai licence for a maximum of 12 months from your first date of entry as a resident, regardless of when you obtained your Thai licence. Obtaining an IDP does not change this, and if you are still driving unaccompanied after this 12 month period without having first passed the GB theory and practical tests, then you would be driving illegally.

The above applies to Great Britain, i.e. England, Scotland and Wales. The rules in Northern Ireland are very similar, and can be found here.

However, the rules for the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands vary, e.g. on the Isle of Man non-EU/EEA licence holders can only drive for up to 3 months, so if you are resident on the Isle of Man or in the Channel Islands then you should check with the authority that issued you with your UK provisional licence.

Edited by GU22