Solo Around The World

LaoPo

Don't know if this is in the right topic....?

Very interesting website about the attempt of American Steve Fossett in the Virgin Atlantic Global Flyer to fly solo around the world in about 80 hours.

You can even track live, where he is at the moment!...just about to leave the Arabic hemisphere.

It's likely that he will pass the northern countries of Thailand, coming from Bangladesh.

Have a look:

http://www.virginatlanticglobalflyer.com/Home/index.jsp

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

Don't you think they could strip down a commercial plane, put in a big gas tank, set the flight computer for the flight plan around the world, put one pilot on board and let 'er rip? The pilot could probably sleep most of the time and other pilots in the area on commercial flights could give him a wake up call if it looked like he was heading into severely bad weather. Just wondered...anyone know?

Steve can show the youngsters a thing or two................Go Fella ...GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.... :D

Right on.....It's the guys like Steve Fossett and Sir Richard Branson (Virgin) who dare to challenge the limits.....and make dreams come thru where millions of kids (and Men :D ) are dreaming of.

Hope Steve makes it :o

Good work!

LaoPo

What would YOU do to stay awake for 80 hours.....?

see results at the poll regarding Steve's flying...

""""

What would you do to stay awake for 80 hours?

So far, the votes polled so far on this topic are:

Fantasise about real food 1.3%

Have power naps like Steve 64.0%

Imagine yourself at the world's loudest concert 8.7%

Listen to music 6.8%

Talk to yourself 10.3%

Tape your eyelids open 8.6%

LaoPo

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

tHE rICH BASTARD :D

:D:D:D

I agree. :o

:D I know...I know....Rich Bastards always envy the poor ones :D

Flying over China (decided to leave the poor Farangs in LOS on the right-hand-side :D )....scheduled to pass Shangai at 22.30hrsUTC

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

WHO CARES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

tHE rICH BASTARD :o

:D:D:D

You may care to care if you think about it.

Sure he's rich and it may seem like a rich man's folly but it's guy's like him that have broken records and helped develop the very things that make it easy for us to do things.... like fly around the world on the cheap.

So without people pushing limits like this we may still all be sitting where we were born.....and never even had a thaivisa forum...

Make no mistake, even though the word get's bandied about at every opportunity these days, these guy's are real hero's

There is an even more interesting project by the swiss balloonist Bertrand Piccard who did the first non-stop round the world balloon flight with Brian Jones.

Bertrand Piccard homepage

The project named SOLARIMPULSE :

around the world with a solar airplane.

. A revolutionary airplane, capable of taking off under its own power and flying day and night without fuel or exhaust pollution

. A scientific adventure serving the environment and writing a brand new chapter in the history of aviation with solar energy.

All details here: Solar Impulse

Not only a matter of record, but a great effort in research for the future. :D:o:D:D:D

In transit over the Pacific...it takes more than 16 hours to cross the ocean...still a long way to fly.

Speed: ca. 339 knots

Next sight of land will be Baja Peninsula (North American continent,, south of California).

From website:

".....Baja Peninsula in Mexico. Flying over Corpus Christi in Texas and St Petersburg and Orlando in Florida, Steve will do full circle in his journey and fly over the Kennedy Space Centre where he began his flight all those hours ago. The last stretch will involve flying south of Newfoundland in Canada, over Shannon in Ireland before entering England, flying over Southhampton and Dover before landing at Kent International Airport in Manston."

LaoPo

Edited by LaoPo

It looks like he will be passing over Nth Thailand...

Don't throw any coke bottles out of the window for god's sake!

LOL Bung!!! :D:D Straight out of the God's Must Be Crazy movie (one of my all time favs;) Of course it's the people that probably make the "god's" crazy... :o:D

Great stuff Lao Po, keep the updates coming- I'm a fan of Branson's/Fosset's adventures and just if anyone cares, they're using a new lightweight super hard composite, which if successfull, could lighten the overall weight of future aircraft and dramatically save on fuel as well as reduce ticket prices. Not such a bad thing. :D

Edited by baht&sold

It looks like he will be passing over Nth Thailand...

Don't throw any coke bottles out of the window for god's sake!

LOL Bung!!! :D:D Straight out of the God's Must Be Crazy movie (one of my all time favs;) Of course it's the people that probably make the "god's" crazy... :o:D

Great stuff Lao Po, keep the updates coming- I'm a fan of Branson's/Fosset's adventures and just if anyone cares, they're using a new lightweight super hard composite, which if successfull, could lighten the overall weight of future aircraft and dramatically save on fuel as well as reduce ticket prices. Not such a bad thing. :D

Thank you!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to get that!

Your right, there is a lot of cutting edge technology going into this and other similar adventures that have a direct impact on our lives.

Same as formula 1 and the like.

The people who like to dismiss it would probably be the first to complain when they go deaf sitting in a old propellor driven plane made out of corrugated iron on long hauls.

Thank you!

I was beginning to wonder if anyone was going to get that!

Your right, there is a lot of cutting edge technology going into this and other similar adventures that have a direct impact on our lives.

Same as formula 1 and the like.

The people who like to dismiss it would probably be the first to complain when they go deaf sitting in a old propellor driven plane made out of corrugated iron on long hauls.

I agree; we should have more respect for people like these!

Some people take everything for granted and have no clue how much effort is done, worlwide, to improve and invent things...let's not forget that without great new inventions (Internet for example or Airplanes) we would not have been able to communicate (Thaivisa :D ) with each other or travel so easy and fast...!

In 1934 ! the state of Victoria/Australia wanted to celebrate its 100 years of existence and organized an AIR-RACE between London and Melbourne..

The DC2 of Dutch' KLM airline won the race, in October 1934, and flew the 19.877 Km's in 90 hours and 17 minutes but the actual NET flying time was just 71 hours and 28 minutes an incredible achievement, some 70+ years ago. :D

The DC2 'Uiver' with crew

Arriving back in Amsterdam after winning the Race London-Melbourne

Sadly enough the DC2 'Uiver', just 2 months after the victory crashed into the Iraqi desert, on its way to Batavia (Jakarta)/Indonesia; no survivors.

December 21, 1934.

It is not without achievements (and accidents), setting goals and inventions that we can communicate and travel around the world these days in an eyes' blink :D

LaoPo

:o Frightening sometimes...

from the website:

Steve frightened as turbulence hits

Send to a friend

This article is printer friendly

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Steve has admitted that during a period of "severe" turbulence he feared a wing might break and had put on his parachute in case he had to abandon the plane mid-air.

The tubulence occurred approximately 14:30UTC Thursday as he flew over Bhophal in India. Although Steve informed Mission Control about the turbulence and said he was "uncomfortable" he did not let the team know the full extent of the trouble.

It was only later in the evening that he revealed he had put his parachute on and that the turbulence had been a frightening experience.

Steve said: "I was afraid it was going to break up. It was a scary time and I had my parachute on and I was prepared to bail out in case a wing broke."

The aircraft feels turbulence four times more than a commercial aircraft would. Due to the fragile nature of the Virgin Atlantic GlobalFlyer there is a possibility that severe conditions could damage the plane and break a wing.

Although the turbulence is behind him, the remainder of the flight will be a challenging experience. Steve said: "I still have a lot to worry about."

By Amy Abrahams

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LaoPo

Onya Lao Po!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D ur my HERO

Thank you for the compliment....:o you're so friendly :D to much honour for a humble person like me :D

LaoPo

Forgive me Lao Po. I was assuming this was a wealthy blokes thing to burn up some millions. Glad to read it has a positive purpose.

( I am friendly- really I am!) :D