Making Friends In Bangkok

bobbysamuels

Evidently you haven't tried to make friends with your student's parents.Are they unworthy of your friendship or are you hiding something from them? I always thought that teachers were part of the community, not trying to have two totally separate lives.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK forget about the breasts. I was using it as a metaphor for sexy. A long time ago more than a couple of hundred years Thailand had an active P4P and P4Free, have a lot of fun and drink a lot, smoke dope and start useless wars kind of culture.

Look you'll find it. I am not into teaching sex today. Oh and I have seen enough old paintings removed from posts to know that old paintings get removed from posts.

My point is that what you're talking about isn't particular to long-ago Thailand, but nearly every culture historically where the organized religions didn't dominate the behaviour of the population, and the natural state of affairs has been reasserting itself where their influence has started to wane.

And I have exercised my google-<deleted> wrt 1400 AD in Thailand and haven't found anything relevant.

But never mind if you honestly think you'd get in trouble for mentioning whatever it is.

common sense, girls just love guys 40 years old who can barely walk, who cant get it up without a blue pill.

who have nothing really in common, its all the rage here.

nothing they want more then a fat wrinkly old sweaty man panting all over them.

40 is old?

dam_n, Im done for.

• Like 1

Evidently you haven't tried to make friends with your student's parents.Are they unworthy of your friendship or are you hiding something from them? I always thought that teachers were part of the community, not trying to have two totally separate lives.

it all depends what the community actually thinks of the teachers.

If he were at an international school he might have a bit o' cred, but he is at a cram school -- they have a habit of making the news.

• Like 1

Most families that can afford foreign teachers for their kids have the same kind of snobby attitudes wrt socio-economic status that many exhibit here.

And are rightly afraid of scandals affecting their own reputations if he turns out to be the typical sex- or drug- crazed expat.

Try going at from a French and Portuguese historical point of view. There is a significant difference between Thai behavior and the other countries in the region. Thais as far as I know were the first country to start the structured GF experience in that they had a set of laws governing these temporary liaisons between Thai women and merchant sailors. Also I think Thailand was the first country to have a large brothel (hundreds of employees) in SEA. But you find it because a lot of discussion about such things is counter new revisionist cultural beliefs. It is a lot easier for countries with a questionable past to re write history than explain it.

Christians 500 years ago and mainstream attitudes today have much more in common than differences.

Perhaps Thailand had a openly acknowledged and/or more regulated sex industry than other countries in the region during that period, maybe not I don't know.

But open acceptance of transactional sexual arrangements is certainly nothing special to Thailand nor Asia in general.

Nor does it have anything to do with the topic except that the OP does not like old men with young women which also has thousands of precedents in modern and ancient history. So he is not educated. So what's new. It is not like Thailand is a magnet for educated Western people eh?

• Like 1

Most families that can afford foreign teachers for their kids have the same kind of snobby attitudes wrt socio-economic status that many exhibit here.

And are rightly afraid of scandals affecting their own reputations if he turns out to be the typical sex- or drug- crazed expat.

But it's fine for the kids to be exposed. coffee1.gif

But of course you're right about the cults of Yahweh ("he who musters armies"). Everything about those religions is geared towards entrenched misery; but I guess it would be hard to muster armies out of happy folk.

take away the cash and watch her love quickly fade, or perhaps its amazing looks and personality she fell for.

And I'm sure Uncle Rupie and his wife know what they're doing, and the presumed fact that their relationship is more transactional than romantic is most likely the least of their transgressions from a moral POV.

Not to mention no one's business but their own.

I'd say that the fact that you've only made friends with 4 people and consider everyone here "Boring or Sex Crazed" that the problem lies with your social skills and not with Thailand.

Mate it ain't the quantity its the quality of friends i choose to have.

I rather have four great loyal and honest friends than 100 crazy selfish losers going no where fast

and i didn't mean to call people boring, i just don't understand why go to another country and not experience all the absolute cultural beauties it has to offer.

you only think they are sex-crazed because you came with your woman.

if you were here alone you'd likely see it differently

Even if i came here alone i wouldn't bother having to pay for it, wheres the fun if there's no chase involved. There are plenty of foreigners as well as english speaking thai girls when you go out to the touristy spots suck as RCA and Khao sarn road. All you gotta do is try, your never going to find a good woman or anything meaningful if you got to pay for someone to be with you, how do you expect to find a proper woman when all you do is chase around the prostitutes. And plus i got nothing against the older folks with girls, i just find it disgusting when some one is with someone that could be their grand daughter or even worst great grand daughter.

