Thai Officials Rescue 600 Smuggled Cobras

webfact

Whilst I think Cobras are rife and not endangered, what is the difference between a truck full of chickens, pigs or cobras no matter what their fate?

Some (King Cobra) is actually on the endangered species list!

What is the goal for getting them off the endangered list and onto the extinct list?

How much you want to bet next flood season we see a headline about 600 Cobras escaping into flood waters.

Are you on drugs?

You want a species extinct, because you don't like them?

Are you aware, what would happen, if all the Cobras in Thailand would vanish tonight?

Especially in the rural areas you would have rat- desaster in no time and a lot of other snakes (usually the food of the cobras) crawling everywhere.

And for the flood question: WE built our houses on THEIR natural habitat!

Live with it!

If you are trying to funny: try harder!

• Like 2

Whilst I think Cobras are rife and not endangered, what is the difference between a truck full of chickens, pigs or cobras no matter what their fate?

I'll agree partially. I usually see several cobras in my yard every year, but they are not raised to feed people as are the other animals you mention. They are part of the local ecosystem.

I would move ! Hate them things, lol

How much you want to bet next flood season we see a headline about 600 Cobras escaping into flood waters.

Are you on drugs?

Are you aware, what would happen, if all the Cobras in Thailand would vanish tonight?

Especially in the rural areas you would have rat- desaster in no time and a lot of other snakes (usually the food of the cobras) crawling everywhere.

Live with it!

No, I am not on drugs (at least not at the time of this posting but may have been with the original post).

Yes, I want this species extinct, at least in the wild.

Yes, I am aware and would be pleased to see them gone. I believe the UK only has one poisonous snake species left and it is becoming endangered. I also think Ireland has no snakes at all. Life would go on just fine without poisonous snakes in the wild.

Actually, we (humans) are the dominant species and any place we choose is now our habitat. You are welcome to invite snakes, rats, flies, mosquitoes or cock roaches into your home out of some equal rights or PETA based moral mentality but not me. I try not to kill unwanted intruders in my home but if it is something that I may shoe out of the house and turn around and injure or kill a child then chances are it ain't making it out of my home alive.

Edited by Nisa

Since the snakes are not endangered and some law prohibits inter-country transport of live snakes, I would imagine that the snakes will be put to death.

The smugglers should have just slaughtered the snakes in Malaysia, vacuum sealed the meat, put them on ice and had the packages shipped to their final destination. It sounds like that would have been completely legal.

Are you on drugs?

Live with it!

No, I am not on drugs (at least not at the time of this posting but may have been with the original post).

Yes, I am aware and would be pleased to see them gone. I believe the UK only has one poisonous snake species left and it is becoming endangered. I also think Ireland has no snakes at all. Life would go on just fine without poisonous snakes in the wild.

Actually, we (humans) are the dominant species and any place we choose is now our habitat. You are welcome to invite snakes, rats, flies, mosquitoes or cock roaches into your home out of some equal rights or PETA based moral mentality but not me. I try not to kill unwanted intruders in my home but if it is something that I may shoe out of the house and turn around and injure or kill a child then chances are it ain't making it out of my home alive.

Okay....I will do it slowly, just for your understanding:

..who said anything about having them in my home?

How many dead children per year through Cobra- attacks? Come on...you know it, there must be a Wiki- statistics somewhere, that you can quote! And while you are on it: how many dead by...let's say...road accidents?

Does the word "perspective" mean anything to you?

You don't mind if they are extinct?

Ever had the funny idea to ask yourself, why it is called "ECO SYSTEM"?

...and what happens if one part of this system fails...what happens next?

Dominant species? Not all of us, I guess!

• Like 2

The latest estimates suggest that around 5.5 million people are bitten by snakes each year, resulting in around 400,000 amputations, and up to 125,000 human deaths including 15k to 20k per year in Indian alone . Asian Cobra -- While not the most venomous snake on the planet, the Asian cobra tops the list by causing the most deaths .

The latest estimates suggest that around 5.5 million people are bitten by snakes each year, resulting in around 400,000 amputations, and up to 125,000 human deaths including 15k to 20k per year in Indian alone . Asian Cobra -- While not the most venomous snake on the planet, the Asian cobra tops the list by causing the most deaths .

...your point being?

Also from wikipedia: More than 20 families are currently recognized, comprising about 500 genera and about 3,400 species

My question to you was: how many CHILDREN die each year through COBRA- attacks?

Not how many people in the whole wide world are bitten by some kind of snake, somewhere.

Just forget it...I know your tactics and I begin to wonder, why I even bother talking to you!

Are you on drugs?

Live with it!

Okay....I will do it slowly, just for your understanding:

..who said anything about having them in my home?

How many dead children per year through Cobra- attacks? Come on...you know it, there must be a Wiki- statistics somewhere, that you can quote! And while you are on it: how many dead by...let's say...road accidents?

Does the word "perspective" mean anything to you?

You don't mind if they are extinct?

Ever had the funny idea to ask yourself, why it is called "ECO SYSTEM"?

...and what happens if one part of this system fails...what happens next?

