Negativity About English Teachers In Thailand On Here?

Chittychangchang

A lot of people could be jealous. I put my kids into a bilingual program at a well know private school that has about 30 schools in Thailand. The teachers there, if they had been there for a few years were all on 50,000 + a month. With work on the side a lot of them were on 60-70 a month. That is probably more than a lot of retirees get. To get the proper retirement visa you have to have 65,000 a month. Many people stat just on a marriage visa or by showing a lump sum in the bank. Teachers in an international school could be on 150+ with full benefits

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

I seriously don't believe that any negativity, as queried by the OP , is borne out of jealousy . Not too many retirees here would envy some-one having to work that hard or long for the average salary obtainable by the average teacher .

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think your secretary must have been very special on that kind of salary. She must have been good. I bet she earnt it.

Not at all, unqualified teenagers from off the street mostly. Only jobs like McDonald's paid less and not much less, freelance housecleaning paid at least double that. Qualified secretaries earned at least $35,000 a year, lots more with good experience especially at upper management levels, $50K wasn't unusual.

I made $200+ per night waiting tables when I was a teenager, all cash no tax, and that was 1970's dollars. Before that as a kid was mowing lawns, averaged $15 an hour, saved at least $3,000 per summer, and my sister made nearly that much babysitting.

People forget how quickly even American standards of living for the non-wealthy have been plummetting toward third-world levels over the past four decades.

From what I could see they were not working that hard and they did get over three months holiday a year all paid.

It is a very good wage for Thailand. Most Thais would love to earn that kind of money.

International schools, yes. Commercial sector not at all.

Most Thai-managed schools are now starting to go to 11-month contracts to save the summer break salary, plus then don't accumulate the severance obligation for long-termers. And they make you work a good part of the holidays, even if it's just clocking in for appearances' sake, so the Thais can't complain about farang getting special treatment.

And of course it doesn't look like hard work to someone without a clue looking from the outside. You try it sometime and report back what you think.

If you're conscientious that is, and of course the contempt often over-generalized here is deserved for those that aren't.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

Just as an amusing asides, I just had coffee at my local and must admit to stifling a chuckle as the nylon shirted teachers fled by on their way to work....

It seems that there are plenty on this forum that enjoy their feeling of superiority over others. How confident are you that their shirts are actually man-made fibre, and not predominantly natural? I can scarcely imagine your distress or even jealousy were you to learn that they are in fact wearing Marks and Spencer easy-iron cotton.

SC

A lot of people could be jealous. I put my kids into a bilingual program at a well know private school that has about 30 schools in Thailand. The teachers there, if they had been there for a few years were all on 50,000 + a month. With work on the side a lot of them were on 60-70 a month.

My receptionist earned more than that fifteen years ago.

The fact that that's considered a decent wage for what teachers have to put up with here is sad.

Sure wish I was making that much ATM 8-)

Your "receptionist" earned more than 50,000? I bet she made those "copies" really good....lol I bet she could "collate" her ass off...lol

Edited by somtumlion

Your "receptionist" earned more than 50,000? I bet she made those "copies" really good....lol I bet she could "collate" her ass off...lol

If you read a bit more carefully you'll see what I meant.

Note USD per year vs THB per month, I'm pretty sure I indicated units.

No need to put anything in quotes, these were just regular employee rates I'm talking about.

And note that NYC and its northern suburbs in Fairfield/Westchester counties have historically been among the highest income per capita - and cost of living - areas in the US, so obviously skewed compared to people's experience elsewhere.

I was just trying to make a general comment about USD $2,000 a month being considered "a lot of money" by western standards.

It's true that people these days have much lower expectations than they used to, which was my other main point, ordinary people are very grateful just to have any job at all these days even $10 an hour with no security or benefits, and that's a sad state of affairs compared to when I was growing up.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

A lot of people could be jealous. I put my kids into a bilingual program at a well know private school that has about 30 schools in Thailand. The teachers there, if they had been there for a few years were all on 50,000 + a month. With work on the side a lot of them were on 60-70 a month.

My receptionist earned more than that fifteen years ago.

The fact that that's considered a decent wage for what teachers have to put up with here is sad.

Sure wish I was making that much ATM 8-)

Mmkay so I take it you never heard of receptionists making more than 50 k, quite normal at some famous dental clinics or larger companies. Try to reach further than the end of your soi and maybe just maybe you will catch on to reality.

Just as an amusing asides, I just had coffee at my local and must admit to stifling a chuckle as the nylon shirted teachers fled by on their way to work....

I bet they thought "Thank god I have a job and didn't end up like that poor sod" ;)

• 1 year later...

A plumber from Germany can become an engrit teacher in Thailand.And after some silly six week course Thai students have to say ajarn to said person.

News to me - I was given to understand that employers prefer native English speakers from Commonwealth countries and the US (young, blond and female doesn't hurt either). I dont teach English and I dont plan to, but that's my understanding.