Brain-Tingling Floral Aroma

JohnLocke

For several years now my wife and I have debated what exactly this very strong floral smell is. I suppose it is seasonal, though I don't remember if autumn is always the season we encounter it. The smell is so powerful that it's hard to believe it's natural. However, this powerful pungency is unevenly distributed in various corners of the city, so, my original theory that it was hundreds of gallons of "toilet cleaner" being dumped into the moat is not likely to be correct.

Is it a flower, or some chemical attempt to make our usually dusty / foul air pretty?

There are some jasmine trees (dok jampee) in bloom right now, and they're fragrant, but I'm betting the one being noticed most is a different one. Planted all around the moat and throughout the city, you'll find gangao trees. The smell is charming, sharp, and a bit peppery if you pay attention. I used to live in a house with one right in the front, and it was actually nauseating it was so intense. As the flowers age, they also get a bit of waxy smell to them that really makes it a bit much to handle. The gangaos are all around and their perfume is really noticeable at night. I've noticed it on ChangKlan and all around the moat this year so far. Jasmine alot less.

We see these trees around all the time but don't really notice them as they're quite straight, tall, and uninteresting most of the year. Have a google at this:

กันเกรา Thai name, มันปลา Lanna name, Fagraea fragrans Roxb.

• Like 1

There are some jasmine trees (dok jampee) in bloom right now, and they're fragrant, but I'm betting the one being noticed most is a different one. Planted all around the moat and throughout the city, you'll find gangao trees. The smell is charming, sharp, and a bit peppery if you pay attention. I used to live in a house with one right in the front, and it was actually nauseating it was so intense. As the flowers age, they also get a bit of waxy smell to them that really makes it a bit much to handle. The gangaos are all around and their perfume is really noticeable at night. I've noticed it on ChangKlan and all around the moat this year so far. Jasmine alot less.

We see these trees around all the time but don't really notice them as they're quite straight, tall, and uninteresting most of the year. Have a google at this:

กันเกรา Thai name, มันปลา Lanna name, Fagraea fragrans Roxb.

Much obliged realthaideal - I'm going to go with your supposition of what it is. Since you mentioned that it can almost be nauseating - I find it so as well (that's why we thought it was an industrial chemical smell - it hardly seems natural).

Thanks for all the information!

Very strong, good smell just now also this one: http://www.google.de...29,r:1,s:0,i:72

"Ton Sataban" or "Ton Tihn Ped" (Duck feet tree). That strong that some people get a headache or nausea, too.

Ah, just saw it's the same (Alstonia scholaris R. Br.) mentioned the post before. Sorry.

Yes my wife also called it Duck Feet Tree

She also said their is a raging debate in Thai on pantip dot com

Many Thai's want the trees out due to headaches etc.

While of course others want them to stay :)

Very strong, good smell just now also this one: http://www.google.de...29,r:1,s:0,i:72

"Ton Sataban" or "Ton Tihn Ped" (Duck feet tree). That strong that some people get a headache or nausea, too.

Ah, just saw it's the same (Alstonia scholaris R. Br.) mentioned the post before. Sorry.

Yes my wife also called it Duck Feet Tree

She also said their is a raging debate in Thai on pantip dot com

Many Thai's want the trees out due to headaches etc.

While of course others want them to stay smile.png

Many Thais tend to get a headache very easily, often even by thinking ...wink.png

Our duck feet tree stands in a far corner of the garden, so the smell is not too strong in the living aerea, and we love it.