Dominant species? Not all of us, I guess!

I agree with you! Well said. As I said in an earlier post, I have seen them around my house for years. They've never come in, but my dog alerts me to any snake and had killed quite a few over the years unfortunately. I try to get her to let them go on their way... Cobras alert you as well. They hiss quite loudly. They really don't want to waste their energy on defending themselves from humans and pets.

Edited by Jimi007

...your point being?

Also from wikipedia: More than 20 families are currently recognized, comprising about 500 genera and about 3,400 species

Not how many people in the whole wide world are bitten by some kind of snake, somewhere.

Just forget it...I know your tactics and I begin to wonder, why I even bother talking to you!

One death by snake bite is one death too many, Bozo. There are no snakes in Ireland and there were no snakes in Alaska where I used to live and the environment did just fine. Kill every stinking poisonous snake and it will be a safer place. Sometimes you bleeding hearts are too much. If your kid were bitten, I'll bet you'd turn around faster than a toy top.

• Like 2

Are you on drugs?

Live with it!

Where on earth do you get these ideas? Rats have plenty of predators besides cobras. there are so many more rats than cobras, I seriously doubt that extinct cobras would have any effect on the rat population. Nature always finds its equilibrium. If yo are trying to be serious, try harder.

• Like 1

" So by this reasoning all of the bears of Alaska, mountain lions, elephants, long list of animals that have killed even one human child should be extinct?"

Not to forget the animal that killed more human children than any other in the history of the known universe: humans!

• Like 1

" So by this reasoning all of the bears of Alaska, mountain lions, elephants, long list of animals that have killed even one human child should be extinct?"

Not to forget the animal that killed more human children than any other in the history of the known universe: humans!

I am pretty sure that is not "reasoning" at all. The post is based on the opinion that poisonous snake extinction would not be detrimental to the ecosystem or life as we know it. There is no bases or "reasoning" to suggest this opinion was shared when it came to other critters or animals including dairy cows that have surely caused child deaths. A reasonable argument would be to counter why the loss of poisonous snakes would have a big impact on the ecosystem ... and I will assume the poster doesn't have a problem with them being bread in labs for medical purposes but is speaking about them being got rid of in the wild. I too am of the opinion we'd be fine without them but am willing to listen to any reasonable argument why there loss in the wild would cause a big problem but jumping over to extinct tigers in Alaska or unrelated animals is not reasonable at all unless you can make a connection as to this extinction would be similar to the snakes in question.

Come on you eco-wimps, what's all this worry about ecosystems about, eh?

Put on one of Nisa's "We are the dominant species now" T-shirts and let's go out and slaughter every other living creature we can find. And while we're about it - have you ever hit your head on a tree branch or slipped on wet grass? So let's concrete the whole planet over and do away with all this annoying wildlife once and for all!

Seriously, I expected a lot of schoolboy humour on this thread, but was amazed at the the outpouring of venom(!) by so many posters against any wild creature that doesn't happen to it in with how they choose to live their lives.

• Like 2

Put on one of Nisa's "We are the dominant species now" T-shirts and let's go out and slaughter every other living creature we can find. And while we're about it - have you ever hit your head on a tree branch or slipped on wet grass? So let's concrete the whole planet over and do away with all this annoying wildlife once and for all!

Seriously, I expected a lot of schoolboy humour on this thread, but was amazed at the the outpouring of venom(!) by so many posters against any wild creature that doesn't happen to it in with how they choose to live their lives.

If we are to continue to be unreasonable with replies ... am I to assume you are in favor of keeping the HIV Virus from becoming extinct or cancer or flesh eating bacteria?

Edited by Nisa

If we are to continue to be unreasonable with replies ... am I to assume you are in favor of keeping the HIV Virus from becoming extinct or cancer or flesh eating bacteria?

blink.pngcheesy.gifclap2.gif

Not at all, but it is strange how nature just refuses to accept us as the all-powerul Masters of the Universe. Strange too, that medical researchers have found so many new drugs based on species of plants that I'm sure someone would have said "it's no problem if that plant becomes extinct".

My point is that there is room on this Planet for both us and all other species to survive. That doesn't mean that you will be forced to have a wild tiger in your garden, or share your bedroom with a few cobras, just that we should respect their right to survive as well as our own. Not an unreasonable standpoint I would have thought.

Edited by catmac
  • Like 1

...your point being?

One death by snake bite is one death too many, Bozo. There are no snakes in Ireland and there were no snakes in Alaska where I used to live and the environment did just fine. Kill every stinking poisonous snake and it will be a safer place. Sometimes you bleeding hearts are too much. If your kid were bitten, I'll bet you'd turn around faster than a toy top.

People who only think about themselves and not about their environment are doomed. There are far more dangers to a child in Thailand than a cobra! As I have said, cobras will warn you! I have lived with them for many years and never felt threatened. You sound like the same type of a person that runs from a dog and blames them for chasing you! Clueless! Go live in your protected area, where your children and everything else is protected behind a big wall... By the way, snakes climb walls!

