Stop Insulting And Judging Ppls If You Dont Know Them

bannok society

How did you learn the very offensive, belittling, judgemental term - retard ?

Whatever the authenticity of the OP's assumed identity, the point remains an excellent and valid one.

And yours helped me find this on wiki, to me quite relevant to the "F-word" debate:

The terms used for this condition are subject to a process called the euphemism treadmill. This means that whatever term is chosen for this condition, it eventually becomes perceived as an insult. The terms mental retardation and mentally retarded were invented in the middle of the 20th century to replace the previous set of terms, which were deemed to have become offensive. By the end of the 20th century, these terms themselves have come to be widely seen as disparaging and politically incorrect and in need of replacement. The term intellectual disability or intellectually challenged is now preferred by most advocates in most English-speaking countries. Clinically, however, mental retardation is a subtype of intellectual disability, which is a broader concept and includes intellectual deficits that are too mild to properly qualify as mental retardation, or too specific (as in specific learning disability), or acquired later in life through acquired brain injuries or neurodegenerative diseases like dementia. Intellectual disabilities may appear at any age. Developmental disability is any disability that is due to problems with growth and development. This term encompasses many congenital medical conditions that have no mental or intellectual components, although it, too, is sometimes used as a euphemism for MR. Because of its specificity and lack of confusion with other conditions, mental retardation is still the term most widely used and recommended for use in professional medical settings, such as formal scientific research and health insurance paperwork.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IME the people from Isaan are the best of Thailand. Warmhearted and generous. Down to earth. You will never go hungry in Isaan.

Many people like to say bad things about the people there. Let them and then those who know the way things are there can continue to enjoy it in peace.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

It is a sad fact that the mud-slingers tend to be those who have limited experience of Isaan girls who have taken the bar-girl route. From this small proportion of Isaan people, they claim to know all about Isaan. Very sick. Very sad. Their posts say far more about the posters and the lives they lead. Sheer ignorance.

My wife's from Nakorn Sawan so she's sort of a dark complexioned in-betweener ... in fact she's very often mistaken for a Burmese, and Thais will often speak to her in english (or, at times, just ignore her presence).

As for me, I can walk behind an Isaan girl and go 'wow'. I might also meet a hi-so girl and go 'wow'.

The shape of their nose, colour of their skin, education or profession makes no difference and I would certainly never stoop in the other direction of dissing someone just for being what they are. I'm not Tom Cruise either (but I wouldn't expect people to be following me around commenting on how ugly I am)

Maybe you have had a bad experience and are simply venting OP? I know ignorant, narrow-minded tourists who go to Thailand with preconceived notions can often be very judgmental, but GENERALLY speaking I don't believe MOST expats are like that. Some Thais are though (ask my wife).

Because of its specificity and lack of confusion with other conditions, mental retardation is still the term most widely used and recommended for use in professional medical settings, such as formal scientific research and health insurance paperwork.

Thanks for that. As stated here, no matter what you call it, it always turns into an insult. "Mentally challenged" is now a term of derision, just like the word retarded has been for a long time. Why not just stick with mental retardation as it has been in common use for so long and is still used by the medical community?

Edited by Ulysses G.

And keep in mind within Thai culture it's normal and accepted that the "higher" (wealthier, whiter-skinned, urban, educated) openly express disdain for the lower (poorer, darker, rural, uneducated), considered the normal way of things.

However since we are supposed to be if not "above" this hierarchy - as in, not participating not in level - let's say outside it, or in some cases (bar hopping whore mongering "losers") well below it.

Therefore any Thai, high or low will be insulted if observing foreigners doing the same. "Hey those are our kwai baanawk how dare you insult them!".

Remember we're guests here, even to the "lowest" of our hosts.

And keep in mind within Thai culture it's normal and accepted that the "higher" (wealthier, whiter-skinned, urban, educated) openly express disdain for the lower (poorer, darker, rural, uneducated), considered the normal way of things.

However since we are supposed to be if not "above" this hierarchy - as in, not participating not in level - let's say outside it, or in some cases (bar hopping whore mongering "losers") well below it.

Therefore any Thai, high or low will be insulted if observing foreigners doing the same. "Hey those are our kwai baanawk how dare you insult them!".

Remember we're guests here, even to the "lowest" of our hosts.

If the bar hopping mongering losers were below the Thais one would think they bar owners would let the Thais in to the bars but they don't. I know a lot of Farang who feel like second class mongers because the they can't get into the Japanese style mongering bars in Thailand.

Erm, so you're saying "lets keep out of it" while participating in it yourself...?

