What Motorbike Whould You Buy For Safety / Confort And ...

kaizoku

I need help to choose my motorbike.

This is now more than 3 month that I keep renting mine because I can't make a decision.

Important criteria :

1) Safety !!! I want to feel safe, good break, tires (big wheel better than small ?). what else ?

2) Confortable for the passenger.

3) Handy to drive in city (90% of my driving).

4) Reliable (no chiness lifan ...)

5) Good resell value.

6) Somathing to put/lock one (or two better) helmet as I have a real helmet and not the cheap one.

What I tried :

* I was going to buy a Honda phantom, but after few test drive I understood that I don't like it, this is too heavy and not handy in traffic jam.

* Then I tried the Honda CBR, but my wife is really not happy on the back.

* I'm renting a Honda click for few month, this is accetable but not fantastic. I would really prefer to have gear.

So I start to think that there is no motorbike in my budget range (let say up to 80 000).

I will rent the pcx for a test drive, I don't like the look but maybe this is a good compromise.

What would you advice ?

PCX is the best one. Best smaller engine scooter I have ridden. Great handling, great brakes, good suspension, good tyres, storage space, and comfortable. Can do longer tours on them no problem. The only problem I found with the PCX, was that it is just a little sluggish off the line, but once the revs are up and you in the 50kmph+ zone they go really well.

Click, Mio. Nouvo etc. are OKish, but front forks tend to bottom out easy on hard breaking, rear suspensions is generally for small Thais, mirrors and brakes aren't as good as the PCX,

Important criteria :

1) Safety !!! I want to feel safe, good break, tires (big wheel better than small ?). what else ?

I don't think this criteria can ever be met in Thailand,

(and a front wheel flat on a small bike is lethal at nearly any speed, unlike a big bike)

Other than that, PCX

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

I just buy a Yamaha Nouvo SX 2013, and I driving for 2 week now, and I must say I LOVE IT

I have Honda AirBlade before But the stupid combo-brake is highly dangerous! DiskBrake in front and a Drum back ,you can imagine when drum brakes are a little worn!

Happen to me, (only brake on the front wheel).

You have a lot of space under the seat and it drive very cheap and quiet, and it is nice looking to

The Light is extremely good if you driveing night time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDp0D9wLYP0

Tom/

If your got 80k to spend do yourself a favour and buy a PCX. The only problem I have with mine is the rear suspension is only adequate for a falang 97kg and GF 45kg. But I have a pair of aftermarket suspension units for the back so that problem will be solved!

I just buy a Yamaha Nouvo SX 2013, and I driving for 2 week now, and I must say I LOVE IT

I have Honda AirBlade before But the stupid combo-brake is highly dangerous! DiskBrake in front and a Drum back ,you can imagine when drum brakes are a little worn!

Happen to me, (only brake on the front wheel).

You have a lot of space under the seat and it drive very cheap and quiet, and it is nice looking to

The Light is extremely good if you driveing night time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDp0D9wLYP0

Tom/

You do no it's not difficult to adjust the drum brake....don't ya?

You do no it's not difficult to adjust the drum brake....don't ya?

Exactly what I was thinking. On the mother in law's '09(?) Airblade I keep the brake tensioned properly, because as we all know most locals just let things go, and it's easy enough to lock the rear wheel.

On the other hand if the other boardmember had actually wore his rear brake down to nothing...no, there's no excuse there for blaming the manufacturer nor the system either.

As an aside, the PCX (family has the 125cc model) is nice enough, but I simply can't stand that hump. Budget for a reconfigured seat if you're of any height. Also the dashboard lights are ungodly bright...to the point I could look down and see the name brand stitched onto my button down in an otherwise perfectly dark night.

If you can get past the somewhat bulbous look, probably the PCX is your best bet.

Some may quibble about the linked brake system, some don't like the seat, etc.

But bottom line it meets all your parameters.

I own a Wave 100 and a CBR250, so I am not an automatic scooter owner.

But I have several friends who own PCX's, and they are all very happy with the bike.

