New Requirement For Farang Bike Ownership

ClareQuilty

You're renting?

Then you take your rental contract to who ever wants to feel an inch bigger than day.

I'm renting in Thailand - do they even have 'rental contracts'? I just moved in and pay, there is no paperwork or contract. Never have had in previous residences either.

Guys, here's an update - there is nothing wrong with the dealership I use - it is the biggest Honda dealer in the town, so that's not it.

However, as it turns out the government office was looking for a 'confirmation of address', not a confirmation of employment - but they couldn't explain it or thought that I could get such a confirmation of address from my employer (who of course known nothing about my personal address).

I have never, in all the years I've lived in Thailand, gotten a 'confirmation of address' - is that the 'tabien ban'? How would I get such a thing?

This is how I got my tha biian baan (yellow house book). Go to your embassy withy proof of your address such as electricity, water bill etc., addressed to you and also proof of income. Get embassy to authenticate them with stamped documents (UK embassy rips off it`s citizens with extortionate charge). Go to gon sun thai, Chang Wattana for me, and take your passport and copies of visa pages, extensions, arrival card, photo page and also your proof of address and income documents from embassy with official Thai translation of documents - can get that done by company at gon sun thai. It won`t be completed the same day and the cheapest option is to go back a week later rather than pay more for the next day express service. When you have the documents back from the gon sun thai go to your local tee wah gan amphur with a couple of local Thai witnesses - I went with a girl who is a friend and neighbour and as extra back up, I`ve no doubt you already know how awkward Thai officialdon can be smile.png , also took along an old boy who happens to be our local councillor and brother of our gardener; this old boy also wrote a letter confirming my address. Hand over your documents and copies of passport and it`s contents and within a month you will receive your Yellow House Book. This was for Nonthaburi province and I went through the same procedure when I lived in Bangkok. Other provinces may differ as they tend to make up their own rules.

Glad you got the bike fixed thumbsup.gif . Sounds like you had a problem with the centrifugal clutch, or maybe it was the kickstart pawl. Ride safe.

You can get the confirmation of address from Thai Immigration. It's a routine document, costs B200 in Pattaya/Jomtien (no receipt).

What's funny is that you can just submit a copy of your Thai driver's license, front and back, to get the confirmation. It's a circular process that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Otherwise, a utility bill or some other bill or statement addressed to you will do, for Immigration.

I've done this a few times and never needed to fool around with an Embassy.

You can get the confirmation of address from Thai Immigration. It's a routine document, costs B200 in Pattaya/Jomtien (no receipt).

What's funny is that you can just submit a copy of your Thai driver's license, front and back, to get the confirmation. It's a circular process that doesn't make a lot of sense.

Otherwise, a utility bill or some other bill or statement addressed to you will do, for Immigration.

I've done this a few times and never needed to fool around with an Embassy.

Not all immigration offices will give a confirmation of address. Nonthaburi immigration have a new manager who has instructed his staff NOT to issue farang with these, in which case the embassy is the only place to go for the unfortunate (myself included) who need a confirmation letter.

But guys, how could I have any utility bill in my name without a 'green book' or tabien bahn or whatever they call it? All my utilities are of course in my landlord's name - as a foreigner I can't have anything in my name.

Its a catch-22 = can't get utilities, cable, etc, in your name without a tabien bahn, and can't get a tabien bahn without proof of address.

I have nothing to show either immigration or embassy to 'prove' my address.

I do have a Thai 6 year driver license with an address on it (I totally forget which address), so I guess I could try that, but the bike shop told me 'no, they won't accept that'.

As for the suggestion that I show them the address in my work permit, no, they won't accept that - (they already have full copies of my work permit, apparently that isn't enough).

Surely when you signed a contract for place of residence then it has your name on it?

If they didn't give you a copy of the rental contract then ask for one.

I've rented many times in Thailand, but never had a written contract. Just pay the deposit and move in.

Don't forget rule #1 for visiting the Department of Land Transportation in Maha Sarakham: Don't p*ss off the dragon lady working at counter #2!

