Buying A Computer In Thailand

xandreu

I'm thinking of buying a MacBook Pro while I'm here on holiday as its about £700 cheaper than the UK.

I've never bought anything so expensive while abroad and was just wondering if there was anything I need to watch out for?

It's from one of those ibeat stores (apple resellers) and the guy said he has them with a UK keyboard and I'd be able to claim 7% tax back at the airport. How easy is this? The guy said he'd give me the form. Is it just a case of handing it to them at the airport and they give you the money in baht?

Also I'm guessing I'd have to make it look like I took it with me when going back through uk customs else they'll charge me some sort of vat? I really know nothing about this kind of thing.

The guy also said the apple warranty was international in case it developed any faults.

Seems like a good deal to me but just thought I'd get others opinions before diving in...

Thanks in advance

So... you REALLY think that you can get a MacBook Pro (wich range from £800 to £2'000 approx here in Switzerland) with £700 rebate and still hope to get a real one and not a "good copy"? You really expect any of the SW you get in Thailand to be an original and not a black market copy? If everything is original... well, maybe that machine fell off a truck by accident... That's for one

For your information: Every electronic branded item in Thailand - from mobile phones to cameras to computers - is at least in the same price range as if you buy it in your home country... normed by the brand... so every such special offer definitely is not legit.

With regards to bringing it to the UK, if they check you, the following can happen:

- customs checks serial number, it's a stolen good => will get confiscated and you're in DEEP shit...

- customs checks serial number, it's a fake => will get confiscated and you are in bit troubles

- customs checks, find's it to be new, charge you with VAT on the full UK price, not the Thai price, will charge you for smuggling...

And what ever you do... better don't have ANY buyers receipt or VAT reclaim copies with you... customs loves that kind of stupid smugglers who keep the receipts... and don't underestimate customs... you tell them you bought it in the UK, they will ask you where and ask for the receipt and if you don't have it... see above point 3...

Sorry I got my sums wrong a little. It's actually (if you take into account the 7% tax refund) £400 cheaper than the UK price which means the actual laptop is the same price as everywhere else in the world but I'd be saving myself the 20% VAT I'd be paying if I bought it in the UK. (assuming I wasn't stopped in customs)

Sorry I got my sums wrong a little. It's actually (if you take into account the 7% tax refund) £400 cheaper than the UK price which means the actual laptop is the same price as everywhere else in the world but I'd be saving myself the 20% VAT I'd be paying if I bought it in the UK. (assuming I wasn't stopped in customs)

Just take it back with you. UK customs wont bother you, think about it, they would be asking for proof of purchase for every laptop, piece of gold, rolex watch.. etc etc they will not be interested, rolleyes.gif

Don't know about your job, but i would not risk a criminal conviction for smuggling in my record, just to save few 100 pounds... buying (legit) electronic stuff does not make sense in Thailand, only in the US of A. And then, you can safe money even when you go through the red channel, but not if you buy in Thailand. Prices on legit brand staff is too high due to the high import taxes the Thai charge when the stuff comes into the country.

• Like 1

Just take it back with you. UK customs wont bother you, think about it, they would be asking for proof of purchase for every laptop, piece of gold, rolex watch.. etc etc they will not be interested, rolleyes.gif

If the custom isn't too dumb, they easily will see, where you bought it:

6175305318_e2a7815733_z.jpg

Minimum they know, you didn't buy it in the UK or elsewhere in Europe!

It's the customs, stupid.... what do you think they do with all the people in the green channel that they check... tell them "oh, you have no receipt, you can't tell us anymore where you bought it for what price... but you have such lovely blue eyes, we belive you..."???

Giving an advice to smuggle something and risk a conviction is among the most stupid things I can imagine...

For your information: Every electronic branded item in Thailand - from mobile phones to cameras to computers - is at least in the same price range as if you buy it in your home country... normed by the brand... so every such special offer definitely is not legit.

This used to be the case years ago but not anymore. Nowadays quite often brand name products are very competitively priced here. An example would be Korean televisions. There is a huge business developed in Thailand recently supplying tvs to South Asian visitors that hand carry them back home. You can be sure that Indians aren't buying in large numbers if the price isn't right.

With regards to bringing it to the UK, if they check you, the following can happen:

- customs checks serial number, it's a stolen good => will get confiscated and you're in DEEP shit...

- customs checks serial number, it's a fake => will get confiscated and you are in bit troubles

- customs checks, find's it to be new, charge you with VAT on the full UK price, not the Thai price, will charge you for smuggling...

