My Tot Internet In Ubon Is Turning Off At The Same Time Every Night For All Of The Night

KunMatt

Between 7.30pm to 8.30pm every night my TOT internet slows down to a halt then stops altogether, it then remedies itself at 7.30am to 8am every day for the last 7 days. During the day it is 100% rock solid and full speed.

This has to be a human related problem as I imagine someone is inadvertantly shutting down power in an office late in the evening after work and then resetting it again when they come back to work in the morning.

The ADSL light is on all the time but the Internet light is off on my TOT router.

Anybody else have this problem in Ubon?

The helpline are useless as always with any follow up and when the local technician called me in the daytime to ask if it is now working he reported back that its all good now as its always working in the daytime!!

Just wanna check that its not just me...

Are you trying to download torrents (or anything else) through out the day/night?

Not at night or anytime close to when this happens. I've had this internet for about 8 months and the problem just started. Customer Service (who I now call twice a day) have no clue as to why. If it was traffic shaping or throttling I'm sure they would have mentioned it.

Yeah I believe it has to be human intervention. I get fobbed off with the same excuse everyday from customer service that it may be a line problem but it would not be rock solid during the day and turned off and on at the same times everyday.

Right now it is 6.50am and internet is off. It has been off since 7.30pm last night. I will post when it fixes itself in about an hour...

As expected the net just came back online by itself at 8.05am. I can only imagine someone coming into work and turning on the power block for the coffee machine which also powers the ISP!

So any other TOT customers now back online too??

Had that problem in Chiang Mai with two service providers. 5 AM and midnight you would get disconnected and have to reconnect about a minute later. Seemed like it was an automatic server reset somewhere.

Now that sounds like an ISP releasing all of the IP leases, if using dynamic IP's which is usual. Especially, those times make me think that, when few are online. Perhaps the ISP didn't quite have a big enough block of IP addresses, and wanted to clear any whose modems were off. Just a hunch.

Has nothing to do with all night here... I'll go with the server being on the same circuit as the coffee machine, LOL.

• Like 1

Seriously??! smile.png

If you're talking to me, very seriously. I admit I don't know all of the methods used for access in LOS, but the international standards for transmitting TCP/IP, and for IP address assignement remain the same.

IF the ISP is releasing all leases at midnight, and IF the modem OR the router isn't picking up the new one, and IF either the modem or router doesn't have regular internal refreshes, then you MIGHT be able to pick it up with a reboot. Otherwise you have to wait until both the modem and the router (which may be one dual purpose node) pick up the new IP by themselves which may mean never.

Personally if I lost my connection, the first thing I would do would be to reboot everything, starting modem/router/switch/computer's connection, and in that order only. It would be worth a try, and I'd do it more than once just in case the ISP was slow in renewing. I hate sitting with no connection and will try "something" at least until I learn that it doesn't work. In that case I'd assume the ISP was down, but I wouldn't assume until I proved it.

Seriously??! smile.png

If you're talking to me, very seriously. I admit I don't know all of the methods used for access in LOS, but the international standards for transmitting TCP/IP, and for IP address assignement remain the same.

IF the ISP is releasing all leases at midnight, and IF the modem OR the router isn't picking up the new one, and IF either the modem or router doesn't have regular internal refreshes, then you MIGHT be able to pick it up with a reboot. Otherwise you have to wait until both the modem and the router (which may be one dual purpose node) pick up the new IP by themselves which may mean never.

Personally if I lost my connection, the first thing I would do would be to reboot everything, starting modem/router/switch/computer's connection, and in that order only. It would be worth a try, and I'd do it more than once just in case the ISP was slow in renewing. I hate sitting with no connection and will try "something" at least until I learn that it doesn't work. In that case I'd assume the ISP was down, but I wouldn't assume until I proved it.

Sorry I couldn't reply last night because my bloody internet went off again!!!! This time at 18.30 and back on at 8.05am.