Good luck, and let us know what you decided on. smile.png

Thank you all for your advice,

From what was said above, we can conclude that the PCX is what people advise me.

This is unfortunately what I thought. I have an a priori negative on the PCX, but to be objective, I will rent one to get an idea.

To sumarize so far :

Automatic :

1) PCX (77 k)

2) Yamaha Nouvo SX 2013 (price ??)

3)

Manual :

1)

2)

3)

To sumarize so far :

Automatic :

1) PCX (77 k)

3)

Manual :

1)

2)

3)

When you say manual do you mean full manual?

as in having a clutch lever?

Because if so your pretty much looking at the CBR or ER etc.

But if you meant semi auto? clutch-less gear changes

then you have more options

On your first post in this threads checklist I would say the Wave125i also checks all boxes.

A lot depends on what is the usage for the bike going to be?

If it is a grocery getter etc. The under seat storage will be nice for that & the helmet storage

you mentioned.

We have one for that reason. One helmet fits under the seat the other helmet we lock in the front basket.

You can fit an amazing amount of groceries under the seat & you still have the front basket too.

That aside a main reason for me was the taller wheels & decent power. With my wife & I on it

the bike cruises easily at 80kph. A down shift to 3rd is great for passing, It has tons of torque

to the point you can easily take off from lights in 2nd gear or even lug 3rd at slow speeds without complaint.

But again depends what you want the bike for.

Edited by mania

When you say manual do you mean full manual?

as in having a clutch lever?

Because if so your pretty much looking at the CBR or ER etc.

You're right, we need clarification here.

I'm use to full manual, I never tried semi-manual.

I like to ERn but not in my budget range for now.

About CBR, my wife doesn't like it.

Let's include into manual the clutch-less gear changes so there is more options.

My usage of the bike will be prety much for daily use, short ride in a dense urban environment (very dense rush hour).

Go for small grocery (2/3 plastic bags), pick up my wife at work ...

I will use the bike several times per day.

I also plan to buy a cheap 2nd hand car for bigger grocery and to take the dog out (vet, beach ...)

But I don't want to use the car most of the time (too much traffic).

I have 2 helmet middle range price (1500 baht) but shining new, so I can't let them on the motorbike.

Automatic :

1) PCX (77 k)

3)

Manual & semi manual :

1) Wave125i (?? k)

2)

3)

I wanted a bike to fit the same criteria - and decided that the PCX was ideal ..... then went out and bought a Keeway RKV 200. I just prefer a 'real' motorcycle but did not want the size, weight or costs of 650 and was put off the D-Tracker and Honda CRF by the tiny fuel tanks and poor seat. I really like the RKV and it's been reliable - but logic tells me that an auto like the PCX would really be better for the city. But we don't ride for logical reasons.

My usage of the bike will be prety much for daily use, short ride in a dense urban environment (very dense rush hour).

Go for small grocery (2/3 plastic bags), pick up my wife at work ...

I will use the bike several times per day.

I also plan to buy a cheap 2nd hand car for bigger grocery and to take the dog out (vet, beach ...)

But I don't want to use the car most of the time (too much traffic).

For what you list I like the Wave125i

about 55k with electric start

about 49k without

Can easily carry the 3 bags under the seat

Dense areas it is easy to split lanes without clipping car mirrors

Pick up wife from work as I do great on gas!

Like you I have a truck too for long travel or big hauls

But the Wave gets used many times a day & cannot be beat

for parking & travel times within a city while you bypass

gridlocked cars etc.

Good Luck

An alternative to the Honda Wave 125i is the Suzuki Axelo R. 125cc fuel injection, auto clutch . Feels quicker than the Wave. Good build quality with alloy wheels and front and rear disc brakes. Nice GSXR colour schemes, storage under the seat for a helmet.