If UK customs checked every laptop carried in the queue would be so long there wouldn't be anywhere to park the aircraft.

I said in the post that they have them with only UK keyboards (not thai and US combined as your picture)

If UK customs checked every laptop carried in the queue would be so long there wouldn't be anywhere to park the aircraft.

True... but somehow they seem to smell the sweat of fear of people who smuggle stuff... specially first timers and the OP seems to be one... otherwise he would not need to ask wink.png

So... you REALLY think that you can get a MacBook Pro (wich range from £800 to £2'000 approx here in Switzerland) with £700 rebate and still hope to get a real one and not a "good copy"? You really expect any of the SW you get in Thailand to be an original and not a black market copy? If everything is original... well, maybe that machine fell off a truck by accident... That's for one

And what ever you do... better don't have ANY buyers receipt or VAT reclaim copies with you... customs loves that kind of stupid smugglers who keep the receipts... and don't underestimate customs... you tell them you bought it in the UK, they will ask you where and ask for the receipt and if you don't have it... see above point 3...

Copy what?? There are no copies in Apple reseller stores in Thailand. I think you been reading too many novels.

• Like 2

Warranty problems

If the MacBook is legit and the OP get's the warranty papers stamped and signed, then he can get warranty in every apple shop. But then again... smuggling something and having documents to prove that you are smuggling is not so clever...

Giving an advice to smuggle something and risk a conviction is among the most stupid things I can imagine...

This is plain ridiculous. The guy is just buying a laptop off someone else <deleted>. He's not stealing anything. Customs in UK won't give a toss. And yes he can just show it at BKK airport and get the VAT refund if the correct forms are filled at the shop of purchase. Personally I would never buy a Mac anyway, but find your remarks that could relate to any brand of tech ludicrous. 'nuff said!

• Like 1

Xandreu, go ahead. You're unlikely to have any problems from one of those Apple resellers. I've bought quite a few Apple items in BKK for other people and never had any issues.

Make sure you take your passport to the shop because they will need to to complete the VAT refund form. Check it before you leave to make sure all the details like passport number are correct.

The VAT refund counter at Suvarnabhumi is just inside the entrance to departures quite near to either door 4 or 5 (near Thai Airways check-in). Customs will probably want to see the laptop. After that it is pretty quick.

If you're nervous about UK customs, make sure there isn't any obviously new packaging with the accessories etc. Personally I wouldn't give the customs thing a second thought.

• Like 1

Xandreu, go ahead. You're unlikely to have any problems from one of those Apple resellers. I've bought quite a few Apple items in BKK for other people and never had any issues.

Make sure you take your passport to the shop because they will need to to complete the VAT refund form. Check it before you leave to make sure all the details like passport number are correct.

The VAT refund counter at Suvarnabhumi is just inside the entrance to departures quite near to either door 4 or 5 (near Thai Airways check-in). Customs will probably want to see the laptop. After that it is pretty quick.

If you're nervous about UK customs, make sure there isn't any obviously new packaging with the accessories etc. Personally I wouldn't give the customs thing a second thought.

I second that.

And to make sure it's legit, you can check the serial number yourself in the shop before buying it and also attempt a software update. Problem solved.

I said in the post that they have them with only UK keyboards (not thai and US combined as your picture)

Nope, you said, "the guy said he has them with a UK keyboard."

That's a big difference, here in Thailand! Minimum it can be a big difference.

It can be, that 'the guy' only has another 'guy', who can change the keyboard to an UK only one. On request and maybe not genuine.

So, in case, you haven't seen it yourself, till now: Don't be surprised, if you have still some Thai on the keyboard!

Edited by noob7

I also said I was buying it from one of the iBeat stores here which are authorised Apple resellers. You talk as if I'm buying it from a guy I met in a bar. Obviously I'd make sure it had the right keyboard before I bought it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a US keyboard rather than UK but for the money I'd save it's not a big deal.

A sensible reply from someone who bothered to read my post properly before replying.

Thanks. I'm going to go for it... :)

Don't know about your job, but i would not risk a criminal conviction for smuggling in my record, just to save few 100 pounds... buying (legit) electronic stuff does not make sense in Thailand, only in the US of A. And then, you can safe money even when you go through the red channel, but not if you buy in Thailand. Prices on legit brand staff is too high due to the high import taxes the Thai charge when the stuff comes into the country.

If he's stopped by customs he has the choice of paying whatever duty is due or having the laptop confiscated. He won't get a criminal conviction just a nasty shock to the wallet.