I meant "seriously, do you not think I hadn't thunk of that already??!"

turnitoffandonagain.jpg

TOT's techincal support are pathetic. Their customer service line is 2nd to none at an English speaking person answering the phone on the 1st ring every single time, but nothing gets done and because there is never any follow up I never know if my issue is in a queue to be looked at, is being fixed or is considered to be fixed and nothing further will be done.

I spoke to a couple of other people in our village including an 'internet cafe' and they also have problems with TOT every day, as far as I can understand they think it is a faulty 'box in the village', which I assume is a repeater here, but it doesn't make any logical sense why it is repaired/reset every morning at the same time.

I've called TOT in Ubon and all they can say is their technician will look it but I don't know if they are aware exactly what my fault is as we haven't ran any diagnostics or if they have any idea of the cause or anything because, yet again, there is no communication from them to me and in the past whenever my internet has been down and I've called them, at some point after my call it works again and I have no idea if a tech actually did anything specific because of my call or if it just resolved itself, and TOT have no idea if my problem has cleared because, guess what, they never bloody follow up and call me to find out.

Anyways, it looks like it is a very localised problem and not affecting Ubon city etc. When I find out the cause (or their version of the cause cuz I doubt they are going to tell me "sorry, we needed the socket to plug in our TV every night") I will post here what they say in case anyone ever has a similar problem in the future.

turnitoffandonagain.jpg

Cute cartoon. Seriously, I have no idea what you know and you seemed to be asking for ideas.

I especially didn't know if you knew to reboot everything in order; modem, router if separate, switch if you have one, then any computers in any order. (Well OK, a router is a computer but you know...) :)

turnitoffandonagain.jpg

Cute cartoon. Seriously, I have no idea what you know and you seemed to be asking for ideas.

I especially didn't know if you knew to reboot everything in order; modem, router if separate, switch if you have one, then any computers in any order. (Well OK, a router is a computer but you know...) smile.png

It's all good. That's why I used the smiley! :)

Cheers.

turnitoffandonagain.jpg

I especially didn't know if you knew to reboot everything in order; modem, router if separate, switch if you have one, then any computers in any order. (Well OK, a router is a computer but you know...) smile.png

Oh BTW, in case you didn't get the reference; that screencap is a from a British sitcom called the IT Crowd which is full of nerd humour and very good. I recommend it.

Between 7.30pm to 8.30pm every night my TOT internet slows down to a halt then stops altogether

Maybe your wife think that it's a proper time for you to stop online activities, and has a hidden switch somwhere? rolleyes.gif

LOL. That's about the only logical explanation so far!

Seriously??! smile.png

Sorry I couldn't reply last night because my bloody internet went off again!!!! This time at 18.30 and back on at 8.05am.

turnitoffandonagain.jpg

TOT's techincal support are pathetic. Their customer service line is 2nd to none at an English speaking person answering the phone on the 1st ring every single time, but nothing gets done and because there is never any follow up I never know if my issue is in a queue to be looked at, is being fixed or is considered to be fixed and nothing further will be done.

I spoke to a couple of other people in our village including an 'internet cafe' and they also have problems with TOT every day, as far as I can understand they think it is a faulty 'box in the village', which I assume is a repeater here, but it doesn't make any logical sense why it is repaired/reset every morning at the same time.

I've called TOT in Ubon and all they can say is their technician will look it but I don't know if they are aware exactly what my fault is as we haven't ran any diagnostics or if they have any idea of the cause or anything because, yet again, there is no communication from them to me and in the past whenever my internet has been down and I've called them, at some point after my call it works again and I have no idea if a tech actually did anything specific because of my call or if it just resolved itself, and TOT have no idea if my problem has cleared because, guess what, they never bloody follow up and call me to find out.

Anyways, it looks like it is a very localised problem and not affecting Ubon city etc. When I find out the cause (or their version of the cause cuz I doubt they are going to tell me "sorry, we needed the socket to plug in our TV every night") I will post here what they say in case anyone ever has a similar problem in the future.

When we first called to get TOT internet installed at our house, it took a week for them the run the wires to install internet and a telephone landline to the house. 6 months later we asked to have it disconnected because we were returning to South Korea. Now fast forward a year later, we return to back to Ubon.

