Negativity About English Teachers In Thailand On Here?

Chittychangchang

a restaurant owner told me he dont like backpackers and teachers. btw he seems to be offended at me for ordering a promotion meal with just mineral water instead of the typical sugary beverages or alcohol and he is assuming me to be either a backpacker or a teacher. eventually i got really pissed off and did a stupid move by giving him a 1000 baht note for a 200 baht meal and asked him to keep the change

I know these types well. Smart enough to stay afloat in business, but not smart enoigh not to open it in the first place. They have soured on their marriage or really greasy gay guy and just have this sour, smug condecending opinion of anyone not throwing money at himself. Of course, if you were he'd slag ypu later for being a dumb bastard tossing your money about.They are simply floating, existing and the rest of their life will be as thus. They know it and hate it and hate you and your freedom.

My second trip.to Thailand I stayed at this Swiss guys upscale gh in Chaing Mai (a place I really dislike for its dmoke, boredom and general pollution). Booked it for 300b mind you at 24b to usd. Thai wife smart enough to know at 30% full.gh is better than a 20% full gh as no way I was paying 500. I was only staying a few days. That asshol_e gave me total grief for three days, accused me of stealing a section of his bkk post (!!!). He was a true ass.

I got the best of him in the end, but what a chump.

Edited by bangkokburning

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

M

It isn't entirely necessary to have any teacher at all, if there is interest & time.

And i think a 'teacher' that can't actually explain anything that i can comprehend is about as useful as having no teacher at all, i may as well buy a dictionary and ask my gf to hold up a pen, i'll work it out later rather than sooner.

Sorry what's a translation book?

You mean like this?

ChiangMaiKelly!

This is a disgrace to the Thai people!

'Ai lie dis sa-tai'

This is not the Thai culture!

Be grateful she didnt say: 'Ai hia lia hii ni' wai2.gif

No doubt no monolingual teacher can understand, but i won't explain thumbsup.gif

Edited by poanoi

those who cant teach, teach gym

and those who cant teach gym, administrate

Actually being a PE teacher in the better school's an incredible racket, highly recommended for youngsters looking for career options.

Minimal prep time, no papers to grade, travel to the international competitions, only down side is you end losing a lot of Saturdays, but working maybe working 200 days a year doesn't sound so bad does it?

Plus the incentive to stay fit as you get older, I'm sure we can remember that fat gym teacher 8-)

I live in a private complex on the outskirts of bkk and am the only farang here. people refer to me as teacher before i even confirm that is my profession. in this area if they see a farang they just assume. when friends come to visit i tell them to tell the security guards either "ban farang" or "ban teacha" biggrin.png

I live in a private complex on the outskirts of bkk and am the only farang here. people refer to me as teacher before i even confirm that is my profession. in this area if they see a farang they just assume. when friends come to visit i tell them to tell the security guards either "ban farang" or "ban teacha" biggrin.png

Or if Poanoi came, he would refer to it as Ban (monolingual) Scam.....wink.png

Someday I will.start a thread on.how annoying the Philippine accent is. I am instantly.turned off by its sing-song nature. The fact that I find them some of the most dim witted people of the planet doesn't help.

I've noticed that many Indonesians, Malay and subordinate Singaporeans now speak.with this atrocious accent.

Thailand would well be advised not to develop this accent.

Isn't the accent due to the fact that the Philippine schools prefer American teachers.(No offense meant to American teachers).

Indeed, Asians learning spoken English nearly always prefer to have American teachers.

That is because the US is their biggest trading partner. Perhaps I should say that the US is their biggest market. The same motivation happens in the US where very ambitious people want to learn Mandarin Chinese. I can't speak for other countries other than Canada which is also stressing Mandarin Chinese.

those who cant teach, teach gym

and those who cant teach gym, administrate

Actually being a PE teacher in the better school's an incredible racket, highly recommended for youngsters looking for career options.

Minimal prep time, no papers to grade, travel to the international competitions, only down side is you end losing a lot of Saturdays, but working maybe working 200 days a year doesn't sound so bad does it?

