Thais And Their Dogs.

rics21

What is it with the Thai culture and their dogs?

I been in many countries/ cities. There are always animal control departments to control stray dogs/ cats population. The massive craze in Thailand to have numerous pet dogs, feeding stray soi dogs, etc.

The difference of dogs here and the dogs in the western society is that most Thais don't care for their dogs as much. They are against brutality against dogs but most of their pets dogs are untrained and undisciplined.

I have a neighbour who has 3 dogs. And he usually bathe them once a month. The dogs bark all night, shit all over the streets (when they are out of his house).

There are also those who likes to feed stray dogs with their leftover rice/meat/whatever. The "food" is normally placed in a plastic bag, and left in the corner of the street.

So who is it to get rid of the plastic bags when the dogs finished their meal?

To me, a large majority of the dog loving Thais are just hypocrites.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

• Like 1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"that most Thais don't care for their dogs"

Do most Thais train, eh, care for their kids that much? TV (oops, eh, Television!)has to do it.

It's the same, I think. As long it is nice and lovely, and it can't get away, fine.

But why bother, to go after?

How many dogs have to live on tiled dooryards?

And feeding 'Soi Dogs' is really not bad! Actually, it's a good thing, in my eyes.

Only not to take care the medical part, to castrate/sterilize them, too, makes it worse. With every litter of puppies!

Thais don't seem to have a lot of empathy for animal suffering. I see soi dogs that have been run over and dragging themselves pitifully along the ground or hobbling with a broken leg. Also dogs with such bad mange that they a hairless. It breaks my heart as a dog lover to see animals so badly neglected.

there are some papers that tell that soi dogs are already a own kind of breed and "wild" animal that is moving fast thru evolution. They are exceptional smart and very resistant to diseases that kills normal dogs.

Pretty interesting.....

yes it brakes heart, but ask yourself about the pigs at CP meat factories? They live far worse than the street dogs. Or does the living conditions of the rats in Bangkok break your heart? Just they aren't as cute as dogs....

• Like 2

When somebody complains about soi dogs in Thailand, i always think about my travels in India.

In comparison, Thai dogs have a great life, no joking !

I have a problem with dogs though, when they attack me while i'm riding my motorbike, that's awfully dangerous.

Edited by mauGR1
  • Like 1

Thais don't seem to have a lot of empathy for animal suffering. I see soi dogs that have been run over and dragging themselves pitifully along the ground or hobbling with a broken leg. Also dogs with such bad mange that they a hairless. It breaks my heart as a dog lover to see animals so badly neglected.

Its something i worry about, if one of my 2 dogs gets hurt badly beyond recovery its almost impossible to let them put down. Sad case actually but against their Buddhist beliefs. Might have to find a way to do it myself then. Just hope i never have too.

• Like 2

Its something i worry about, if one of my 2 dogs gets hurt badly beyond recovery its almost impossible to let them put down. Sad case actually but against their Buddhist beliefs. Might have to find a way to do it myself then. Just hope i never have too.

I tthink Thai vets will sell you Nembutal to allow you to put down your own dog.

• Like 1

I tthink Thai vets will sell you Nembutal to allow you to put down your own dog.

That would be a comfort, these are my first dogs ever and one is quite old. I just worry about stuff like that. Because like you i can't stand to see an animal suffer like that.

• Like 1

When somebody complains about soi dogs in Thailand, i always think about my travels in India.

I have a problem with dogs though, when they attack me while i'm riding my motorbike, that's awfully dangerous.

you are too slow.....(I actually don't know how fast a Thai dog can do, but I guess over 40 km/h there won't be many who are fit enough to catch you.

you are too slow.....(I actually don't know how fast a Thai dog can do, but I guess over 40 km/h there won't be many who are fit enough to catch you.

Yep, we all know that to be safe on Thai roads we have to go faster and faster.

( Sorry for a little sarcasm, i could not help to avoid it)tongue.png

To be honest its part true.. when i first started riding my bike i was slow and stayed in the most left lane. Was in far more dangerous situations then and had many near misses of busses taxi's and minivans cutting and stopping.

Later i went faster and not on the most left lane and at the speed of traffic and i had lot less problems.

But dogs if they lie in ambush can still catch you. My dog almost caught me a few times with his friendly running to my bike. It is a good way to tire him out though biggrin.png . I don't do that much though else it looks like im training him to chase motorbikes.

To be honest its part true.. when i first started riding my bike i was slow and stayed in the most left lane. Was in far more dangerous situations then and had many near misses of busses taxi's and minivans cutting and stopping.

Later i went faster and not on the most left lane and at the speed of traffic and i had lot less problems.

But dogs if they lie in ambush can still catch you. My dog almost caught me a few times with his friendly running to my bike. It is a good way to tire him out though biggrin.png . I don't do that much though else it looks like im training him to chase motorbikes.

Ok then, if i go faster i can easily avoid attacking dogs, but the chances to hit a whole family on a motorbike coming out abrubtly from a soi increase esponentially, not to talk about sharp curves spreaded with sand and gravel, and scattered with potholes of all size and depth .

It's a bloody road in the true sense of the meaning...

..Ok end of the rant smile.png

• Like 1

Ok then, if i go faster i can easily avoid attacking dogs, but the chances to hit a whole family on a motorbike coming out abrubtly from a soi increase esponentially, not to talk about sharp curves spreaded with sand and gravel, and scattered with potholes of all size and depth .

It's a bloody road in the true sense of the meaning...