All the infrastructure is still in place, I ask the wife to call and reconnect our lines.

They say they'll do it the next day. Nothing happens, I ask her to call again and 2 to 3 days later still no service.

So we go to their office and they promised my wife it will the next day. Needless to say nothing happens.

So we go again, we sit down, this time I stop my Thai wife from speaking. I said, I'm the paying customer here, now your going to deal with me. The rep now only wants to talk to the wife, I told him she doesn't work for TOT, you'll have to get your own translator. I spoke slowly, but clearly and I told him that each day your service man doesn't come and reactivate our service, then I will come and be sitting here at this desk demanding service the next day.

I will admit I never had any problems since the account has been activated. What does annoy me is that they will makes promises

which they will not even keep.

I'd reckon to build a ghost house in front of your place. Seems that some unsatisfied ghosts are using your internet when it's dark.

Is it possible that somebody in your neighborhood could have access to your line? You could also go to the technicians' room and check with one of them what could be wrong.

If they'd use the same switch they're using for their coffee maker, more people would be without internet.

Would be interesting to know what's causing that. Guess you'll have to tell them that you'll cancel your contract with them immediately if they don't do something.

post-108180-0-35042000-1352723000_thumb.

Edited by sirchai

Other people in this village on TOT lose their connection every night too. The only people here I've spoken to who have TOT are affected by this.

The same problem is still happening but it's turning off earlier and turning back on later every day.

TOT customer service are completely useless and nothing I say makes one iota of difference as all they will say is "I have referred your case to the local technician in Ubon and he will call you urgently" which he doesn't. Actually he called me this morning for the 2nd time in 2 weeks where I explained the problem to him again (in Thai) and my internet is still broken as is everyone else's in the village.

There is no choice but TOT where I live so right now I have the choice of 10 hours decent internet a day or no internet every day.

Other people in this village on TOT lose their connection every night too. The only people here I've spoken to who have TOT are affected by this.

The same problem is still happening but it's turning off earlier and turning back on later every day.

TOT customer service are completely useless and nothing I say makes one iota of difference as all they will say is "I have referred your case to the local technician in Ubon and he will call you urgently" which he doesn't. Actually he called me this morning for the 2nd time in 2 weeks where I explained the problem to him again (in Thai) and my internet is still broken as is everyone else's in the village.

There is no choice but TOT where I live so right now I have the choice of 10 hours decent internet a day or no internet every day.

Could it be that they'd installed a new TOT box and the electricity's coming from a line that feeds lights?

Switching you off when lights go on and switching you on when lights go off?

Would make perfect sense, as i do know how good the electricians here are.

If you can't get it solved take an "important" guy to TOT and talk to the manager. That will help, I'm sure. Good luck!!! w00t.gif

Edited by sirchai

Could it be that they'd installed a new TOT box and the electricity's coming from a line that feeds lights?

It will be something like this in reality however I doubt very much they will tell me the true cause once they finally fix it.

It honestly wouldn't bother me so much if anyone in TOT would just give me some feedback as to what is happening. I call every day when my internet goes off and it's just the same script with a different person. Still, you can't knock them for their answering service; I don't know any other company in the world, let alone Thailand, who will give you an English speaking rep on the 1st ring of their support line every single time, even though they are completely useless when all's said and done.

It will be something like this in reality however I doubt very much they will tell me the true cause once they finally fix it.

It honestly wouldn't bother me so much if anyone in TOT would just give me some feedback as to what is happening. I call every day when my internet goes off and it's just the same script with a different person. Still, you can't knock them for their answering service; I don't know any other company in the world, let alone Thailand, who will give you an English speaking rep on the 1st ring of their support line every single time, even though they are completely useless when all's said and done.

I'd take a Thai you know, who's well-known and in a high position to the TOT to talk to the manager. I'm sure that they'd do all to find the problem on the same day.

That's the way it works here, forget to call them. Good luck! wai2.gif