Plus the incentive to stay fit as you get older, I'm sure we can remember that fat gym teacher 8-)

please dont take that too serious, im just joking around. i tell that to my students all the time just for a laugh, and tell it to my administrators (international school) every now when i feel their losing sight of the kids tongue.pngwink.pngwai.gif

please dont take that too serious, im just joking around. i tell that to my students all the time just for a laugh, and tell it to my administrators (international school) every now when i feel their losing sight of the kids

Do please take more care with your punctuation and spelling, at least in those threads where you admit to being a teacher, you're not holding your end up here 8-)

I've noticed that many Indonesians, Malay and subordinate Singaporeans now speak.with this atrocious accent.

probably filipinos who took my/sg/id citizenship. their accent are real sharp and unique?, i could hear one miles away.

okay maybe im biased, i got struck in manila for work for quite sometime sick.gif the only period in my life when i actually lost weight

please dont take that too serious, im just joking around. i tell that to my students all the time just for a laugh, and tell it to my administrators (international school) every now when i feel their losing sight of the kids

Do please take more care with your punctuation and spelling, at least in those threads where you admit to being a teacher, you're not holding your end up here 8-)

i teach business, spelling and grammar are a problem for someone else... biggrin.png

Edited by yourauntbob

^^ Do you mean where the 'f' sound is replaced with a 'p', the 'v' and sometimes 'p' with a 'b' and the? I think it's sort of interesting to listen to.

'My priends, beoble pound lipe in hesus christo.'

It took me a while, like listening to English with the Thai accent, but after a while I enjoy it.

Edited by hookedondhamma

i teach business, spelling and grammar are a problem for someone else... biggrin.png

Chinese eh. laugh.png

I have noticed they get torn to shreds here, why I honestly don't know and reading all this has not enlightened me.

I met a few teachers, seemed like good young guys, and a girl, they were enjoying there youth.

what does not get ripped up here.

I've met dozens of TEFL wannabe teachers and enjoy their presence a lot more than old farts.

I still won't pay a single baht for a monolingual teacher if i want to learn a language tho.

That's maybe reason you still need to learn. Im content with my fluency in Thai and have never paid a single baht. Being immersed in the language was my motivation to learn.

I've met dozens of TEFL wannabe teachers and enjoy their presence a lot more than old farts.

I still won't pay a single baht for a monolingual teacher if i want to learn a language tho.

That's maybe reason you still need to learn. Im content with my fluency in Thai and have never paid a single baht. Being immersed in the language was my motivation to learn.

Exactly !

If you need a teacher, you need someone capable of explaining in a language you comprehend,

if you don't need explanation, why waste a single baht on a teacher ?

but, 'content with my fluency in thai' dont really say much,

i've met dozens of falangs that are content with their ability to say 'top salop salai' + 'pet mak mak'

Edited by poanoi

no interest in learning thai, none whatsoever.

Me neither, but it was none the less rewarding & entertaining for as long as i had a competent teacher, nearly 2 years, and i would have kept studying IF i still had a competent teacher.

but alas, she was replaced with teachers that couldn't explain in a language i could understand, so it became pointless

Edited by poanoi

Well, if the thread has turned to learning Thai, I'm working hard on it. It's hard, especially at my age. I haven't taken my first baby steps yet.

The other day it dawned on me that we do use tones, and the same tones, in at least Western US, and it's going to help me. We don't (that I can think of) use them to change the meaning of words, but we use them to be expressive. Now, on a real ranch, every head of cattle is a "cow." "let's go check on the cows in the corral" may refer to a bunch of steers. The exceptions might be a prized breeding bull or a newborn calf. Kaau.

We're sitting at a campfire at night and some spooked cow is about to run over us. The startled warning is "cow" with the rising and falling tone in the middle. (See, I don't remember what it's called yet.)

We're elk hunting and there's an animal in the brush. I don't know if it's and elk or a cow. I ask, "cow?" with a rising tone.

We're elk hunting and there's an animal in the brush. It's a cow. My low and disappointed tone is falling. "Cow."

Don't flame me. I'm a newbie beginner and it's helping to say the tones.

"Eh?" "Sorrow." "Where?" "Ah!"

• Like 1

Aye laddie but in English (all varieties) we use tones for emphasis, not meaning.

Take a lot of time now at this early stage to get them tones nailed down....

I think I said that, but I agree. It's hard at this age, but anything which helps mentally is an aid, just for me. It's really hard.

Choose 3 words of each tone you are familiar with and repeat them over and over.

Really helps to nail em in....

Dog, mother and doctor.smile.png Who sells chicken eggs. Rice, knee and news and the 20 other words that sound like rice.

Thanks. smile.png

Edited by NeverSure