Futsal World Cup: Fifa Drops Bombshell On Bangkok Arena

webfact

FUTSAL WORLD CUP

Fifa drops bombshell on Arena

The Nation

30193820-01_big.jpg

Interior view of the Bt1.3-billion Futsal World Cup Arena, which will not be used during the tournament.

Stadium classed as unfit for use in Futsal World Cup

BANGKOK: -- After a long delay in deciding the fate of Bangkok Futsal Arena, Fifa yesterday delivered a bombshell verdict by denying approval to the billion-baht venue for use at the ongoing Futsal World Cup over security concerns.

Fifa's decision was a stunning slap in the face for the organisers, who had named the Arena situated in Nong Chok district on the outskirts of the capital as main venue for the 24-team tournament. However, they had only themselves to blame, after allowing the Bt1.3-billion construction of the stadium to fall far behind schedule.

Rather than being harsh in dealing such a huge blow to the country's reputation, world soccer's governing body was in fact lenient with local officialdom - it twice postponed the deadline for completion of the stadium.

When authorities failed to meet the initial deadline, the Arena was ruled out as a venue for the Group A fixtures featuring Thailand. Now, Fifa has confirmed that what was to be the crowning jewel of the Futsal World Cup is unfit for use during any stage of the competition.

Fifa's decision not to grant approval will be hard to digest for all the concerned parties, who now know that their huge efforts to ensure everything would be ready in time were in vain. Expectations last week were that Thailand would manage to avoid World Cup disaster, after Fifa provisionally agreed to permit the use of the Arena from the quarter-finals on condition that authorities met its requirements.

So the frustration was magnified given that officials were unable to make the most of their second chance by fulfilling Fifa's conditions at the final inspection on Monday. Fifa stated that its Futsal Committee was concerned over security provision and thus decided not to give approval to the Arena.

The Committee based its decision on a report from the inspection group, including safety and security experts who carried out a thorough evaluation of the stadium. Although significant progress had been made, including the installation of a pitch, Fifa was not satisfied.

Its Committee explained that the safety of spectators, teams and all other visitors to the stadium were of paramount importance to Fifa, and that such a fundamental issue, as well as the functionality of core services and facilities, could not be compromised.

Nevertheless, Fifa acknowledged the round-the-clock efforts made by the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA), which was responsible for construction of the Arena, to meet the deadline.

The quarter-final fixtures on November 14 will now be played at Nimibutr Stadium, whilst the semi-finals and final will be hosted at the Indoor Stadium Huamark. Both stadiums have already hosted group stage matches.

Tickets that have already been bought for the six scheduled matches at the Arena will be valid at the new match venues.

Suphachai Tantikhom, the Arena director, blamed the stadium farce on government delays in approving the budget for construction.

"We did everything that Fifa requested, except some small issues. The reason we were unable to finish construction on time was the delay in budget approval that caused a lot of problems for us from the beginning."

Suphachai was asked whether being unable to host the Futsal World Cup meant the Arena had failed to meet the purpose for which it was built. He declined to answer the question.

BMA spokesman Wasant Meewong revealed that Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra would call a conference on the issue today, but insisted that his office had done its best to ensure the Arena would be ready for the tournament.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2012-11-07

• Like 1

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra would call a conference on the issue today, but insisted that his office had done its best to ensure the Arena would be ready for the tournament.

Obviously, getting it ready in time and in proper shape would be too much to expect. Not as easy as dumping a few "big bags" here or there, guv. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

I am sure there will be hoards of people on here that will come out with the usual critisisms of of Thailand, but I actually think it is quite sad it won't be used. I have seen this place go up week after week, it's a quite impressive looking arena, and a huge effort has been made. It's a shame it has all been in vain.

• Like 1

I remember some after London 2012 saying 'give the Olympics to Thailand'. Lol is all I can say.

So what happened? Did all the money go into someone's pocket or did they just take short cuts to get it finished? Nothing like some public face loss to bring home truths to their doorstep.

Edited by wellred
  • Like 1

What a farce. If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how can you then find the time to go back and fix it? The halving of number of days for construction, obviously was a major concern, and by cutting corners to meet the deadline, things FIFA deemed essential were overlooked by BMA but not by FIFA. At any rate, now they 'should' take their time, do it 100% then re-approach FIFA and seek approval for next season. All is not lost but in the eyes of the world, Thailand yet again, is screwing things up.

