Death Of A British Citizen In Thailand

mallet36

You cannot undertake the deceases financial and estate matters, and cannot arrange or complete a funeral for a college without proper authorisation either from the next of kin or the Thai authorities.

Wherever this tragic man’s body now lies and whatever assets he had during the date of his death, is now the burden of the Thai authorities and if none of his associates or friends in Thailand know of the whereabouts or are unable to contact any next of kin, than there is nothing to do but leave the matter until a decision is made by those of authority in charge of this case.

It`s simply and legally not anyone elses problem.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Left the UK in 1974 without any family so now he has some ?

Perhaps you're not a native English speaker?

Family including for inheritance purpose can include a third cousin, the adopted son of my mother's sister, whatever, not necessarily direct wife/children siblings etc.

• Like 1

i dont believe they ever release bodies to anyone else but blood relatives.

so you are left holding your own memorial while the state cremates. if the deceased in question "made it out of the hospital" by some act of god to be cremated at a temple before friends, consider him lucky.

Edited by jacktrip

A word of caution, please be sure to advise the hospital holding the body that it will be claimed. There will be storage charges. The UK embassy may also request an autopsy to verify the cause of death which is why they are not going to encourage a quick disposal. The embassy has to investigate the death to determine that it was not suspicious.

The reason I mention the clear instructions to the hospital is so that the body is not classified as unclaimed. There is a protocol for dealing with unclaimed Thais and they usually are given over to a charity that has a quarterly cremation for assumed Buddhists. Unclaimed foreigners can be given over to teaching facilities. It is not supposed to happen quickly but there is a shortage of cadavers in Thailand, so the bodies that are unclaimed or abandoned can "disappear" after some time.

Dear wordchild we are not going to try to take money from his account but as said the money we have collected is fast running out so who will pay the Britsh Embassy, I really don,t think so.His long term girlfriend will need to go to court to get his assets as thet weren't legally married

Why should his girlfriend be allowed to take a dead man's money,incredible!How can you make such an outrageous statement?

You also want to cremate him without allowing the British Embassy to see if he has next of kin,to repatriate his remains to?

This story stinks,there is something very wrong going on here!

the only thing wrong here is you are sitting behind a keyboard taking shots at a guy who is trying to help a dead workmate and his partner

It seems from all of the threads I have read on TV that the British Embassy is absolutely the worst when it comes to helping it's citzens.

5 years ago when I was backpacking through SEA I had my carry on bag stolen. My return ticket was stolen among other things. I went to the U.S. embassy in Bangkok, and they bent over backwards to help me out.

They arranged for replacement credit cards to be mailed to the embassy overnight. They also called the Airline and sorted out the whole ticket thing for me.

I've read too many horror stories about the British Embassy.

It seems from all of the threads I have read on TV that the British Embassy is absolutely the worst when it comes to helping it's citzens.

5 years ago when I was backpacking through SEA I had my carry on bag stolen. My return ticket was stolen among other things. I went to the U.S. embassy in Bangkok, and they bent over backwards to help me out.

They arranged for replacement credit cards to be mailed to the embassy overnight. They also called the Airline and sorted out the whole ticket thing for me.

And now you understand why they take the piss out of us every chance they get. Green with envy.

And yet my perception is that the Brits seem to expect a much higher level of service than we yanks do.

I'm happy and grateful for whatever help I might get, while they seem to see it as some sort of right and get all indignant when the service doesn't meet their expectations.

Does the British Embassy and the TV posters writing about it give you sleepless nights?

Left the UK in 1974 without any family so now he has some ?

Perhaps you're not a native English speaker?

Family including for inheritance purpose can include a third cousin, the adopted son of my mother's sister, whatever, not necessarily direct wife/children siblings etc.

Yes I am, he left in 1974 and has never contacted anyone in the UK since, so do you think anyone will be bothered if he's dead or alive?

Does the British Embassy and the TV posters writing about it give you sleepless nights?

