Sidestands On Motorcycles

Semper

In truth I think the history is that the brake was on the right side on older motorcycles such as BSA Norton Triumph and even the Enfield Bullet and Mini Bullet which I had the pleasure of riding from India to Europe many years ago. It was the japanes that changed the side I think. The stand on the left side enabled one to lower the stand while stopping the bike moving with the brake.

Craziest mixed up post ever, must be a stunt rider from a parallel universe.

I agree. I really messed that one up. My only ecuse for what it is worth is it is over 30 years since I rode the Enfield and since then have only ridden a moped which did not have a side. Lost my leg with that one so cannot ride a bike now..................Not a good excuse but I am glad it gave you a laugh....it did me and gave me a chance to remember the past.

By the way by right side I meant correct side whistling.gif

Edited by harrry

And the most stupid side stand of all time has to go to Ducati, as soon as you take the weight of the stand it would flick up, the best inovation so far is the side stand that cuts the engine if you try to move off with it down,

Not much better was Honda, with the "using the clutch will swing the stand in", on their VFR's, in the 80/90's

I know a couple of people, who had to learn that the painful way!

I think, that was part of the process, changing from the nice working rubber extensions (that I would like to see on waves and other bikes here) to the stand switch/clutch relay circuit.

using the clutch will swing the stand in", on their VFR's, in the 80/90's

you n Harry drinking together? having had 3 vfr's an fj & 2 fk's I can assure you they had no such set up, I can also assure you they're one of the greatest bikes built in fact I'm looking for another minter red fk now.

And the most stupid side stand of all time has to go to Ducati, as soon as you take the weight of the stand it would flick up, the best inovation so far is the side stand that cuts the engine if you try to move off with it down,

Not much better was Honda, with the "using the clutch will swing the stand in", on their VFR's, in the 80/90's

I think, that was part of the process, changing from the nice working rubber extensions (that I would like to see on waves and other bikes here) to the stand switch/clutch relay circuit.

you n Harry drinking together? having had 3 vfr's an fj & 2 fk's I can assure you they had no such set up, I can also assure you they're one of the greatest bikes built in fact I'm looking for another minter red fk now.

Am I bashing the wrong manufacturer?blink.png

Will think about, how many other 'several guy's driving the same type of Motorcycles' groups I did know, in the past.

Maybewhistling.gif .

Never had a VFR, didn't like the sound of 'em. Besides the optic. But that has nothing to do with good or not good. Only personal view. I don't like Harley's, too! Maybe a Buell, but a Harley....?

Am I bashing the wrong manufacturer?blink.png

Will think about, how many other 'several guy's driving the same type of Motorcycles' groups I did know, in the past.

Maybewhistling.gif .

Never had a VFR, didn't like the sound of 'em. Besides the optic. But that has nothing to do with good or not good. Only personal view. I don't like Harley's, too! Maybe a Buell, but a Harley....?

Love the sound of 'em, especially with the motad 4 into 1. The lovely low down burble of that gorgeous torque endowed v-four that turns to a banshee scream on full chat! Lovely!!!