OK you are a luk krung who has come to Thailand to show off his Western ness. It freaks you out to see so many Thai women obviously enjoying themselves with old men without a care for your Western PCness. Get over it or go home. Thailand has been this way since 1400 AD. wai2.gif

Ok firstly i'm sorry i don't know what a luk krung is. My thai still isn't great but i'm learning. Secondly i'm actually half Thai, i just happen to be born and grew up in Australia and i now have Thai citizenship thanks to my uncle here, meaning i have more of a right to be here than you do. And finally i'm sorry if i offended you about being with a much younger Thai girl, i didn't mean to sound so judgmental (disgust was the wrong word), i'm just saying that in my opinion you could be much happier with someone around your age who actually may have a a few things in common with you, instead of someone who should really be going out with your grandson.

Ok firstly i'm sorry i don't know what a luk krung is. My thai still isn't great but i'm learning. Secondly i'm actually half Thai, i just happen to be born and grew up in Australia and i now have Thai citizenship thanks to my uncle here, meaning i have more of a right to be here than you do. And finally i'm sorry if i offended you about being with a much younger Thai girl, i didn't mean to sound so judgmental (disgust was the wrong word), i'm just saying that in my opinion you could be much happier with someone around your age who actually may have a a few things in common with you, instead of someone who should really be going out with your grandson.

I personally find it very hard to believe someone who is living in Thailand and is half Thai doesn't understand "luke khrueng" (does that transliteration help?) If not, it means "half Thai".

And your apology is accepted, but your presumption of what makes other people happy is IMO inaccurate, at least for those of us who value sex as sport as much as we do. Just because we get older doesn't mean the ideal age of a playmate changes, in fact for many it does down as we value the other aspects less.

And that's why there are so many of us here, as Thailand seems to have created itself around a marketing strategy to cater to our every need in a way no other country does.

Try going at from a French and Portuguese historical point of view. There is a significant difference between Thai behavior and the other countries in the region. Thais as far as I know were the first country to start the structured GF experience in that they had a set of laws governing these temporary liaisons between Thai women and merchant sailors. Also I think Thailand was the first country to have a large brothel (hundreds of employees) in SEA. But you find it because a lot of discussion about such things is counter new revisionist cultural beliefs. It is a lot easier for countries with a questionable past to re write history than explain it.

Christians 500 years ago and mainstream attitudes today have much more in common than differences.

Perhaps Thailand had a openly acknowledged and/or more regulated sex industry than other countries in the region during that period, maybe not I don't know.

But open acceptance of transactional sexual arrangements is certainly nothing special to Thailand nor Asia in general.

Nor does it have anything to do with the topic except that the OP does not like old men with young women which also has thousands of precedents in modern and ancient history. So he is not educated. So what's new. It is not like Thailand is a magnet for educated Western people eh?

Ok my mistake, i'm not saying that i don't like old men with young women, i just find it sad for both parties (the old man and the young woman). And just because there is ample cases in history does not make it morally correct to continue with. War is extremely common in the worlds history, do you approve of that too?

As for me being educated, just because you don't agree with my opinion does not make me less educated then you, only uneducated people turn to name calling when they come across a point of view they do not agree to instead of discussing it over and hearing the other parties opinion and points. I've finished my degrees and am now traveling around for a few years to get some life experience, what have you done with your life to make you so much more intelligent then me? Its very clear that you have no concept of the actual relevance of history and the fact that we should learn from it instead of repeating the same mistakes and using it as an excuse to keep our morals and values at a lower standard than what it should be.

And just because there is ample cases in history does not make it morally correct to continue with. War is extremely common in the worlds history, do you approve of that too?

I have a very hard time finding a parallel between the moral status of war and that of extreme age differences in relationships, so let's just stick to the latter issue.

I agree it doesn't happen often, but if an old man and a young girl meet in appropriate circumstances and actually genuinely fall in love and choose to marry, do you think there's a moral issue there?

Since I suspect that your "moral issue" is more likely to be the transactional basis of most of these relationships:

Do you think there is something morally wrong with a person choosing to use their youth and beauty to acquire money (or power, status whatever)? What about marrying for money or screwing the boss, as opposed to outright sex work?

For the sake of argument let's assume that both parties are aware of what's going on so there isn't any deception involved.

If you think that people do have the right to sell sexual services, then do you think there is something morally wrong with the customers partaking?

What about the idea of sex as sport, purely for pleasure, anything wrong with that from a "moral" point of view?

And if you do you really think "morality" is involved with any of these issues, do you really consider them in the same category as issues like lying, stealing, actually causing harm to others?

Not going so far as violence, much less war of course. . .

Ok my mistake, i'm not saying that i don't like old men with young women, i just find it sad for both parties (the old man and the young woman). And just because there is ample cases in history does not make it morally correct to continue with. War is extremely common in the worlds history, do you approve of that too?

