Older Condo Electric Wiring Upgrade

cigar7

I want upgrade the power to an older condo to 100amps. The 2 main supply cables were 10mm and the electrician has put in a new cable 16mm copper cable. Is this adequate to support the current? The room panel is about 10 meters from electric meter room.

Also, the condo does not have a ground wire. The electrician says the normal practice is to put the ground cable to the building structure with a big steel bolt. Is this correct? He really cannot run a wire down 12 stories on the interior or exterior of the building and drive a stake into the ground.

Also, I have requested an outlet in the bathroom with an RCB because it is near water. I don't want to get electrocuted in case water is sprayed on the outlet. He quoted 1900 baht for the RCB Schneider breaker. Is this reasonable? The new panel in the room is a Bticino 12 breaker box.

Edited by cigar7

The electrician says the normal practice is to put the ground cable to the building structure with a big steel bolt.

That would be an Ufer ground and is acceptable following certain conditions. Here is a previous topic on condo grounds.

Where permitted by the PEA/MEA structural steel of the building may be used in lieu of an electrode. The earth conductor should be 10sqmm copper. The point of connection to the structural steel work should be accessible for the purposes of inspection and testing.

The incoming neutral should NOT be bonded to the earth bar, ie the TT system should be used.

RCD/RCBO protection should be provided on ALL circuits. PE conductors to all equipment including the earth contact of socket outlets.

16sqmm copper for the incoming mains with a 63A 2 pole MCB as a main switch.