• Like 1

Despite dozens of deaths per annum, Thailand's fatalities due to snakebite are relatively low compared with India. This may be due to both lack of income (shoeless farmers walking barefoot through fields, families sleeping on the ground) and indigenous beliefs in the larger country. More about this later.

Good statistics concerning snakebite deaths are difficult to obtain, due to difficulties in reporting. There are many species of poisonous snakes in SE Asia. The king cobra (Ophiophagus hannah) has been classified as "vulnerable" on the IUCN red list of threatened species, largely due to habitat loss which has seen its populations plummet 80% in 10 years in some parts of its range. http://www.iucnredli...etails/177540/0

From the World Health Organization (this page is informative, worth a read, and fascinating to boot, at least to me):

Thailand - between 1985 and 1989, the number of reported snake bite cases increased from 3,377 to 6,038 per year, reflecting increased diligence in reporting rather than a true increase in snake bites; the number of deaths ranged from 81 to 183 (average 141) per year. In 1991 there were 1,469 reported bites with five deaths, in 1992, 6,733 bites with 19 deaths and, in 1994, 8,486 bites with eight deaths. Deaths reported in hospital returns were only 11% of the number recorded by the Public Health Authorities. In a national survey of dead snakes brought to hospital by the people they had bitten, 70% of the snakes were venomous species, the most commonly brought species being Malayan pit viper (Calloselasma rhodostoma) 38%, white-lipped green pit viper (Trimeresurus albolabris) 27%, Russell’s viper (Daboia russelii siamensis) 14%, Indo-Chinese spitting cobra (Naja siamensis) 10% and monocellate cobra (N kaouthia) 7%. In an analysis of 46 fatal cases in which the snake had been reliably identified, Malayan kraits (Bungarus candidus) and Malayan pit vipers were each responsible for 13 cases, monocellate cobras for 12 and Russell’s vipers for seven deaths.

http://www.searo.who...on1024_3896.htm

More from the WHO:

In South East Asia, snake bite is an occupational hazard of rice farmers; rubber, coffee and other plantation workers; fishermen and those who handle snakes.

Snake bite: an occupational disease in South East Asia

oth_Publications_c3896ENimage001.gif Farmers (rice)

oth_Publications_c3896ENimage001.gif Plantation workers (rubber, coffee)

oth_Publications_c3896ENimage001.gif Herdsmen

oth_Publications_c3896ENimage001.gif Hunters

oth_Publications_c3896ENimage001.gif Snake handlers (snake charmers and in snake restaurants and traditional Chinese pharmacies)

oth_Publications_c3896ENimage001.gif Fishermen and fish farmers

oth_Publications_c3896ENimage001.gif Sea snake catchers (for sea snake skins, leather)

Most snake bites happen when the snake is trodden on, either in the dark or in undergrowth, by someone who is bare-footed or wearing only sandals. The snake may be picked up, unintentionally in a handful of foliage or intentionally by someone who is trying to show off. Some bites occur when the snake (usually a krait) comes in to the home at night in search of its prey (other snakes, lizards, frogs, mice) and someone sleeping on the floor rolls over onto the snake in their sleep. Not all snake bites happen in rural areas. For example, in some large cities, such as Jammu in India, people who sleep in small huts (jhuggies) are frequently bitten by kraits.

http://www.searo.who...on1024_3896.htm

Edited by DeepInTheForest
  • Like 1

This January 2012 piece, from the FirstPost India website, is essential reading if you are at all curious about the problem of snakebite. The author, Janaki Lenin (name duly noted) makes it clear that it is a problem of class and poverty, as well as criminal neglect on the part of authorities, as much as a natural threat. Native belief systems often have people going to a local shaman for treatment before seeking medical help, but this is linked to poverty as well-- snakebite care is not free in India.

One point he makes concerns production and availability of antivenin. It is not commonly available in the small villages where snakebite occurs. And its formulation needs study and updating, which has not been done. It is dispensed in dilute form, which means that an exorbitant number of vials of it must be administered:

....Despite advances in antivenom production techniques, those of the Indian companies remain relatively unchanged since the 1950s. Several international publications have criticized Indian antivenoms for their impurity and for causing complicating side effects.

All the companies claim identical potency for their antivenom serums, which is astonishingly low. This means many more vials are needed to neutralize the harmful effects of a venomous snakebite. One study says a person needs an average of 51 vials to treat cobra and krait bite, while 32 vials are needed to treat Russell’s viper bite. Another study quoted as much as 91 vials being used to neutralize cobra and krait bites.

http://www.firstpost...tes-175332.html

I was also struck by the fact that snake venom is really a stew of things that can vary depending on the age of the snake and what it has been eating. (Which may be mean the same thing-- younger snakes tend to eat frogs, while older ones became adept at mice and rats.) It can also depend on location-- the venom of Russell's vipers in the south of India differs from those in the north. So the creation of an effective antivenin may depend on study and adjusting what goes into it. The WHO is pretty clear this can be done, and has made recommendations. A recent study indicates that there are 46,000 deaths per year in India from snakebite (the Indian government had an official total of 2,000), and of course many more people who will suffer aftereffects.

Edited by DeepInTheForest