Avg Free

Rimmer

Update file is damaged, please use the other update file.

So far this error message has happened to me on both my computers running AVG, one last week and one just now. I have tried using “the other file” but there isn’t one on the free AVG version. I have also done a remove and re install but still the problem persists. The alternative seems to be to take out a string of code from the registry and update manually. Or buy the full version.

My solution on the first computer to exhibit this message was to install Avast which at first glance appears to be a better product anyway.

In view of this happening two times on two separate computers I wonder if this is a pre programmed event with AVG free to make you buy their product. They already have false positives in so far as they find Java files that pose no threat and can not be removed anyway on the free version so what’s the story?

The only other thing I can think of is that IPStar is loosing some data on it's way down to me because I've had a few problems before with downloaded files being incomplete, usually stuff over 5 mb but never on small virus update files.

We use AVG on all the PC's and server in our office and I have only had the problem you describe once in the last three or four years. It only happened on the server but it updated without problem the next day. We update the files every morning on all the PC's and have never had any real problems with AVG (toudh wood!)