"approval for next season"?? ... it's not like the Futsal World Cup will be coming back here next year.

There is a difference been unapproved for design and unapproved because it's not finished.

Is it unsafe because it's unsafe, or because it's unfinished?

If it was unsafe "because it's unsafe", they would have pointed it out at many of their earlier inspections. (you would have thought)

There is a difference been unapproved for design and unapproved because it's not finished.

If it was unsafe "because it's unsafe", they would have pointed it out at many of their earlier inspections. (you would have thought)

Well having done a few projects in Thailand, you would have thought ,is a very dangerous concept.

Anyway, at the beginning it was the floor, you would have thought that the thais would have realized that even if they finished the floor, safety would still fail the building.

So obviously, there were other issues beyond just the floor, so someone was ta

telling little porkie piez.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Well having done a few projects in Thailand, you would have thought ,is a very dangerous concept.

Anyway, at the beginning it was the floor, you would have thought that the thais would have realized that even if they finished the floor, safety would still fail the building.

I would agree with you if it was the Thai's that were doing the inspection.

The other paper states that criteria specified after the earlier inspection were still not sufficiently met. So it wasn't "Oh, we need you to finish the floor" ... and then the next inspection "Oh ... didn't we tell you. We want you to finish the stairs as well".

I would agree with you if it was the Thai's that were doing the inspection.

The other paper states that criteria specified after the earlier inspection were still not sufficiently met. So it wasn't "Oh, we need you to finish the floor" ... and then the next inspection "Oh ... didn't we tell you. We want you to finish the stairs as well".

It obviously was the floor++

Bangkok governor MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra said yesterday he would take responsibility if the Futsal World Cup stadium was not ready in time.
"Although further significant progress has been made, including the installation of a pitch, the key criteria laid out following the committee meeting on Oct 31 have not been sufficiently met," Fifa Futsal Committee said in a statement posted on the world football governing body's website yesterday.

Upon learning about Fifa's decision, Bangkok governor Sukhumbhand Paribatra said he felt sorry for all people who had worked hard on the arena.

He also defended himself, saying he had fulfilled his responsibilities to complete the stadium.

whistling.gifwhistling.gifwhistling.gif

• Like 1

Sukhumband is moaning in the other paper that it might be a bluff because they haven't finished the "extra" VIP rooms, and that he is pissed off that they didn't consult them privately before announcing that it wasn't approved. So Thai you couldn't credit it huh.

It really should have passed, but because the FIFA pooyais won't get a nice room to sit in, they wouldn't pass the building. I.E. It's the farang pooyai fault. And I thought he was supposed to be an educated man.

• Like 2

Sukhumband is moaning in the other paper that it might be a bluff because they haven't finished the "extra" VIP rooms, and that he is pissed off that they didn't consult them privately before announcing that it wasn't approved. So Thai you couldn't credit it huh.

It really should have passed, but because the FIFA pooyais won't get a nice room to sit in, they wouldn't pass the building. I.E. It's the farang pooyai fault. And I thought he was supposed to be an educated man.

Did you expect anything else, but putting the blame on FIFA ??

• Like 2

Did you expect anything else, but putting the blame on FIFA ??

It really is astonishing when something goes wrong in Thailand, how it is absolutely IMPOSSIBLE for people to admit, "yup, we screwed up, I resign, sorry."

Of all the things to blame it on, the VIP rooms, really is the biscuit. Of course, it could be that the light sockets in the VIP rooms are hanging off the wall with tons of black insulating tape exposed to make the connections.

• Like 2

LMAO

welcome (again) to the wonderful world of Thailand. What's the betting that it simply just gets left as us, and is never actually finished to the standard required?

Not that those (Thai's) involved care much, they already got their substantial cut out of this farce.

• Like 2

Ministry of Silly Defenses?

I am sure there will be hoards of people on here that will come out with the usual critisisms of of Thailand, but I actually think it is quite sad it won't be used. I have seen this place go up week after week, it's a quite impressive looking arena, and a huge effort has been made. It's a shame it has all been in vain.

Not in vain, they can use this to their advantage, and im sure some have . How to do build a bit better and wiser . How to keep deadlines. What Happened?, maybe our caste hierarchy has too many Chiefs on the Site. PS. How many is a Hoard?
  • Like 1