So What Did We Learn From Issarn Farmers Meeting No.6

irrigator

As a personal plea, I would refer back to post #20 where the OP, Irrigator asked that this topic be closed, and then opened a new topic looking for the host for meeting #7. Please, let this fade into oblivion.

I as the first host, and one of those whose financial survival depends on our farm, treat these meetings very seriously. I am also a man that lives remotely, enjoys a beer and works hard at what I do. To me, none of these meetings has been "just a piss up". Each of us take what we went to the meeting for, be that knowledge from the host's activities or just the chance to relax with others attempting the near impossible of making a living, or even just some return on investment farming in Thailand.

Please don't cheapen those efforts.

I have been away from Farming in Thailand for quite a while. I have been an absentee farmer for 2 years now and it is not working out really well. We recently decided to buy more land, a tractor and do our own management and work that we are able to do. I have not been to one of these IFM's but I would take them quite seriously as well. I have never been a farmer, know nothing about farming and and have made several decisions over the last couple of years that leave me dependent on farming..HAHAHAHA.... I would look forward to the next one. I would host one when I was in a better position to do so. Shit, we haven't even moved to Isaan from Chiang Mai yet. I have been staying in a rented room about 30 km from our land and going out clearing, ploughing and planting the new piece. We just finished it and got back to Chiang Mai to try to clean things up here and think about selling our home here. I would've gone to #6 if I had time. My comment about it seeming like a piss up was out of line, but it did seem like that from the OP's original post and several following. Personally, I would like the opportunity to meet some of you guys, pick some brains and have a few laughs.

Anyone want a nice property in Chiang Mai?

Canada,

You and I are in the same position. The public FACE is bullshit. Life here is tough. You have lightened my load, thanks. If your Chiang Mai property has absolutely no connection to my wifes family I would be interested if I had an arse in my trousers.

For now, thanks for the bomb defusing comments.

• 5 weeks later...

I think many have lost the plot on the idea of the farmers meeting was it not just a group of people going to diffrent farms getting to know each other and exchange a few idea's, and meet people the few i have been to at bergens and fergus place was great every one enjoyed themselves chiiped in for the beer and drinks and pom and i made some good friends, so to me the farmers meet are great so people should never complain just enjoy, pom and I would attend more but we are at presant in sunny scunthorpe in the UK freezing to bloody death,

hope you all enjoy number 7 and leave the bitching to the women

• Like 1

I think many have lost the plot on the idea of the farmers meeting was it not just a group of people going to diffrent farms getting to know each other and exchange a few idea's, and meet people the few i have been to at bergens and fergus place was great every one enjoyed themselves chiiped in for the beer and drinks and pom and i made some good friends, so to me the farmers meet are great so people should never complain just enjoy, pom and I would attend more but we are at presant in sunny scunthorpe in the UK freezing to bloody death,

hope you all enjoy number 7 and leave the bitching to the women

Maybe they should call it something different....Isaan Farmers Bbq and Get to Know You.

"Meeting" is sort of misleading.

There is one thing that we should defuse and that is, it is not just Isaan, it is Thailand. Distance is a large divide so maybe we should be more regionally focused. For me, easy, get to know more of my follow expats, farmer or bar fly matters not, interesting person is who I want to talk to.