The Green Tara In Thai Buddhism

sailaway2000

I have a friend in the US who has helped me greatly over the years.

She has a profound affinity for the Green Tara http://www.religionfacts.com/buddhism/deities/tara.htm .

Is the Green Tara revered in Thai Buddhism? Are there any statues or other representations?

I would love to send her something related to her as a gift.

Thanks

Mark

I think you'll find this is a Mahayana deity. The only female deity I've seen here is Mae Torani, the earth goddess who supposedly protected Buddha at his enlightenment from Mara's armies with water. She's the one with water flowing from her hair, usually braided and over one shoulder. Most Thais don't even know who she is. But you never know what you'll find if you go looking. Good luck on your divine mission :)

There are Green Tara statues and paintings around the larger cities, you just have to keep looking for them. Yes, the Green Tara is a diety from the Mahayana sect. Thailand is mostly Theravada Buddhism and we don't have many diety's. Actually, I can't think of even one. But don't stop looking on my account, I'm betting you'll run into one somewhere.

Edited by khaowong1

In Chieng Mai I have seen a few shops owned bij Indians, not far from the night bazar, 2-3 shops next to each other, all of them sold many statues, like tara, kuan yin, laksmi, ganesh, etc etc.

Sorry, I can not tell you where, but somewhere behind the Meredien Hotel