Where To Go To Escape The Loy Krathong Mayhem?

WinnieTheKhwai

Soon the annual misery will be upon us again: insane and dangerous mis-use of fireworks with no regard for crowds including children, setting off airborne incendiary devices that drop hot wax on people, endanger air traffic and cause fires, traffic gridlock downtown, mandatory dressing up women, 'women' and children in ridiculous costumes and general degenerate behaviour.

No places seems to get this worse than Chiang Mai, so where would sensible people go who want to escape all this? Any desert areas in Thailand with no water nearby to float krathongs, perhaps the Muslim South, or do we need to go abroad?

• Like 1

Many years ago, walking around Chiang Mai at night on Loy Krathong was dangerous, but it has improved a lot in the Thapae Gate area since then. The police are quite serious about controlling the louts these days and it is pretty safe. I used to lock myself inside for 3 nights.However, reportedly, down by the river is still out of control, so I never venture into that area.

Of course I don't believe that Winnie's 'concerns' are necessarily his own. He's just starting a hare, using complaints one reads here from year to year. As to a response:

It's been my experience, even now as tourist season opens, that touring the north - small towns only - is possible if one reserves ahead for lodging and travels in the mornings. Weekend travel is perhaps not a great idea, however, and a blanket or two might not go amiss. Afternoons in high hills or on the river can be tranquil, far away from the drinking crowds. Apart from anything else, there's fine eating to be had.

• Like 1

re.

However, reportedly, down by the river is still out of control,

nahhh ... they had the fireworks and alcahol problem sorted last year

and im sure it will be the same this year : )

re .. The North Western side of the moat (next to the old Spicy), already has banners up saying its a No Fireworks Zone

hes right and the posters are all round the moat : )

dave2

post-42592-0-22266200-1352890205_thumb.j

post-42592-0-22979100-1352890248_thumb.j

post-42592-0-58903300-1352890327_thumb.j

post-42592-0-63545700-1352890392_thumb.j

post-42592-0-32758600-1352890445_thumb.j

The really big important thing is where to go to buy fire works now?

My usual place, is the shop across the street from the Holiday Inn on Nong Hoi Rd. They normally sell the buddha / temple donation stuff, but around Loi Krathong and also New Years, they drag out a bunch of tables to the road side and sell a wide assortment of fireworks.

-Mestizo

re.

However, reportedly, down by the river is still out of control,

nahhh ... they had the fireworks and alcahol problem sorted last year

and im sure it will be the same this year : )

re .. The North Western side of the moat (next to the old Spicy), already has banners up saying its a No Fireworks Zone

hes right and the posters are all round the moat : )

dave2

Yeah, the police really killed all the fun around Narawat Bridge last year. Quite disappointing compared to previous years. Seemed to drive the fireworks people away from there and closer to the moat area/ Thapae gate area. Seemed pretty stupid.

I guess the signs mean they are going to try and crack down around the moat this year and let things return to normal around Narawat Bridge?

I'm certainly looking forwards to the fun and can't wait to toss a few firecrackers in Winnie's general direction! crazy.gif

-Mestizo

• Like 1

Appears to me that authorities are doing more each year (in 4) to make the occasion more suitable for families and some tourists. I've on two years strolled the length of the western side of the moat, and by and large seen picnics and perhaps a more serious take on it all by Thai people. Beautiful in some ways.

Barefoot:

I think it fair to say that I've never whined about anything here on ThVi, about CM, except regarding those who insult others without reason. Never said I leave town during this event - just offering alternatives as requested by OP.

Edited by CMX

Those that can afford it leave the country. Perfect opportunity with a string of public holidays, weekend and a dash of annual leave to string it all together.

The airport is packed with thai ppl bugging out

Those that can afford it leave the country. Perfect opportunity with a string of public holidays, weekend and a dash of annual leave to string it all together.

The airport is packed with thai ppl bugging out

Ohhhh, they don't have their own lounge with TV eh. sad.png

Oy likes Loy Kratong, does depend where you does spends it of course. Perhaps the Muslim South could be somewhat lacking in good cheer, fundamentalists aren't the best party people plus they have a different take on fireworks that includes more TNT and limbs. There again would make CM appealing again.

I'm certainly looking forwards to the fun and can't wait to toss a few firecrackers in Winnie's general direction! crazy.gif

I don't mind when I'm by myself, but with when I'm with the Mrs and kids I kind of like to keep them all in one piece.. ;)

Anyway, I may share my favored place to do some peaceful Loyying, later.

Oy likes Loy Kratong, does depend where you does spends it of course. Perhaps the Muslim South could be somewhat lacking in good cheer, fundamentalists aren't the best party people plus they have a different take on fireworks that includes more TNT and limbs. There again would make CM appealing again.

One goes to the south for songkram not sonkran

Edited by eeeya
  • Like 1

If it only lasts 2 or 3 days then I don't see the problem. I've heard that the water festival in the spring can last a week or more and that is too long to stay inside if you don't want to get wet. Besides, from what I've heard it only really happens in the evening when it gets dark. The rest of the day could be spent walking somewhere else but the heart of the city.