Negativity About English Teachers In Thailand On Here?

Chittychangchang

There seems to be a lot of negative comments on here about English teachers in Thailand.

Personaly i think it's commendable and rewarding to teach in a foreign country, I intend to try it myself at some point in my future.

I don't understand the negativity on here, would someone care to enlighten me.

Thanks

CCC

• Like 1

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Many are not really qualified, oh but we all know you don't have to be to be a great teacher right. Many do it just as a way to stay and enjoy themselves here and do not really care much about what they are actually doing, and in some cases that is more harm than good. They will tell you how much the School and kids love them but then move onto another one within a few months, or even weeks. If they were doing a good job how come the Thai kids are so poor in English, sure the education system is to blame, but then 'teachers' with crappy qualifications and the wrong motives hardly help matters. There are some good ones, but far more bad 'uns.

Demand out weighs supply....simple.

Ive never heard any....

Teachers are cool.

Hey ever remember the scene from the movie "Stripes" with Bill Murray?

Best scene ever when his mate teaches English...gold!

Funny stuff

Edited by Shot

a restaurant owner told me he dont like backpackers and teachers. btw he seems to be offended at me for ordering a promotion meal with just mineral water instead of the typical sugary beverages or alcohol and he is assuming me to be either a backpacker or a teacher. eventually i got really pissed off and did a stupid move by giving him a 1000 baht note for a 200 baht meal and asked him to keep the change

Edited by barefoot1988

a restaurant owner told me he dont like backpackers and teachers. btw he seems to be offended at me for ordering a promotion meal with just mineral water and assuming me to be either a backpacker or a teacher.

Thai or Foreign restaurant owner?

sent from my Q6

Found it!cheesy.gif

Nothing wrong with that. He got them relaxed and involved biggrin.png

sent from my Q6

AND THEY LEARNED SOME ENGLISH...It is an English class and all of the students in the class learned some English. I would say he is a dam_n good teacher.

Found it!cheesy.gif

Nothing wrong with that. He got them relaxed and involved biggrin.png

sent from my Q6

AND THEY LEARNED SOME ENGLISH...It is an English class and all of the students in the class learned some English. I would say he is a dam_n good teacher.

Not as good as when he became a soldier with Bill Murray, John Candy and Sgt.Hulka...cheesy.gif

Sorry Chitty, off topic. But gold.

• Like 1

Because many people(NOT ALL) on this forum are very unhappy with their lives.

I`ve really noticed this, the Issan forum especially. So many people simply not happy with "their lot." They deal with this by trying to belittle others and drag them down also.

I think the sight of a normal 22 year old having the time of his life teaching is almost sickening to some fat old guy who feels trapped in a foreign country, with nothing but death to look forward to.

Your attitude is a bit off as well... I'm a fat old guy having the time of his life teaching.. who's happy not to be trapped in my home country rolleyes.gifbiggrin.pngcheesy.gif

No it's not. I said and he quoted "many people (NOT ALL).. I am fat and old and I am having a great time here teaching and I wish I would of done it 30 years ago.

• Like 1

Because many people(NOT ALL) on this forum are very unhappy with their lives. They live here for any of several reasons. They didn't plan for the future and in a small village in Thailand is the only place they can afford to live. 2) They couldn't find a woman in their own country, so they come here and use their money to get and keep a woman and she and her family are a constant drain on his finances. 3) Some people are just hateful and bitter and criticize anything and everything they can. And there are some people on this forum that can only feel good about themselves if they are belittling someone else.

And some people that match any and all of the above also happen to be teachers.

Personally I think a lot of it is simply the same socio-economic snobbery many complain about wrt the Thais. Teaching isn't a respected nor well-paid profession back in many of our home countries (more fools us), and here the average rates of pay are less than what many Thai professionals make.

When I tell people my whole household manages on a total food budget of B140-170 per day, the reaction is more often disdain rather than admiration.

Finally many many people teaching here would rather work at anything else, even for less money if they could manage to find the work, but they just can't seem to manage to do so.

Definitely bottom of the pecking order in this chicken yard.

PS truly qualified-back-home schoolteachers working for the top dozen or so international schools here make 3-8 times what the TEFL (English-language) ones do, plus a full expat package, sometimes pretty generous too, so therefore gain a bit of respect, but still a long way down from the professional corporate expat.

• Like 1

I understand where your coming from. I have noticed a lot of hate on here. I don't mind a bit of banter but some people just can't help but bash everything from bar girls to brits and even take it as far as bashing spelling.

I've started to come on TV less and less because of it.

Well they can bash the bar girls and the brits all they want. But leave my spelling alone.cheesy.gif

• Like 1

but still a long way down from the professional corporate expat.

I think if we heard this kind of snobbery towards teachers from someone working in say Morgan Stanley in BKK, it would be slightly more understandable. It tends to eminate mostly from older guys, "i`v e lived hear so long I`m nearly a local" types, usually shacked up in a sleepy village with a girl half their age.

Of course I`m stereotyping slightly but definetly true to a certaion extent.

Ps I`m not a teacher and nothing wrong with living in Issan with a young girl (as long as you dont moan about it :-p )

Edited by tullynagardy
  • Like 2

but still a long way down from the professional corporate expat.

I think if we heard this kind of snobbery towards teachers from someone working in say Morgan Stanley in BKK, it would be slightly more understandable. It tends to eminate mostly from older guys, "i`v e lived hear so long I`m nearly a local" types, usually shacked up in a sleepy village with a girl half their age.

Of course I`m stereotyping slightly but definetly true to a certaion extent.

Ps I`m not a teacher and nothing wrong with living in Issan with a young girl (as long as you dont moan about it :-p )

Truer words have never been spoken. wai.gif

Because many people(NOT ALL) on this forum are very unhappy with their lives. They live here for any of several reasons. They didn't plan for the future and in a small village in Thailand is the only place they can afford to live. 2) They couldn't find a woman in their own country, so they come here and use their money to get and keep a woman and she and her family are a constant drain on his finances. 3) Some people are just hateful and bitter and criticize anything and everything they can. And there are some people on this forum that can only feel good about themselves if they are belittling someone else.

So they come on here to denigrate their fellows by way of generalisation.

The embarrassing thing is that I'm so naive I actually think you were being serious.

SC

a restaurant owner told me he dont like backpackers and teachers. btw he seems to be offended at me for ordering a promotion meal with just mineral water instead of the typical sugary beverages or alcohol and he is assuming me to be either a backpacker or a teacher. eventually i got really pissed off and did a stupid move by giving him a 1000 baht note for a 200 baht meal and asked him to keep the change

A bit OP, Barefoot you are not a backpacker neither a teacher but you teach me a good selling Technic.......I will say, "you can't buy my coffee machine because you can't afford it right?........... sbamm cash on the tablewai.gif

Back to the OT I knew some teachers and ALL are good guys, well prepared and with proper reference, the problem are the programs teaching system of the different schools which often did not allow to these teachers to show their capacity

• Like 1

So they come on here to denigrate their fellows by way of generalisation.

The embarrassing thing is that I'm so naive I actually think you were being serious.

SC

I must be hitting the nail on the head. More people agree with me than disagree with me.