Telltale signs that you have p*ssed off the dragon lady include her:

• Hissing, spitting, and assorted threatening mannerisms

• Demanding you to sign the copies you have handed over in some specific way, even if they are already signed

• Unintelligible muttering in a scary show of bureaucratic insanity

• Demanding copies of something you forgot to make copies of

• Five-minute somtam break in the middle of processing your papers

• Perusing the latest skin whitening cream's Facebook fan page on her work terminal

• Demanding copies of something you forgot at home

• Silently challenging you to protest her talking on the phone while scribbling on your papers

• Quick session of Bejeweled on her hi-so iPad as she "waits for a printout"

• Demanding copies of something that you have never heard of, and/or cannot possibly exist

Come to think of it, I think I've encountered the dragon lady at other government offices as well...

Don't forget rule #1 for visiting the Department of Land Transportation in Maha Sarakham: Don't p*ss off the dragon lady working at counter #2!

I haven't actually been there in years, since I got my six year license a year or two ago. I always send transfers-of-ownership or vehicle-tag-updates through the shop. Hate to go to that place.

Get the landlord to give you a bill for the rent and/or a receipt showing you paid the rent--with the full address on it, and his/her name, sig, and phone.

And do what with that? Take it to immigration? My embassy? The license office?

Get the landlord to give you a bill for the rent and/or a receipt showing you paid the rent--with the full address on it, and his/her name, sig, and phone.

And do what with that? Take it to immigration? My embassy? The license office?

To Immigration as proof of address. But if you have a recent Thai license, Immigration accepts that as proof of address, too--though I've only used Pattaya.

With your passport and proof of address you should be good to sell a bike assuming that you own it. :) To avoid delay, be sure your sig on all docs matches that on your passport.

The only other document that may be required (by the Transport Office) from Immigration is "proof of passport stamps," that is, a document that verifies that your visa and visa extension are authentic and valid. Another silliness, but there you are.

But guys, how could I have any utility bill in my name without a 'green book' or tabien bahn or whatever they call it? All my utilities are of course in my landlord's name - as a foreigner I can't have anything in my name.

Its a catch-22 = can't get utilities, cable, etc, in your name without a tabien bahn, and can't get a tabien bahn without proof of address.

I do have a Thai 6 year driver license with an address on it (I totally forget which address), so I guess I could try that, but the bike shop told me 'no, they won't accept that'.

As for the suggestion that I show them the address in my work permit, no, they won't accept that - (they already have full copies of my work permit, apparently that isn't enough).

Not so - you should have your Thai driving licence in your name with your house address on it and also your work permit ditto. Either or both of these is acceptable legal proof of residence. If the shop won't accept it then they are being deliberately awkward and probably need to be offered tea money . . .

Other than this - as per other posters' advice - go to immigration with passport and photos (etc etc) and pay them their 500 baht for their statement of residence!

R

Edited by robsamui

Not so - you should have your Thai driving licence in your name with your house address on it

your thai licence has your address on the back but its more or less worthless when it comes to the registration of vehicles ,

a letter from the embassy has worked every time for me though ,its worth getting one anyway and making about 10 colour copies

in the photo printing shop for 25 thb each

the embassy charges 800 or 1000 thb for 1 copy and its only "valid" for 30 days from date of issue but every DLT has accepted a

copy and mine is a year and a half old and they are still accepting it although ive been told once or twice to get a new one for next time :D

Also used to be a signed copy of my passport photograph page was all but its gotten stricter and the last few times

i noticed they are insisting on signed copies of visa pages and entry/exit stamps as well so make sure all visas are up to date for buyer + seller or you could be in for a wasted day at best .......

your thai licence has your address on the back but its more or less worthless when it comes to the registration of vehicles ,

The point is that it isn't worthless at Immigration for getting the proof of address letter that's needed for registration of vehicles--or getting a bank account or whatever needs that document. I know, as I've done it several times as needed. I've registered four vehicles and never needed the proof of address to come from my embassy.

Someone above said his Immigration office won't do the letters. I made a suggestion for possible workaround. I'd try most anything to get out of a trip to BKK and screwing around and paying the Embassy.

Bought a Ducati 3 months ago cash from Ducati Udon Thani. I am on 30 day entry but married in Thailand.

Dealer asked me for a letter from immigration which I got in around 2 min stating that I lived in Udon ( wifes house book ) she came with me no problems 100 bt for writing letter.

No problem bike in my name just got the green book.

Seems different dealers different rules or they just don t know?