Fantastic Trees Here In Thailand

Modem

If you've traveled around Thailand for a bit, it's almost certain that you'll have come across some amazing trees.

Here are a few:

1. At the top of Doi Suthep in Chiang Mai is a "cluster" (is that the right word?) of Tasmanian Eucalyptus trees. Often shrouded in fog, these trees are majestic in the extreme.

2. The tallest teak tree in the world can be found at TON SAK YAI in Utharadit province. The word "Mai Sak" means teak (or teak wood); "Sak yai" means big teak tree. Google "TON SAK YAI" and you'll see some great examples of Thailand's few remaining giant teak trees.

3. That lovely Rain Tree (with those beautiful orange/red flowers) in the grounds of the American Ambassador's residence in Bangkok.

Any more?

The ribbon-decorated bodhi trees

Banyans, of course this one

And all the ones bearing such an incredible variety of wonderful fruit.

Thanks Johnny!

This is of course a classic:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jEi9GySH6P0/TwfUs10ulqI/AAAAAAAAA0k/esVZJ7dAkfk/s1600/DSCF1623.JPG

This one is beautiful:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nobythai/5694564827/lightbox/

And this .... where?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sCQNKjTlzN8/TtmiSnu1tuI/AAAAAAAACeg/MFcS5H0GyaQ/s1600/Big%2Bbohdi%2Btree.JPG

Thanks again, Johnny.

Got to agree, there are some beautiful trees there. Here are two...the first was in the grounds of the Nakhon Garden Hotel in Nakhon Si Thammarat, reading under the trees and looking up at the patterns made by the leaves was very relaxing.

The second was Doi Suthep, CM.

But I still love the autumn colours in Scotland! (see next two).

Sorry....not trying to go off-topic or hijack thread! wai.gif

Edited by Rob8891

Wonderful thread. When one is in Patong alll that one sees are "cement" trees. Looking out to the hills one sees a sick canopy.The drive to the airport gets you rubber trees Those that stay in the congested urban areas miss out on much of Thailand's beauty. (That's going to change for me as I will be going to be visiting Issan and the Hua Hin/Cha-Am areas where there is still some beauty to behold. I am not much of home and gardens guy, but I'm going to try and make it up to the flower show in CM this year to at least see some of the exhibits that are described as fantastic.

My street,

post-60794-0-68565000-1352121897_thumb.j

When I read this thread, I thought how pleasant the greenery was here, I was thinking about how, in Bangkok, a restaurant will surround itself with a mosquito pond, while here in KL there are little groves of trees outside the pubs where you can park and get your car attractively spotted.

The photo is looking down towards the Reef, by the way; it's a bit of a dive, but the friendliest pub in this little quarter

SC

Someone who seemed pretty knowledgeable on the subject once told me that East Asia has a diversity of fauna simply unmatched by any other part of the world. That person also told me that there is a world authority on trees (an American) who lives in Chiang Mai. I wonder if he can be found at CMU?

One of my favorite trees is the Langerstroemia (Tabaek or Inthanin in Thai). Beautiful lavender to pink colored blossoms. Another is the Cassia fistula (Ton Koon). Only problem with this tree is that its trunk is often attacked by hideous worms.

How about the avenue of Dipterocarp trees along the old Chiang Mai-Lamphun road? Not well looked after with adverts nailed to their trunks etc. but with a bit of effort I think it could be a quite stunning route.