Buying 3G/4G Usb Aircards And Mifi Routers In Bkk

deniro24

There are many Shops at Pantip plaza (Pantip Plaza is an indoor IT shopping mall located on New Phetchaburi Road in Ratchathewi district, Bangkok) Short walk from Ratchathewi BTS, that have a selection of Aircards also Fortune Town IT Mall at Rama 9 next to MRT Rama 9. As far as I am aware its not legal to sell anything that is locked in Thailand. Make sure you purchase a aircard that does 850, 900 and 2100 as some only do 850 or 900 but not both. I found this table of Frequencies used by country for 3G services you can pick the countiries you need from this: http://www.worldtimezone.com/gsm.html not sure it 100% accurate is it not correct for thailand (DTAC and True 850, AIS 900 is correct).

I can't believe that, unlike whole western world, when you buy a phone or aircard from one provider in Thailand, they are never locked. If that's so, then it's easy, I can just buy MiFi device or Aircard from TrueMove or AIS or DTAC or whatever and use it anywhere and with any provider, provided that frequencies match. And for all SEA and further I just need to look for 850/900/2100 MHz device. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

muratremix, does AircardOK has a store somewhere or it's online sale only? I'll stay in BKK for 3-4 days before heading to Koh Tao so I need a store.

I will search further for the store and device I need but if someone knows exactly one with following specs, please propose:

quality MiFi mobile WiFi router for 5 remote devices

850/900/2100 MHz

light and portable

rechargeable batt with good life, charged via USB

if possible, while connected/charged via USB, still to work as WiFi router for remote devices (I understood majority can't)

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Damir from Croatia

I would try to identify the various 3G service providers you plan to use in different countries, then try to identify the frequencies they use, then identify some candidate routers. I think it may be challenging to find a quad-band 3G (850/900/1900/2100 MHz) MiFi device?

I guess you may only need 850 MHz 3G for DTAC or TrueMove H here in Thailand, and maybe what, Telstra in Australia? Otherwise 900/1900/2100 would suffice, but you'd have to use AIS/TOT when in Thailand.

You do not have to buy a device from a service provider, they can be purchased anywhere, and yes, all devices are sold un-locked here.

Total Aircard can also be used tog et a feel for models, specs, availability and pricing. I think they are, like airdcardok, mail-order only?

Do you know how much ZTE MF60 cost in Thailand? On Ebay from USA I can get unlocked for 100USD.

Btw, last time in BKK I saw technical stuff are approx 30% more expencive than here in EU. Why is that? You are so close to countries producing the majority of tech stuff.

muratremix, why you said 2 antennas? Do you use ZTE MF60 with CRC9 port external antenna?

lomatopo, regarding the 3G freqs, from the map that barryw52 linked (will research further when I find time):

Thailand, Australia & New Zealand: 850, 900, 2100.

Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam, Singapore, Malaysia, Indonesia, China: 2100

Philippines: 850, 2100

Papua NG: 900

Btw, I plan to spend few months each year on Koh Tao and people are telling me TrueMove-H coverage should be best solution there so I need 850Mhz.

Thanks guys

Any experience with newer ZTE models?

ZTE MF62

ZTE MF80

ZTE MF91

MF91 is 4G and may be solution for future 4G in SEA or working 4G networks in North America, Europe etc.. (if someone twist my arm ordering to get back there).

It's pretty hard to find these (new) devices in Thailand over the net so not to complicate further; in Pantip plaza, Fortune Town IT Mall or MBK wouldn't be a problem to find these ZTE and Huawei MiFi devices we talked about. Am I right?

lomatopo, why do you think so? They are all 3G 850/2100MHz.

I assumed you required a quad band (850/900/1900/2100 MHZ) 3G MiFi router, based on your listed countries and frequencies. You should not confuse these 3G frequencies with GSM (2G: EDGE/GPRS) data frequencies: 850/900/1800/1900.

I have observed that it may be challenging to source a quad-band 3G MiFi Router.

There are several quad-band 3G USB air-cards available, and some "traditional" multi-port/WiFi routers do accept USB air-cards, so that may be one solution.

The important thing for you is to purchase a device which supports all of the required, be they GSM or 3G, frequencies.