I had twin boys 3 days before my friend died so they are giving me more sleepless nights anyway we cremated him on Thursday evening and it was a good send off

If the Embassy say that you can't do this then you must stop the cremation.

And do what? He died on Saturday night, leave his body where?? Outside the British embassy on the pavement. I don,t think so. He has told us he has now family in the world, we were his only family at our school, what can we do?

you know. Lots of people say stuff that arent true.

Really , just let your boss deal with it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No offense but you are arguing with people here on a forum..........................lol.

You are a "see you next tuesday" by the way let me know when you figure out what it means

Yes I am, he left in 1974 and has never contacted anyone in the UK since, so do you think anyone will be bothered if he's dead or alive?

Bothered or not the law makes it their responsibility and no one else's, except as a last resort government bureaucrats.

Thanks for the object lesson for all of us to plan ahead responsibly so as not to leave our friends and other loved ones behind to clean up our messes for us.

• Like 1

he left in 1974 and has never contacted anyone in the UK since, so do you think anyone will be bothered if he's dead or alive?

If the deceased made no will and anyone other than the next of kin or without official authorisation has helped themselves to any of the guy’s estate, whether in whole or in part has committed a criminal act of theft. Thieves, pure and simple.

Although you allege that there has been no communications between the deceased and his UK family or friends since 1974, no one can know that for sure. And you will be surprised that when there is money involved, how quickly the guy’s ever loving, ever caring family will appear on the scene.

Like the song, there maybe trouble ahead, lets face the music and dance.

Listen to the words very carefully.

Edited by Beetlejuice
  • Like 1

Aahh, daddy long legs and twinkle toes, don't think anyone will ever come close ever again.

Thanks for the reminder have to download all these for my kiddies to see, we love dancing together but I don't think I've ever shown them stuff at this level. . .

he left in 1974 and has never contacted anyone in the UK since, so do you think anyone will be bothered if he's dead or alive?

If the deceased made no will and anyone other than the next of kin or without official authorisation has helped themselves to any of the guy’s estate, whether in whole or in part has committed a criminal act of theft. Thieves, pure and simple.

Although you allege that there has been no communications between the deceased and his UK family or friends since 1974, no one can know that for sure. And you will be surprised that when there is money involved, how quickly the guy’s ever loving, ever caring family will appear on the scene.

Like the song, there maybe trouble ahead, lets face the music and dance.

Listen to the words very carefully.

Sure he was pretty much a closed book when it came to his family. He told us all he didn't have any and we believed him. His girlfriend has been given his schools life insurance and money left over from donations from parents so she is going to be OK for a while

And yet my perception is that the Brits seem to expect a much higher level of service than we yanks do.

I'm happy and grateful for whatever help I might get, while they seem to see it as some sort of right and get all indignant when the service doesn't meet their expectations.

It's all Lord Palmerston's fault.

In theory if he's a British citizen who's died intestate and who has no surviving relatives his estate belongs to the Crown although I'm sure they won't be chasing that. Anyway it's good to know that he got a good send off. Good on you, mallet!

• Like 2

In theory if he's a British citizen who's died intestate and who has no surviving relatives his estate belongs to the Crown although I'm sure they won't be chasing that. Anyway it's good to know that he got a good send off. Good on you, mallet!

It's posts like this I want to save and bin the rest,thanks

Sorry Endure I was trying to say thank you but it came out wrong please forgive me!

If you're basing your assumption on your own expectations i'm not surprised!

Edited by evadgib

If you're basing your assumption on your own expectations i'm not surprised!

And what assumption do you think he's making here? You don't have to go far in this forum to find brits bitching about their embassy. Think there might be a few threads running on that topic right now and they get 1000's of views.

Sorry Endure I was trying to say thank you but it came out wrong please forgive me!

No problem. I understood what you meant. I think you've done more than could be expected of you and are to be congratulated.

And what assumption do you think he's making here? You don't have to go far in this forum to find brits bitching about their embassy. Think there might be a few threads running on that topic right now and they get 1000's of views.

That's as much to do with the British propensity for a good moan as it is about service by our Embassy smile.png

• Like 2