Actually that was sarcasm, sorry I didn't make it clear I was just reflecting the judgmentalism I see in some circles, not least among the conservative Thais not profiting from us "sinners". For myself, I am "Mr live and let live" and would never actually consider anyone a loser for any reason.

Sometimes my tolerance is stretched by people being intolerant, but I'm working on it.

Edited by BigJohnnyBKK

I thought you above this 'guest' garbage ........

Nobody invited us here and we have to pay to stay, therefor we aren't guests.

Again, talking about their attitudes more than mine.

Think about a deep-South (US) community that lynches its black men.

It will still get upset at a yankee carpet-bagger coming in and insulting the blacks in its community. "Hey those are our (n-words)". Only the locals are allowed to be elitist/classist/racist, not the foreigners.

But as an aside I do think it most productive to enjoying my time here to go along with the view that we should be respectful of our host culture's idiosyncrasies, and even its idiocies.

as i said before i have an isaan lady, but please do yourself a favour and rip into the isaan ladies who are giving the good ones a bad name.

they are in the minority but god dam_n there are so many disgracing themselves and there nation.

most and i really do mean most are ok, but isaan really does have a problem, and this is coming from an isaan lover.

greed and lack of morals seem to be spreading over the region quite a bit, this is not good for those good girls who suffer because of those bad ones.

Edited by payak

But as an aside I do think it most productive to enjoying my time here to go along with the view that we should be respectful of our host culture's idiosyncrasies, and even its idiocies.

And I'm of the opinion that as I pay to be here, they have to go along with my culture and idiosyncrasies.

My recipe is to mix different ingredients to get a dish that suits my needs.

• Like 1

@bannok society

First off, welcome to the forum, seems like the other posters didn’t realize that you were new. Usually TV members welcome newbies with open arms, but that may go against the message of the OP in this case.

I really must compliment you on your English and the use of words like surgical, retards, etc. in your OP. The fact that you spelt foreigners correct only once must have been a slip, but the OP comes across just fine.

I am assuming that your husband is from the UK, or at least you have spent time there (“in uk you ll get into he trouble immediately if u said someone is fat), so I have to ask, why didn’t your husband hear the insults that you heard and more, why didn’t he respond to them? Can’t understand that part!

Anyway, good first post, and hope to see more! Just a couple of points:

1. With your understanding and use of English, it would be much better approaching the persons making these comments and politely saying to them: “Excuse me, I couldn’t help overhearing your point of view, would you please explain what you mean?” or words to that effect. That will really mess them up.

2. Never generalize! There are many people on this forum who would never dream of making comments about anyone in public, let alone a Thai girl from Issan (I assume this is where you are from because of all the references to here in your OP) being seen with a foreigner.

Perhaps because of 2., you are receiving some negative reactions from other posters..................thumbsup.gif

IME the people from Isaan are the best of Thailand. Warmhearted and generous. Down to earth. You will never go hungry in Isaan.

Many people like to say bad things about the people there. Let them and then those who know the way things are there can continue to enjoy it in peace.

Sent from my GT-P1000T using Thaivisa Connect App

I would agree with you on this, certainly I have found Issan people to be fine. There are if course wrong uns, same everywhere.

we dont have an issue with issan girls, yes many make poor comments, they are ignorant and judging of isaan girls because the majority of bar girls are from isaan but they foolishly forget its the minority of isaan girls that do this, like you foolishly blaming most farang for the thoughts and actions of the minority.

Just to point out the majority of all Thais, everywhere are from Issan.

Also to point out in the soapy massage places in CM, no girls at all from Issan, all have light skins.

(Not that I've ever been in one you understand)

we dont have an issue with issan girls, yes many make poor comments, they are ignorant and judging of isaan girls because the majority of bar girls are from isaan but they foolishly forget its the minority of isaan girls that do this, like you foolishly blaming most farang for the thoughts and actions of the minority.

Also to point out in the soapy massage places in CM, no girls at all from Issan, all have light skins.

All! All? You have seen them all?smile.png Even the part time place where the housewives go while the laundry is being done? biggrin.png That's a lot of women. wai2.gif

i dont have to spell it out, you know there is a problem.

All! All? You have seen them all?smile.png Even the part time place where the housewives go while the laundry is being done? biggrin.png That's a lot of women. wai2.gif

There are only 3 soapy massage in CM, catering for a Thai clientèle..

(one by the station, one by the British consulate, one at the end of Nimenhiman)

CM housewives club is not a soapy.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

There are only 3 soapy massage in CM, catering for a Thai clientèle..

(one by the station, one by the British consulate, one at the end of Nimenhiman)

CM housewives club is not a soapy.

And they all have light skins? What about Lek, and Nan, and Knot, and Jem, and Meow from, well you know by the hotel parking?