What Small Bike Should I Get?

BuffaloRescue

Hi

Ive been out of TL for a few years now and moving back

What small bike should i get?

There seems to be heaps of pretty similar bikes out there, waves and similar from different brands.

What about small dirt bike around 200 cc? I hear there is a cbr 200 made in thailand now, are there any 200cc dirt bikes available made or available in thailand for reasonable price with all the legit green book paperwork etc? Not some imported stuff from parts.

Otherwise maybe scooters. Just wondering whats good value wise. Id probably buy new but not necessarily

Thanks

This is a how-long-is-a piece-of-string question.

If you want real advise you'll have to be more specific on your riding requirements. Touring, offroad, shopping, popping down to 7-11 for a few beers, carrying passengers etc.

Why because some bikes cannot easily carry shopping bags, some are useless on the hwy, etc.

Best to wait until you get here and go a look around a dealrship, yes good dirt bike for 100,000 down to pcx, nouvo etc. All you will get is people choices. Mine at the moment is the PCX 150 before that a Suzuki Hayate, i changed because i wanted tubless tyres and less punctures.

Another way is to buy both a scooter & a chopper,

PCX could fairly well cover both uses, but i'd guess would be as lethal as any other

small MC if you get a flat on front tire at >30 km/h.

Entirely agree with @VocalNiel tho, you need to explain why you consider a dirt bike etc,

what do you intend to use it for ?

ed: wow ! the wheels look really sturdy on that Zoomer

Edited by poanoi

Zoomer X 60,000 THB

Zoomer-X.jpg

+1 As a general soi/shopping/errand runabout the Zoomer-X would be my choice. NB it does not have secure storage under the seat.

That's an old concept image. The showroom version isn't quite so breathtaking. Not sure breathtaking is the right word though??? Maybe interesting?

You'd be surprised the versatility of one of those scooters. Even Honda Airblades with those stubby little wheels do surprisingly well going off into the field when visiting the farm.

I know that the PCX is a huge favourite around here. I just can't get into it. Not sure whether it's because the family has the 125cc version and that doesn't stir the loins, or if it's that nasty hump in the seat in all the wrong place or what. I do know the brakes are fabulous on it...but I'd hate for the idle stop circuit to; well stop stopping at a stop light and leave me looking like a dolt so I've disabled it everytime I've ever ridden the bike.

I'd agree that the Zoomer-X seems the bike to get right now; doesn't look any smaller than a Fino and there's loads of farangs riding those around (even though they look like a bear on a tricycle) and they seem to do well enough.

Going with a dirtbike offers interesting options. You're usually up higher than the rest of the traffic and for the most part they seem to have a bit more power than most other bikes you'll encounter on a daily basis. But they're also more work in the city as when you're not shifting you're clutching unless you ride in a stupid low gear that wastes fuel and increases engine temperatures in traffic due to the higher RPM. Both Honda and Kawasaki offer 250cc bikes at very good rates with the Honda being a bit cheaper. However Kawi also offers the D-Tracker which may be a bit more civilised.

I'm sure that Richard will chime in and give advice on the Chinese bikes available here as he is somewhat our local 'expert' on those. I'm a bit snobbish and prefer Honda, but do realise that there are some gems out there.

If you are planning on this bike to be your primary mode of transportation make sure you look at how you can carry stuff on it. A Givi box is a huge plus. I've not had a bike that has one installed but I've availed fellow riders to allow me to utilise theirs (thanks billd!). Scooters have underseat storage along with bag hooks or places to hold bags between your feet. Tiger has their Retro that can be bought a sidecar and I know at least one boardmember that used it for his business.

Hi

Well actually was thinking of a scooter. Its just for going around town really. But then i thought maybe a small dirt bike, if its got electric start. I might want to go off on a little adventure from time to time. I dont like that offroad scooter thing above looks like a kids bike. PCX - dont really like that its just an oversized moped if going to get a moped/scooter why not a click or similar. PCX just looks too big for its engine etc and i dont like the seat or faring also.

Can anyone give me a heads up on cheap new dirt bikes in thailand with electric start?

Well, the choice is limited: Kawasaki has got the KLX or D tracker ( motard version) around 155.000 baht (both 250 cc) and 125cc/150cc versions of both of them ( but those last 2 are a bit to small for most of us farangs)

Honda has got the CR250F around 120.000/130.000 baht.

Kawasaki and Honda are both excellent top quality bikes, at a reasonable price, they will serve you well for many many years and keep there value.

For pratical use ( shopping) i recommned to fit a luggage rack.

There are also lots of cheap Chinese dirtbikes around,with various levels of quality.

A friend of mine has got a Lifan Cross 200 ( with electric start around 45.000 baht)and that bike has been more or less trouble free for 6000 km.

can't think of anything more, ( i wish there was more choice from the big 4)