Renewal Of Edt Visa - Just Get A New One?

I am staying in thailand with a ED Visa (1 year), that would require a previous procedure (request at immigration) if I am leaving the country and don't want to lose it.

The ED visa expires this month (but my stamp is valid until february 2013), and I am visting my family for this christmas.

My hypotheses are:

1- I don't go inform immigration about this trip, and in my while homecountry I just go to the thai embassy and get a new ED visa.

2- I go to the immigration office to inform about my requirement for one re-entry, although my visa will be expired by the time i come back.

3- I renew my ED visa in thailand before it expires (is it possible?) so I don't need to apply again while in my homecountry.

Thanks

Correction: in the title i meant ED visa, not Edt

Edited by FarangFB

1. possible, but will need paperwork from the school.

2. If your permission to stay is valid till feb. 2013, you will have to return before that date in order to extend your stay in Thailand with paperwork from the school. otherwise you will need to get a new ED-visa.

3. You can "renew your ED-visa" before it expires (= applying for an extension of stay), normally you can do that up to 30 days early, but with a good reason it is allowd earlier. However, you will need paperwork from the school and the requirement is that you study at least 4 hours a week on average. A long vacation might look strange.

• Like 1

3. You can "renew your ED-visa" before it expires (= applying for an extension of stay), normally you can do that up to 30 days early, but with a good reason it is allowd earlier. However, you will need paperwork from the school and the requirement is that you study at least 4 hours a week on average. A long vacation might look strange.

Thanks for the answers, this 3rd option seems to be the best one among the choices you gave.

The requirements are fine, I am taking a full-time graduation course. Do you think that with the proper papers from them I can apply for another year of ED before leaving Thailand?

You can always try it and i suspect for a full time university coure there will be less questions than for a language course.

Apply as late as you can, the closer to the official date the better and take proof of your travel (print the e-ticket) with you.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks everybody for helping, here is the outcome of my situation:

The Thai consulate in my country told me to make a new visa from the start. The university told me that it was possible to renew my visa at immigration with the paperwork.

So I tried this out and I got a stamp for one more year in Thailand, on top of the where my previous visa expired (so, until feb/2014). I also paid 1000B for a single re-entry permit, so I could fly to my home country without losing my ed visa.