Blood Type - Do You Know Yours?

uptheos

I gave blood two weeks ago - just up the road from Archers and Zoe in yellow. All very professional. I was in UK between 1970 - 1980 and that wasn't a problem. Am A- which is apparently quite rare here.

They told me blood goes off after thirty days so I am now registered and they will call me if they need me. Irish pub just round the corner so good excuse for a Guinness and you can feel all smug while drinking it.

By the way, Lanna Care Net has a handy wallet card on which you can put all sorts of medical information as well as emergency contacts in case you trip over the sill and pitch face down in the gutter the next time you leave the bar. Check their web site.

I gave blood two weeks ago - just up the road from Archers and Zoe in yellow. All very professional. I was in UK between 1970 - 1980 and that wasn't a problem. Am A- which is apparently quite rare here.

They told me blood goes off after thirty days so I am now registered and they will call me if they need me. Irish pub just round the corner so good excuse for a Guinness and you can feel all smug while drinking it.

John, do you have the details of where you went to donate, hours, website, etc? I've been told that the upper age limit is age 60, but I don't know if that was just the policy of one hospital or an overall, national policy.

As the article that uptheos posted said, right now there is a national shortage of blood, especially Rh negative blood.

post-103443-0-42527300-1353164772_thumb.

It's on Ratpakinai Road just north of the traffic lights in the old city north east corner.

They are open Mon-Fridays 8.30am - 4pm

Saturdays 9am - 3pm

Closed on government holidays

Don't have website info but phone number is 053 418389-90 ext. 21

also 053 212 537

Edited by JohnGreen

O-Positive, long ago in the USA they refused to take my blood as I had traveled extensively in malaria regions

so I quit trying to donate. Don't know if that is still the policy there but obviously it couldn't be here.

I see (unfortunately) that some blood is currently needed and I hope someone is able to supply it.

This was exactly my point, how to get blood in an emergency?

All ideas are welcome on how to launch a 'blood available' (via donors) in Chiang Mai thread.

Yes Gonsalviz, A- is rare here - go to the blood doner place I mentioned earlier and give blood, they will then register you and call you when needed. Very professional service and you even get free mini sandwich and drinks afterwards! On another thread someone is needing A- right now.

I was shocked when my daughter was born in the Lanna hospital with type A+ blood as both my wife and I are type O+... so I snuck downstairs for a blood test and hey-presto--- seems I'm type A+ too :) silly me .... :)

Never hurts to know :)

David

I have absolutely no idea what mine is, nor have I ever known in the past. Suppose I should find out really...

It's quite important, especially if you might have a rare type. You will have seen many desperate threads asking for an urgent blood donor. Seems such a shame that someone might die, when there could possibly be blood available.

• Like 1

I was shocked when my daughter was born in the Lanna hospital with type A+ blood as both my wife and I are type O+... so I snuck downstairs for a blood test and hey-presto--- seems I'm type A+ too smile.png silly me .... smile.png

Never hurts to know smile.png

David

Imagine you would have had to cancel the cigar order, otherwise. :)

• Like 1

I have absolutely no idea what mine is, nor have I ever known in the past. Suppose I should find out really...

It's quite important, especially if you might have a rare type. You will have seen many desperate threads asking for an urgent blood donor. Seems such a shame that someone might die, when there could possibly be blood available.

I can't give blood and I've never been able to, I don't meet the weight requirement. Also more recently I've got very low blood pressure...

Good point, Uptheos about how you should know your blood type, not really for yourself, but to know if you have a rare type that could save lives for others.

Hospitals will always test the blood of someone needing a transfusion -- they don't rely on what a patient claims as a blood type because the test is quick and cheap and the consequences of getting it wrong are so great.

However, if you know your own blood type, then you could be alert to appeals for others needing a donor of your blood type.

O-Positive, long ago in the USA they refused to take my blood as I had traveled extensively in malaria regions

so I quit trying to donate. Don't know if that is still the policy there but obviously it couldn't be here.

O-positive. I too had the same experience. The only thing I remember is that I had traveled somewhere or taken some medication within 6 months of when I was trying to give.