As for me being educated, just because you don't agree with my opinion does not make me less educated then you, only uneducated people turn to name calling when they come across a point of view they do not agree to instead of discussing it over and hearing the other parties opinion and points. I've finished my degrees and am now traveling around for a few years to get some life experience, what have you done with your life to make you so much more intelligent then me? Its very clear that you have no concept of the actual relevance of history and the fact that we should learn from it instead of repeating the same mistakes and using it as an excuse to keep our morals and values at a lower standard than what it should be.

OK let me guess you have a degree in Psychology or Criminal Justice or Political Science and have come to Thailand to teach English. I know because engineers don't usually say goofy stuff (my wife is an engineer and also has a degree in accounting). You have decided that older men with younger women is immoral have you? You feel sad for a 70 year old man cavorting around with an educated, beautiful, talented and rich young woman half his age? Now what standard do you think my morals should be? You really think age is a more important determiner of compatibility than education, experience, travel and disposition? You want me to sleep with a 70 year old woman just because she is 70 years old and it fits your warped sense of morals? Just who the heck do you think you are to go around setting age limits and moral standards for consenting adults in Thailand?

And just because there is ample cases in history does not make it morally correct to continue with. War is extremely common in the worlds history, do you approve of that too?

I have a very hard time finding a parallel between the moral status of war and that of extreme age differences in relationships, so let's just stick to the latter issue.

I agree it doesn't happen often, but if an old man and a young girl meet in appropriate circumstances and actually genuinely fall in love and choose to marry, do you think there's a moral issue there?

Since I suspect that your "moral issue" is more likely to be the transactional basis of most of these relationships:

Do you think there is something morally wrong with a person choosing to use their youth and beauty to acquire money (or power, status whatever)? What about marrying for money or screwing the boss, as opposed to outright sex work?

For the sake of argument let's assume that both parties are aware of what's going on so there isn't any deception involved.

If you think that people do have the right to sell sexual services, then do you think there is something morally wrong with the customers partaking?

What about the idea of sex as sport, purely for pleasure, anything wrong with that from a "moral" point of view?

And if you do you really think "morality" is involved with any of these issues, do you really consider them in the same category as issues like lying, stealing, actually causing harm to others?

Not going so far as violence, much less war of course. . .

Yes i do thinking marrying for money, screwing your boss for an employment advantage is wrong, those examples right there is exactly what is wrong with society's way of thinking. Just because things are the way they are, doesn't mean that they should be. but no i don't think the transaction side of things are is wrong, I understand that these girls need to make ends meat and they are doing what they need to do to survive, but what i'm getting at about the moral issue is from the side of the gentlemen. I am not saying that a 70 year old has to be with a seventy year old or even a 60 year old, all i'm saying is a 70 year old with a 25 year old can't really have anything in common (in most cases). All i was saying is that wouldn't you be happier in the long run for the remainder of your life if you were with someone who understands you or has some of the same interest as you? Most of these girls can barely understand what you are saying to them half the times. What does this teach your children? That sex and shallowness trumps true and meaningful relationships with the opposite sex, and that a women is only as good if she is still young ?

And as sex for sport, definitely no problems there, but sex shouldn't be more important than integrity.

Again i am not saying you must be with someone your own age, just some one who you can actually have a real relationship with.

as for violence, stealing, lying and etc... ok well these are definitely a lot worst then what we are talking about, but it isn't hard to teach kids not to break the law, but it is a lot harder to teach them about social morals and to grow up with the correct beliefs and values to make them a better person for their future families.

Could you honestly say that you would have no problem telling your kids to find some sex toy a quarter of your age rather than do the hard yards and find something that may lead to some actual meaningful emotions?

Edited by bobbysamuels
  • Like 1

to changmai kelly

What i'm saying does not apply to everyone, and so if you have found someone who actually genuinely wants to be with you and not your money, then great (but this case is extremely rare). I am not setting age limits at all, all i'm saying is that a 70 year old in most cases, doesn't have much in common with a 25 year old. Its nothing to do with age but rather compatibility and in most cases what your in to and your personality has to do with your age. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

• Like 1

to changmai kelly

What i'm saying does not apply to everyone, and so if you have found someone who actually genuinely wants to be with you and not your money, then great (but this case is extremely rare). I am not setting age limits at all, all i'm saying is that a 70 year old in most cases, doesn't have much in common with a 25 year old. Its nothing to do with age but rather compatibility and in most cases what your in to and your personality has to do with your age. I'm just calling a spade a spade.