..Ok end of the rant smile.png

Then id advise not to go fast. have you been bitten by dogs so far ? Many times its just posturing of them. My dogs go wild when the postman comes and the gate is locked. However when he comes and the gate is open they wont do a thing (ok he is scared shitless when the check him out).

Also when i got my dog on a a leash he will growl and bark at other dogs like he wants to kill them, i let off the leash and he will approach them carefully. (and sometimes chase them), but nothing like the reaction when he is on the leash.

It always makes me laugh, in my moo baan there is a pack of soi dogs which are ok as they don't seem too wild. In fact they are having the time of their lives. Why? There are 3 separate people who feed them every day! All of them thinking they are the only ones to give these poor dogs some food. They are the happiest dogs around! There are even puppies now, the food is so plentiful.

Then id advise not to go fast. have you been bitten by dogs so far ? Many times its just posturing of them. My dogs go wild when the postman comes and the gate is locked. However when he comes and the gate is open they wont do a thing (ok he is scared shitless when the check him out).

Also when i got my dog on a a leash he will growl and bark at other dogs like he wants to kill them, i let off the leash and he will approach them carefully. (and sometimes chase them), but nothing like the reaction when he is on the leash.

Never been bitten so far (touch wood ).

I noticed the other day, that one black little monster who used to attack motorcyclists in the proximity of a sharp curve, has finally been muzzled by the owner.

See, not all Thai dog owners are unresponsible, although i guess he had to pay damage compensation for some accident provoked by his dog.

Never been bitten so far (touch wood ).

I noticed the other day, that one black little monster who used to attack motorcyclists in the proximity of a sharp curve, has finally been muzzled by the owner.

See, not all Thai dog owners are unresponsible, although i guess he had to pay damage compensation for some accident provoked by his dog.

I make sure my dog is not a burden to others, but he does walk free a few times per day. But i keep a sharp ear out for trouble and if something happens ill compensate. But this is inside a muh bahn not next to a road or something like that.

Once they get back i check if the took a dump on the street, if so i take care of it. Don't see many other owners do that. Though there was one who's dog always dumped in front of my house (must be a territory thing) and he saw me take it away. Since that time i see him walk with a bag too.

• Like 2

There are various soi dog foundations around, some which are run by foreigners in thailand. You can donate and help their activities treating sick animals etc.

Good video on youtube if you search

"Soi dog foundation"

• Like 1

That would be a comfort, these are my first dogs ever and one is quite old. I just worry about stuff like that. Because like you i can't stand to see an animal suffer like that.

Most Thais will just leave their old dogs in temples.

Sent from my XT910 using Thaivisa Connect App

There are various soi dog foundations around, some which are run by foreigners in thailand. You can donate and help their activities treating sick animals etc.

Good video on youtube if you search

"Soi dog foundation"

We have an old dog and he is getting weaker and weaker and sick more and more often. Every time we have to take him to the vet we're afraid that he won't make it back home.

So my wife does merit for him by sending money to dog charities. It may sound stupid and childish, but every time she asks me if I want to give something too, I reply whatever you give add the same for me.

• Like 2

Yes it upsets me as well, we have had animals that needed to be euthanized as they were suffering terribly with no hope of being cured and impossible to find a vet that would 'end their suffering'. Our neighbors had a cat with a terminal condition and had to do it themselves at home with the cat knocked out with sleeping pills, then finishing it off with the cat in a plastic bag and car exhaust, when a simple injection from a vet would have ended both the cat's and the owner's suffering.

Yet, on the other hand, you see Thais pampering their little fufu dogs like babies, taking them with them in cars, on motorcycles and professionally groomed.

'The land of smiles' is really 'the land of contradictions'

Take a picture, pin it at the fence :'Only motocycles with extra loud pipes'

Maybe it will help, in your area?

Edited by noob7

Yes, in western countries we are much more civilized, we gather up all the stray dogs and kill them.

There was a thread a while back full of guys whining about vets not wanting to kill animals. If you love them so much, why don't you kill your own dogs? Why pay someone else to do it for you?

More often them not, people have their animals put down when caring for them get to be too much trouble, too messy or too expensive, the animals never volunteer.

If the animal is suffering that bad, why wouldn't it just run out in the road and end it all? If you really love them that much, and think killing them is the humane thing to do, then man up and kill your own dog.

• Like 1

If the animal is suffering that bad, why wouldn't it just run out in the road and end it all? If you really love them that much, and think killing them is the humane thing to do, then man up and kill your own dog.

Sure if you're a farmer, most urban people don't have experience with such matters.

Sound like a vegetarian telling people they should take responsibility for the meat they eat. ..

Sell you Nembutal? It's a Schedule II controlled drug and I highly doubt that any vet will dare sell it.

Schedule II,

a category of drugs considered to have a strong potential for abuse or addiction but that also have legitimate medical use. Included are opium, morphine, and cocaine.

Yes, in western countries we are much more civilized, we gather up all the stray dogs and kill them.

There was a thread a while back full of guys whining about vets not wanting to kill animals. If you love them so much, why don't you kill your own dogs? Why pay someone else to do it for you?

More often them not, people have their animals put down when caring for them get to be too much trouble, too messy or too expensive, the animals never volunteer.

The reason people in western countries take their animal to the vet to be put down is because a vet can do it painlessly. How do you suggest somebody kill their own animal? Hit it on the head with a hammer, cut it's throat? BTW, the animal is usually suffering after it's run out in the road and been hit by a vehicle. Animals don't commit suicide. Also, in most western countries there are very few stray dogs compared to Thailand, dogs have to be registered and most people have their dogs and cats desexed.

• Like 1