Interesting

If there is one thing I would add to the wave it would be a rear disc

Edited by mania

If your considering a semi-manual, maybe you should look at Suzuki. Never spoken to a Suzuki scooter owner that isn't happy with it. Because of that I purchased a Suzie Smash for up country. It's only 110cc but they also have 125cc models. The GF and I go from just near Wang Sai Phun across to Phichit and back (80km round trip) and it goes great. Out of deference to it's newness I sit on 80-85 and it happily hums along. The seat is a bit hard....but that's not a problem considering it's only our one week every other month up country ride.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll buy the motorbike next week. After thinking a lot about it, I still hesitating between several models, but I have already eliminated a lot.

I wanted a real motorcycle but I understand that there is nothing matching my taste and my price range in Thailand. So I decided to go for a standard motorbike.

After few try I feel that the semi manual are very annoying to drive (question of habits probably) so I'm decide to go for a full automatic.

I want a 125CC to feel confortable when I drive with my wife and I don't want anything looking girly like the fino.

now about the initial criteria.

1) Safety

2) Confortable for the passenger.

3) Handy to drive in city (90% of my driving).

4) Reliable (no chiness lifan ...)

5) Good resell value.

6) Good storage (Helmet in).

Let's start with the point 5 so we can choose Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki.

what is left :

Honda

PCX - No I don't like it.

Click (quite a lot of differente model).

Yamaha

Novo SX

Mio 125

Suzuki

Hayate 2012

Nex

Skydrive

I think this is prety much all, maybe I forget some model

Some of you (Hellstens) seems really happy with the novo sx.

Personally I drive an old Honda click and I'm happy with it.

I don't know anything about the Suzuki models.

Today I went to the shop and look at the Honda click. Price is from 46k to 52k.

Honda click (46k) :

Fuel injection

Helmet in

Honda click (50k) :

Alloy wheel (is it realy better ?)

Combo-break (some poeple seems happy with this, some no).

The 52k include :

Idling stop (cost 2k more and save 7% fuel according to this ) If to spend 1000k fuel/month I will save 850bath, so it will take 2year and half before I start to really save money.

What I like with the click is the helmet in and the flat bottom.

I will go to other shop this week and try to compare the other model.

i used to ride a scooter , until i encountered a deep ridge in the road,

due to the small dia wheels , i could not steer out of it , and off i came ,

luckily for me the traffic behind , took action to avoid going over me.

fkc the scooters , and their small wheels .

ok , the phantom is heavy , but it is built like a brick sht house .

coffee1.gif

Honda Wave 110i AUTOMATIC

Not the "semi-auto" with gear lever, I mean the "full-auto"

Moderate new-price

2.5l/100Km

17" wheels

undestructable

Starts always on the first push, even if you parked it for some months.

Not the fastest (~100 KM/h), but an absolutely safe ride.

Cheap to modify ("Big-Bike" tires/rims, rear disc brake, engine tuning if necessary)

And size does matter....

I have had several Mio's, Clicks, Finos, Scoopy's.....but compared to a Wave (size), they are all "kid's-bikes"

Otherwise, I like the Mio's powerful 125cc engine, so if you are not much more than 175 cm, go for the Mio 125.

Edited by Turkleton

Moderate new-price

2.5l/100Km

17" wheels

undestructable

Cheap to modify ("Big-Bike" tires/rims, rear disc brake, engine tuning if necessary)

And size does matter....

I have had several Mio's, Clicks, Finos, Scoopy's.....but compared to a Wave (size), they are all "kid's-bikes"

Otherwise, I like the Mio's powerful 125cc engine, so if you are not much more than 175 cm, go for the Mio 125.

Why the 110i ?

Would have thought the Wave 125 Fi Automatic would have been better, new early this year........ Friend bought one a few months ago, she says is much better than her old 110i she had before.

Moderate new-price

2.5l/100Km

17" wheels

undestructable

And size does matter....

Why the 110i ?

Would have thought the Wave 125 Fi Automatic would have been better, new early this year........ Friend bought one a few months ago, she says is much better than her old 110i she had before.

i think the wave 125 is not automatic .... http://www.aphonda.co.th/honda2012/aphonda-product-list.asp