You wrote, "but this case is extremely rare." How long have you lived in Thailand _____? How many Farang men do you know who are 70 years old with 25 year old wives ______? How many 25 year old Thai women who don't speak English do you talk to well enough to know what they like or don't like_____?

to changmai kelly

You wrote, "but this case is extremely rare." How long have you lived in Thailand _____? How many Farang men do you know who are 70 years old with 25 year old wives ______? How many 25 year old Thai women who don't speak English do you talk to well enough to know what they like or don't like_____?

ok i haven't lived here that long, but i am half thai with a big thai family who have lived here all there lives. They have been teaching me thai and from their social circles as well as the thai english teachers thai i have met, they all say that most 25 year old girls who are with older men are generally bar girls without much education (of course there are exceptions o the rule). You should see what is said about the older farang men with girls that are 25. A educated thai girl from a well off family (not rich, just able to survive comfortably) will avoid being or going out with older farangs just because of the stigma and unfortunately the truth is farangs are still seen as outsiders and the locals only portray and act a certain way towards the farangs. Its clear as day that a 25 year old girl rather be with someone her age, purely from the fact that they want similar things. At 25 most people are wanting to start families and progress with their careers or even experience new things such as travel or even party, but what does a 70 year old want?

In the end of the day your at a different stage of your life to them and the reason they put up with it is purely because they need the financial support. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, its just common sense. But like i said, there are exceptions but not very often. If you think otherwise then you are naive.

to changmai kelly

ok i haven't lived here that long, but i am half thai with a big thai family who have lived here all there lives. They have been teaching me thai and from their social circles as well as the thai english teachers thai i have met, they all say that most 25 year old girls who are with older men are generally bar girls without much education (of course there are exceptions o the rule). You should see what is said about the older farang men with girls that are 25. A educated thai girl from a well off family (not rich, just able to survive comfortably) will avoid being or going out with older farangs just because of the stigma and unfortunately the truth is farangs are still seen as outsiders and the locals only portray and act a certain way towards the farangs. Its clear as day that a 25 year old girl rather be with someone her age, purely from the fact that they want similar things. At 25 most people are wanting to start families and progress with their careers or even experience new things such as travel or even party, but what does a 70 year old want?

In the end of the day your at a different stage of your life to them and the reason they put up with it is purely because they need the financial support. It doesn't take a genius to figure it out, its just common sense. But like i said, there are exceptions but not very often. If you think otherwise then you are naive.

Most of the people reading this forum live in or know Thai people very well. Remember you said a few posts back that you didn't know what Luk Krung meant. Take that into consideration when we read what you have posted above, " i am half thai with a big thai family who have lived here all there lives. They have been teaching me thai" Sorry Bobby it does not wash. All of us know that luk krungs are the apple of every Thai's eye when a baby. No way you would not know that word if you were half Thai. And all of your other information and writing skills are second hand and second rate. Nope you don't pass the smell test. Sorry Bobby you are a phony.

to changmai kelly

Most of the people reading this forum live in or know Thai people very well. Remember you said a few posts back that you didn't know what Luk Krung meant. Take that into consideration when we read what you have posted above, " i am half thai with a big thai family who have lived here all there lives. They have been teaching me thai" Sorry Bobby it does not wash. All of us know that luk krungs are the apple of every Thai's eye when a baby. No way you would not know that word if you were half Thai. And all of your other information and writing skills are second hand and second rate. Nope you don't pass the smell test. Sorry Bobby you are a phony.

well thats fine for you to think that mate, but just because i'm half thai doesn't mean i can speak it fluently. I've lived in WA Aus my whole life and my we don't speak thai back at home, i've only been learning Thai for 6 months, so besides from your everyday conversation i'm not really equipped with rare Thai terminology. When it comes to terminology such as luk krung and etc you would beat me hands down, but because of my family here i get an inside look to what Thai's really think and talk about.

Anyways, like i've said before all of this is just my opinion and what i have heard from Thais and noticed, it doesn't have to apply to all cases.... but if you really think that i'm wrong just take a look at the educated side of Thailand not just the bar girls and what they tell you

Again, none of this was meant to cause offence, just to challenge different opinions.

well thats fine for you to think that mate, but just because i'm half thai doesn't mean i can speak it fluently. I've lived in WA Aus my whole life and my we don't speak thai back at home, i've only been learning Thai for 6 months, so besides from your everyday conversation i'm not really equipped with rare Thai terminology. When it comes to terminology such as luk krung and etc you would beat me hands down, but because of my family here i get an inside look to what Thai's really think and talk about.

Anyways, like i've said before all of this is just my opinion and what i have heard from Thais and noticed, it doesn't have to apply to all cases.... but if you really think that i'm wrong just take a look at the educated side of Thailand not just the bar girls and what they tell you

Again, none of this was meant to cause offence, just to challenge different opinions.

Rare!!!! 1. Luk krung is among the first words a Thai family would teach a luk krung. Like right after " does it eat spicy food?" 2. Your whole family speaks English well enough to describe young Thai prostitutes and old White guys to you? Your family in Thailand talks to you in English about 25 year old Thai prostitutes and old white men? I gotta tell you my Thai family have known me for way more than 10 years and never has that word been mentioned. Never. Stop. Period. Never.

So now you know. Some things are never discussed by a good Thai family. I have taught in Thailand on a college level so I guess I have looked at Thailand from the educated side.